Are we THIS lazy???

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by byronclaude, Jan 29, 2015.

1. byronclaude

byronclaude Master of all things... (except the things I am no Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Okay, this is slightly comical so hear me out...    (or, read me out??   whatever)

Twenty or so years ago, it was slightly common to journey to a cybercafe, pay for a small amount of time on a computer (as well as like a snack, a pepsi, and whatever else we decided to settle down with) then log onto the internet, navigate to the appropriate website, and then have the pleasure of interacting on the world wide web.  It was something well worth the time and energy in like 1995.

Okay, be brutally honest here...

My question to all of you:

Can you recall moments in which you had a valid reason to go online (social media, or to answer a question, or even to come here...)...      but because the actual act of picking up a tablet, or grabbing a computer mouse seemed just too strenuous of an activity - the quest to go online was simply forsaken?   :D       ...think about this and reply with your answer and commentary on the subject.

2. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I usually get lazy when I see a newcomer's with bad attitude question.

Otherwise, even tired as hell, I try to help if I can. 

byronclaude likes this.
  3. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am online or at my PC during most of my free time, so no, not really. Even if I did feel lazy, I could choose to not go to my PC or get my tablet, but then what? Just sit somewhere doing nothing? Lol, I don't think I could ever be so lazy that I'd rather be doing nothing than take that little bit of effort to move to my PC and turn it on so I could do something fun/productive.

byronclaude likes this.
  4. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was uhhh.... something...

Geoff Moore, byronclaude and mlogan like this.
  5. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Rarely do I not bother, because usually I at the very least have my phone at hand and so if I want to look up something, I've got it right there.

byronclaude likes this.
  6. Neon Black

Neon Black The Classy Prostitute Member

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    I work 9 hours of 3rd shift every weekend. I bring my laptop with me to do whatever while I wait for the phone to ring (average of about 1.5 calls per hour or about 14 the entire shift). There have been several occasions when I chose not to set up my laptop because I'm too lazy to set it up, so I'll do stuff on my phone all night instead.

7. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My computer chair is the most used piece of furniture in my apartment.  My set up on the computer desk has basically been designed to let me be as lazy as humanly possible.  As in, I have two game systems and a television on the computer desk sitting next to my PC monitor and a phone on the counter to the left of my desk so I don't have to get up to answer it.  Likewise, I have a super massive (more than 44 gallons) trash bin between my desk and the phone so as to avoid having to get up to throw things away.  I also have notecards, pens, markers, colored pencils, and varying varieties of paper in front of my monitor, should I need to jot anything down.  My games for my consoles are right next to the phone in 3 different stacks and I have a fourth stack of games sitting next to one of my consoles on the shelf.  I have batteries sitting behind me on my clothes hamper as well as several of my handheld gaming devices.  I have extra controllers and other video game accessories behind me on the floor next to my hamper and a box full of my "important mail" next to that (things like bills of sale, car titles, insurance information, etcetera).  Likewise, I also have my power strip and modem in reaching distance of my PC, should I want to switch out consoles or do something else.  I also have my salt shaker on my computer desk as well as a perpetually filled bottle of water as well as a bottle of aspirin (well, it's usually aspirin or acetaminophen...  But I currently have a bottle of Ibuprofen because it was cheaper at the time).  I also have a glass I clean up and set on the counter behind my games, should I want to drink some juice or something other than a soda or water.  Oh, my TV remote?  It's sitting right next to my computer speakers in case I want to turn my TV on or off.

You want a lazy computer guy...  That's me.  If I could fit a fridge and a toilet within swivel distance of my chair, I'd never get up once I got home.  Well, and a stove....  And bed...

Oh!  I also have a book shelf literally 4 feet away from me on the other side of my computer desk as well...  You know, in case I want to read at the computer.

byronclaude likes this.
  8. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've recently gotten very lazy about pulling out the laptop.. infact I think this is the 2nd time I've been on in it a week. I never had to go to a internet cafe since my mother was a computer nerd when I was growning up. When I was 4 or so.. we got our first commodore 64. A few years later, the internet became the next best thing. I remember having a few modems before we got this bad boy of the dial up world. Lots of fond memories of online chatting and that all to familar dial up sound. We even had a new phone line put in so we could stay connected all the time.

