Are you getting a Nintendo Switch this holidays?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Astel, Nov 10, 2017.

?

Are you getting a Switch?

1. I already have one.

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Yes, I will get one.

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Not this time.

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Never, I don't care about it.

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Astel

Astel The (grey) knight with that funny look

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    While I wanted to wait to see if there are good deals on Black Friday, I feared that the console might sold out with the release of Mario Odyssey, so I bought it last night... hopefully I'll get it tomorrow. Ever since the N64 I never got a Nintendo console until it was on their way out, but somehow the Switch convinced me to get it in the first year :kaoswt2:
    Anyone else getting one?

2. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I bought one back in June to play Zelda Breath of the Wild. Have since also bought Mario Kart Deluxe. Not sure about the Mario Odyssey game though. Even though it looks like a good game, I doubt I'll have time for it.

EDIT; Besides I'm more of an RPG person (go figures since I'm on this forum).

3. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It like the general idea behind the Switch. The price tag, when all is said and done, has thus far destroyed my interest in it.

4. Philosophus Vagus

Philosophus Vagus The drunken bird dog of rpg maker

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No. but then after ps4 I've kind of decided to swear off consoles entirely. Don't know if I'm growing up or just becoming more of a cynic, but the games themselves I buy have been found lacking to me comparatively to the amount of cash I have to shell out for them, so the idea of continuing with the console cycle at this point seems a little foolish in that respect. Not to say that there aren't some fun games I'm missing out of, but I fear during it's life cycle I'd only find 3-4 such titles amidst a sea of games I'd either not buy or regret buying after the fact. That's how I feel about both my 360, wii and ps4 at this point, so at least I'm well rounded in my skepticism for whether the professional companies can still entertain me or not, but currently I'm pretty much done with AAA conglomerates period.

5. Astel

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I do have an Xbox One (original) and I found that I don't care much about it. PS4 doesn't interest me either, but I still have a soft spot for Nintendo... let's see how it goes with the Switch

6. NoahB

NoahB Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I got a Switch around one month after launch. It's my main gaming device. I play Zelda, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey and soon Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Such a good launch year, probably the best of any console thus far. I can't wait for Metroid Prime, Kirby, Yoshi, and especially the Pokémon game that will be coming out.

7. Hudell

Hudell Dog Lord

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My play time is when I'm on the train, so I usually buy every portable device. I got a switch a few weeks ago, but I haven't really enjoyed any game on it yet. My odyssey hasn't arrived yet, but the game I'm really looking forward is Xenoblade (I've been a Tetsuya Takahashi fan since I was a kid).

If the 3DS history is repeated, the Switch's best year will be 2019, but I hope it gets a Library as strong as the DS did, now that nintendo doesn't need to make a home console anymore.

Uzuki likes this.
  8. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I have a PS4 and 3DS, Im happy with both, there are still enough games coming in the future.
    The only interesting game for Switch at the moment is Zelda and I dont buy a console for just one game.

9. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph (RM Tyrant - Overlord of Memes)™

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As cool as the Nintendo Switch looks my answer is NO. I stopped using consoles years ago, last one was the Xbox360 and is completely useless nowdays. A laptop is always a better choice than any portable console for me, if I really want to play games I can use it and I can use it also to both develop my projects and work. Any good portable pc is always a triple win because it gives you unmatched versatility and power.
    Maybe I'm getting old but I really don't see the point of using a console anymore nowdays. I'm probably more interested in making games rather than playing them and I prefer indies over AAAs. :p

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Philosophus Vagus likes this.
  10. Seacliff

Seacliff Self Proclaimed Professional

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Already got one. I'm planning to get a PS4 for black Friday, something probably long overdue.

11. Astel

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, of course a laptop has versatility, but it's not really a portable gaming device, it's cumbersome and has a very poor battery life if you are actually playing games. Taking out your laptop, and using a wired or wireless game pad is not really optimal.
    Also it's a good thing that the Switch is an ideal platform for indie games, which alread has lots of them. I don't know if you are really getting old... i mean, i'm already 41 :kaoswt2: but you like what you like, and dislike what you dislike :kaohi:

My Switch should arrive tomorrow :kaopride:

12. sabao

sabao Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm saving for a mid-range gaming laptop for gaming, game dev and work purposes first, but I am looking at getting a Switch before the end of the year if finances allow.

Switches are apparently crazy hard to get here. Retailers always seem to not have any in stock and when a store does have them, there's a crazy long line for it. Hopefully I find a store that has one in stock soon. Otherwise, I guess there's Amazon. :/

13. Astel

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    As an update, my Switch arrived safe and sound.
    How can Nintendo alway create such perfect experiences? (not perfect games, mind you) Playing Zelda Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey feels very different to a lot of modern games... I can't really explain it, but It's a great feeling.

14. Hudell

Hudell Dog Lord

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To me, Breath of the Wild felt like a very generic rpg with a zelda skin. It didn't feel half as good as any previous zelda game. With huge empty areas, no dungeons and no new items/tools/weapons to find throughout the game, it went straight down my list of favorite 3D zeldas to the second last place. (Skyward Sword is still in last place, but even though I liked it less in general, it felt like a better Zelda game).

15. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Majoras Mask and Ocarina of Time are my favorite Zelda games.^^
    Still I want to play Breath of the Wild someday.

16. Confederacy

Confederacy The fire in your heart

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was thinking about getting one on Black Friday, but I've gone all in on a full rebuild of my aging desktop PC, since I plan on buying a home in the Spring and this is my last chance to do a full rebuild. I'm going to stick it on my Christmas list and see if anyone will get me it.

17. Johnny_Retro

Johnny_Retro Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hadn't enough money to buy the Switch at launch, so i'm goin' to get one this christmas.