Are there times when you feel a little too old for this? (Making games)

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Darth Equus, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Darth Equus

Darth Equus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    Before I say anything, no one feel personally attacked or criticized, please. This is based on my own introspection, but want to know your feelings in the matter.

But yeah. Just as the title says. Have you ever heard that voice in your head saying that you're too old to be playing with cute little sprites, anime girls, or pretending to be a hardened badass in a scorched land, fighting for whatever little is there to fight, from either a player or a creator perspective? That somehow you should have outgrown this, and have other more "mature" hobbies, or just dedicate yourself to your job or family, because making a game when you're not part of a video game company is a waste of your time and effort?

Now, don't get me wrong: The games we played in our youth weren't all created by brilliant 17-year olds in their free time; people like Miyamoto, Garriot, Kojima, Iwatani and Mikami are still working in the games industry, well beyond their 30s. I'm sure it's the same for games featuring Hello Kitty, Ben 10, PPG, etcetera.

The deal here is that those are commercial projects, where people get paid to make a product that will be sold in a specific market. And let's look at my case: I'm a married man who is past his 30s, with an MLP av, making an MLP fan game. Hard to avoid being pigeonholed into a stereotype, even keeping the paragraph above in consideration. (Not like I give much of a crap about it, heh. :stickytongue: )

So, have you ever felt that way? And if so, how do you deal with it?

2. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    For perspective: Almost 30, working a full job, sometimes with no rest days during production season.

Sometimes yes, but then I go back to why I started doing it on the first place, my goal if you would call it that, which is

"To make something that I can leave behind as proof that I existed"

and the fact that I find making games (or well trying to make games) to be fun..

I also dont really end up feeling like I should be doing something else, probably because I only work on games for a few hours a week so it doesn't feel like much to me.

I'm having fun doing it, I'm not doing anything bad and not compromising anyone, so for me all is good. We only live once so we should live it to the fullest, at least as long as that doesn't end up destroying other people's lives

Plus you know, that yearning for the joy of seeing/knowing that a game you made is being enjoyed by other people..

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  3. samkfj

samkfj Bug Powder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    All I can really say is this:

If your dream is to make something--then make it. Don't let anything or anyone stop you.

Lornsteyn likes this.
  4. Sevarihk

Sevarihk Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Also, its not like there is only cutsie anime games or hero-saves-the-world stories. Why not make a game with a serious topic like "papers, please" or "beholder". It doesnt always have to be flashy, simplistic and geared towards a younger audience. If you feel like making something more serious, maybe try doing that for a change. Maybe it makes you feel better.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  5. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    All the games we've bought and played, all of our favourites, they were made by adults. Children don't make videogames (inb4 mentioning the few rare exceptions), because they require vast amounts of knowledge and skill to make.

6. TWings

TWings The Dragon Whisperer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We probably all wonder at some point. But I guess you gotta do what you like.
    As you mentioned, it's not a paid job, so you'd better enjoy it or there's no point. Sure, MLP doesn't sound like the easiest path. You're probably pretty far from the average age of your target audiance. But there's probably a reason you chose that.

I'm also married and mid-thirties. I still love video-games, and the reasons I've started making them have not changed. If anything, real life take priority more often as I grow older (as a player I often find myself cheating my way out of long and tedious farming because I simply don't have the time anymore), but the passion is still there, and with any luck my children will be able to enjoy the games I've made someday.

Lornsteyn and Engr. Adiktuzmiko like this.
  7. BitBrosGames

BitBrosGames *Keeps ruminating* Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    *Applauses*

Some people use their spare time to play games, others consume series at breakneck speed and some would learn a new language or dancing or whatever. Making indie videogames is now more of a thing than ever, and you'll never know who you're going to end up inspiring with your creation.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  8. evmaster

evmaster Think Outside the Box Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The way I figure, we live one life. If making games make you happy or ponies make you happy, who cares what others think? Who cares if you are considered too old? Life is too short. Do what you want today as we aren't always given tomorrow to live.

kirbwarrior likes this.
  9. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not sure I agree. How is any hobby a waste of time? It's what we do to fill our down time. It's how we choose to express ourselves in the world. I play games, I make games, I write game stories. The world revolves around stories. Even before video games, there were stories. Long after video games are gone, there will be stories.

I learned a long time ago, in High School, through being bullied constantly for my enjoyment of Pokémon and Digimon and "pretend mock anime battles with friends", that people can only make you ashamed if you let them. People only have power if you give it to them. They don't know what to do when they accuse you of being a fan of something and you agree with them. "Wow, you actually LIKE Pokémon? That show for little KIDS?". Well, no, I don't really like the show itself. The main character is kind of a tool, but I like the games. They're pretty fun. They're about the bonds of friendship you form with what are essentially your pets and how you can go anywhere and do anything with those bonds. Plus, I like collecting the Pokedex entries and reading about the Lore of the world." Silence in return.

At work, it was sort of funny when people found out that I play D&D. "You play D&D? You're like a Nerd?". I say, "Yeah, it's storytelling and being social. I get together with my friends, we goof off, we have fun. We tell a group story, I make funny voices, and we catch up with each other. We don't dress up or anything and we often abstract things out to save time, but we have fun." Sometimes, I even tell them some of the stories if they ask. So many people talk about D&D as if it's this game they play. For me and my group, it's something social we do together. You know, instead of going to a bar to get drunk and not have any kind of substantive conversation... We play a game together and catch up on personal family news or issues during breaks and have fun. We bring food and share with each other.