In my late teens, my mom moved to Cali for a job and I decided to go with her after a year or two.. and they had.... CABLE Modems as a new thing. And wow.. those just changed everything :) Then we moved to this small community outside of San Fransisco and there was no access to DSL or cable, we had to use dail up again and life sucked a bit. It has since been a requirement that any place me or my mother (I'm now much older and have my own family and house), MUST have high speed internet or it's not worth living there. I'm just glad my husband agrees on this point :)

But yes... I have gotten lazy and rarely touch my laptop in the past month or two. I got a andriod based smart phone about a year ago. I played little puzzle games with it for a while and then my 3 year older daughter discovered she could watch her educational youtube videos on it and I could barely pry it out of her little hands when I'd get a phone call. She got 7" tablet for xmas and now I have my phone full time (her grandparents rejoice because they no longer get phone calls from their youngest granddaughter late at night). But now my addiction to android based games has come around =P That and we got Disney Infinity 2.0 for our daughter for xmas as well. So I spend a lot of time building worlds in there with lots of puzzles she can play with.

So yes.. I'm that lazy now that I don't want to walk into a different room.. to pick up my portable laptop (it's not even a desk top which I've owned several of over the years).. when I have the handy phone that I can do 99% of the things I need on it.

Speaking of laziness and tech. My daughter is learning to read, but she's been writing her letters for almost a year now. So we write out words and stuff for her to practice with.. and I realized... My handwriting is way out of practice because everything is digital now. I was even getting hand cramps from writing.. The last time i got hand cramps from writing was in college/high school ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
    mlogan, byronclaude and ?????? like this.
  9. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I remember back in the day (dial-up modems) the internet was always a big treat for me, and I would structure my time around being able to use it.

Now, I think I have gotten rather lazy, at least when it comes to my laptop. I mean, I gotta fish out the power cord, god, plug it in, hook up the mouse... it is this big huge 2 minute ordeal that I just can't be bothered with. 

10. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's why I invest in desktops instead of laptops...  That, and the 500 recharge limit on rechargeable batteries...

11. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    me I use laptops because I need my comp on the go... anyway, I mostly get lazy nowadays to eat breakfast before going to work...

12. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My laptop is set up on a rolly tray thing in front of my couch. Which is one of those ones with the recliner ends. So I can like, recline while doing work.

I do get lazy about finding my tablet though sometimes. Or sometimes I watch videos on my laptop because I'm too lazy to plug an external thumb drive into the thing I play videos on the tv on, even though I prefer watching stuff on the tv.

13. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I guess I got lazy, I'm trying my best to hold down the fort and not do any grocery shopping for as long as possible. On day 4 now. I should probably go leave my computer now ...

Bukarett, Alexander Amnell and mlogan like this.
  14. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Nope not lazy.  I use a desktop when I'm at home. When I'm on the go or sick, I use my laptop.

15. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Today I had a 50 minute break, and was too tired to set up my laptop so I read instead.

Alexander Amnell likes this.
  16. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm glad my wife does the grocery shopping. I would just continue to scrape the back of the cabinets until I was eating the paint.

17. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That when you order pizza instead.

18. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    To lazy to use a computer? No. To lazy to turn it off... Sometimes. I also try to be as lazy about getting groceries as possible, celianna's definitely got the right idea there.

As for using the internet in general; I could probably do to be a bit lazier with it to be honest.

Bukarett likes this.
  19. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I wouldn't say I've ever been so lazy to not use my computer. I work on my desktop but if I'm unwell or relaxing, I'll use my laptop. I'll stream all my shows and videos from my laptop onto my TV and continue reading things. I have my first smart phone and while I don't use it for much it's nice to not have to boot up a computer every time to check my email.

But you know screwed up lazy thing I do? I have no problem loading the dishwasher or the washer. But unloading or moving things to the drier. Or worse, getting things out of the drier for wet clothes to be moved into the drier. It's futile. I fail. 

Bukarett likes this.
  20. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    sometimes I open the computer, get so lazy that I just lie on my bed, then fall asleep

AwesomeCool likes this.