Are there times when you feel a little too old for this? (Making games)

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Darth Equus, Feb 23, 2019.

1. mazzy-elf

mazzy-elf Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm almost 31 my BF and I play games, DND twice a week, play with fuse beads or colouring books and I play hide and seek with the cat I sometimes get that little voice but then I think to myself it makes me happy how sad would it be not to have hobbies or an imagination and sit in front of the telly being entertained by the imagination of others because I was too 'grown up' to have adventures of my own. I'd rather be looked down at for being imature and having fun than being boring.

Hyouryuu-Na likes this.
  2. Gallimed

Gallimed Villager Member

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You are never too old to make games. If you start worrying about your age or how you spend your time then you may reconsider what you are doing. When you'll have a job and understand what sort of money you're making while doing something you don't like, then you'll see why it is important to make a game to earn some money on the side, plus you'll have fun doing so

3. Crusixblade

Crusixblade Subject to Redaction at Random Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Too old? Hah...Sometimes I think I'm too young and I'm in my mid-20s.

4. Henryetha

Henryetha Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    I am 36.

The only thing in my mind, when it comes to age, is the worry, wether I'll be physically able to continue at a certain age.. :x

5. MachineElf

MachineElf Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm new to all of this, only just getting into it as a hobby. I'm also 32, married, working full time and I just purchased a house.

When I was in my mid twenties I cut out anything to do with video games, because I thought an adult needed to focus on more important things. That only made me resentful and uptight. If I got into RPG Maker a decade ago I'd be creating awesome games today. Why the change now? Perhaps by virtue of life experience I don't care enough about fitting into an arbitrary definition of adulthood, masculinity, responsibility, or anything else.

There are a lot of things out there that can complicate your life, so if something brings you a little joy, you should never have to apologise for it.

kirbwarrior likes this.
  6. kirbwarrior

kirbwarrior Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    No matter the hobby, having a hobby is better than having none, and any creation-based often helps mental health far more than people realize.

MachineElf likes this.
  7. MachineElf

MachineElf Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, don't overlook the importance of a creative outlet. It's very good for you mentally and emotionally.

We live in a culture that only sees obvious benefit in doing things that generate income - which is why you see a lot of younger developers posting questions about how much money you can make putting together an indie title.

Nothing wrong with working a regular job and filling your spare time with hobbies that satisfy and excite you.

kirbwarrior likes this.
  8. WilsonScarloxy

WilsonScarloxy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I don't understand the obsession of the world to age everything. At this point i consider games as another kind of artform and it shouldn't be devaluated. In any case age can make gaming interesting, because I feel like the gaming experience can vary depending on the age of the developer.

Will.

9. Astel

Astel The (grey) knight with that funny look Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm actually well past 40 and I don't see anything wrong with playing or making games, neither with watching anime and things like that. If you enjoy something, do that. It doesn't matter how old you are.

10. mariopepper

mariopepper Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It was sometimes. Honestly I hate this feeling cause it bothering a lot

11. Chorvaqueen

Chorvaqueen Professional Tonio Apologist Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Sometimes it does get to me then I'll remember a good amount of games aimed at younger audiences were made by adults on a paycheck.

12. L.W. Flouisa

L.W. Flouisa NumeroHex Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I do, mostly because I started back when I still went by Tentacles on RPG Maker VX dot net. Yep, you would be correct, an entire ten years or more. Apparently when I tried learning Ruby, I got really sucked into it, and basically forgot about this engine series. And now I have about as much in common with RPG Maker as William Gibson does Neuromancer.

But trying to change that. It might take a huge learning curve though.

13. Hyouryuu-Na

Hyouryuu-Na Poker-faced creepy girl Veteran

First Language:
    Bangla
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I feel too old for game development a bit too often. I'll be 19 this month and I'll be really busy with higher education after I get admitted to a good university (what people call college in western countries). I'm always busy with something or another and have little time to spend on game development. Furthermore there's nobody to help me, it's only me and I feel frustrated sometimes. I feel like okay, I've tried what I can. I'm too old for this. I have other stuff to do.

...Also, where I live, girls are married off rather quickly. By the time you're 22/23 parents start pressurizing about it. I don't have much time left and tbh it's so disgusting I dont know why but I find the topic very disturbing. But that's the truth and I feel like this is the time. If I can't complete my game now, I can't later. I'll be too busy taking care of my 'family'... omg... anyways, I feel old but this is my dream. Something I enjoy doing. I have to hold on and complete my game, at least one game before I can no more.

StaticUndertones likes this.
  14. xaev

xaev Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I guess if you enjoy it you're never too old to do anything.

Marsigne likes this.
  15. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I feel old when I open RPG Maker XX.. this is not a joke, but making games? I love it!
    I personally use Game Maker Studio 2 and picked up Defold for Lua Game Development! Unity trumps all tho...

16. Marsigne

Marsigne Sephiroth Veteran

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Unless you intend to make a child's game, I don't see how you'd be feeling you're too old for this. ;)

17. kirbwarrior

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Even then, I hear there's this Shigeru guy who makes those and loves it ;)

18. Marsigne

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Still, the mainstream will probably make you feel you're "too old". The point of chibis is NOT to cater to child's, so they're probably using the pallete as an excuse to insult rather than make any serious arguments.

19. kirbwarrior

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Absolutely, but then I see the same for basically any hobby. From what I can see, the mainstream thinks you're too old for hobbies once you're in the work force.

20. Marsigne

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm talking about chibis, not hobbies in general. That's another topic.