I may never publish a game at all. I may never get beyond a Demo for my game. For me, that's okay. It isn't something I ever consider NOT doing. I want to tell a story, so I go through the hoops to tell it. Otherwise, that story will sit in my head forever and drive me crazy. It isn't my story to tell. It belongs to the characters. It's just my job to tell it. It's my job to make what falls between those stories compelling (combat, etcetera).

I don't feel like it's chidish. I haven't felt that way about anything I do for a very long time. Not since High School. I'm over 30 now. I have a good job with a lot of responsibilities, so I have less time and desire to engage with my "childish" pastimes, but I still do from time to time. I do what I want to do. I've pulled my mom into playing less traditional board games or even playing the Wii with me. I just do what I do. I'll probably end up being 90 and still making games. After all, I've been doing it since I was 6. I'll probably do it until I die. Stories to tell, fun to be had, objectives to give players, and praise for my players doing things well. The games aren't about me. They're about my players. What my players will do. How they will shape their journey. How they can feel like heroes.

It's just my desire to help them get there. I don't think there's anything "too old" about wanting that out of life.

10. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    the first thing I changed from my game, were the cute little sprites.

that's called training.
    the way we're going, better to be ready, to be a hardened badass in a scorched land, fighting for whatever little is there to fight.

gardening, doesn't require skill.
    model making, I've done it when I was 6 years old..... I can do it with a 3D program now.
    I've always been more mature than the average kids around me.... I was watching Star Trek when other kids were watching Pokemon, so, there's that.

family, is overrated.
    making games, is what I want my job to be.

11. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not really. I'm going to be 30 in another year. I think maybe a lot of that "am I too old?" comes from the attitudes many of us in Gen X and Gen Y grew up hearing in respects to games. How many times have you heard, "it's a waste of time," or "you're rotting your brain?" Many of us heard that. Games used to be viewed purely as toys but we know that not to be entirely true and the attitude as a whole is starting to shift as well. TV is often viewed that way as well, but there are series as complex (and I'd argue more) and artistically directed as films. Few people would call films a waste.

We now have games where the primary target audience is adults, even senior-aged adults. For example, my mom played Farmville since it came out until she parted this Earth and she loved that game, played it daily, and made tons of meaningful personal connections with people all over the country. It was more than a game to her. She certainly didn't feel too old.

I think it's becoming common to embrace liking what you like. I like cartoons. I like stuffed animals and plush toys. I like games. I don't see any shame in that.

kirbwarrior and Punamaagi like this.
  12. Mordridakon

Mordridakon I am a dragon! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm 36, and no, you're never too old to indulge a hobby. Heck, if RPGMAKER is around in some form in another 30 years, I may indulge again :)

13. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Uh - 50+, wife, mother, full time job. I spent 3-4 of the last 10 years pulling in a full-time income by making games. That was my job then. And it was more fun, more interesting, and more fulfilling than any other job I've ever had (and the income was on a par as well).

Maybe it's not your job. You are allowed to have a hobby, and a hobby should be something you enjoy doing.

You say it as if making games was a waste of time, like spending all your time watching youtube or netflix or some other unproductive endeavour. Making games is hard work and takes a lot of skill, dedication and perseverance. Don't downplay the effort that goes into it, or the experience/learnings/discipline you get out of it.

If it's a hobby, just make sure to keep it in balance with everything else on your plate. As long as you're spending enough time on the more important things, there's no reason to feel guilty about putting your free time into making a game.

14. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    i made it my JOB. i'm 35 and still get made fun of for being a nerd and fam calls me childish because i still buy games (for research!). it keeps me going in life.

Canini and Ms Littlefish like this.
  15. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To paraphrase the author C.S. Lewis, yes, there was a time I thought I might be too old for it.

Then I got a bit older and thought that feeling was, itself, childish. You can't be "too old" to enjoy something you love.

16. Darth Equus

Darth Equus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    Thanks for your responses and opinions, everyone. It's quite refreshing to hear so many rational answers to the questions that inner voice asks. (I like to call it the Little Cretin). Heh, you may have renewed my motivation a little.

17. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Hmm, people seem to be a bit older on average than I expected (you can count me among the 30+ for reference). The only other developer forum I am a member of has an average age range of 25-30, making me feel a bit old at time. Although it surprises me a bit I guess it makes sense since those that stick with rpgmaker tends to do so for a long time.

kaukusaki likes this.
  18. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah; it's anecdotal but I'm in my 30s. I've had RPG Maker in various guises for many years, but I only really developed the "follow-through" for big projects in the last few years!

kaukusaki and Canini like this.
  19. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    30 in may, but the answer is no.
    Age is just a number after all :p

kaukusaki and Canini like this.
  20. wonderjosh3000

wonderjosh3000 Veteran Veteran

The Frosty Plains of The Great White North
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nope, not usually! I find it to be a creative outlet. Especially if you're really using your creativity well, as in stretching yourself in story-telling and graphics and all that, and not just making a throwaway project.

I get why someone could start thinking it's silly, being "video games" and how they're "for kids," but that's a matter of perspective and understanding. So you just gotta shift that! It's a creative project! And other people are able to experience the finished product and you can share it around the world, essentially.

But for me it's an outlet to create something that I want to make, a story/experience that I want to tell/share. And I'm 33, so I'm getting up there, too, haha.