GambleMountain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm curious. I have a VX Ace license myself, how many of you are considering upgrading to MV? 

I'd really like to myself.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm moving and I don't think I'll ever use Ace again :}

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Not me: I can't afford it at the moment, and Ace has everything I need anyway. Plus, there are a ton of amazing resources available for Ace, and I think it will be a while before MV catches up in that department. So I'll finish this project (which will probably take a year or so) and then decide whether to get MV for my next project.

GambleMountain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That is a good point. A lot of scripts and things have been written for ace... ah I hadn't quite thought of that.

Javascript is a more familiar language to people though, so it won't take a year to catch up. 

gRaViJa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Untill now i was still using XP, though not very active. MV is the first engine that convinced me to upgrade. I picked up VX and VX Ace during a Steam sale, but never bothered to actually create a project with them.

ALTERED STATE ?

They/Them
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've preordered MV already and I will most likely use Ace still along with 2k3 and XP for random uses and mini games  :p

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hope to be moving from RM2K3 to MV, but not 100% sure about it yet. I do have VX Ace too, but I never liked it that much.

GambleMountain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Off-topic but

What is Teamgood? 

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
I've preordered MV and can't wait to play around with it, but I'll still finish my current project on Ace.

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have all RPG Makers licenses now so I'm allowed to use the RTP materials of these on MV. I was making a game on RPG Maker VX Ace, but I didn't went too far with it, also had a lot of compatibility issues with the scripts.

As MV comes with a lot of plugins free of compatibility issues and with the most essential functions that I need, I don't mind start again my game there, however I plan to make a completely different game first to train my eventing skills and get more used on this new engine, also it will have me entertained until more plugins and scripts are released, like Khas Ultra Lightning, TBS, Advance Party System, Pixel Movement, etc etc that I will require for my master game so I won't have to request again and again to someone if they can make plugins like those allowing me to use them on my commercial games.

In addition, the main reason of which I haven't went too afar with my projects, specially on VX Ace, was due those reasons:

1-Performance issues

2-Games are for Windows-Only

3-Crappy REAL (not pseudo like Zeus' one) Full-screen resolution, no way to change it even with modified/external dlls in some cases risking to break the EULA.

4-Loss of support and bugs not being fixed specially on most famous battle system which works like Yanfly's one for MV.

5-Hummm.... more things  :barf:

RPGMakerMV let me export the games for Android, Mac and Windows (I exclude iOS because I don't have a Mac :blink: ), and those the biggest thing I always wanted, as a future developer of commercial games, it will give me way more benefits than if I make games for Windows-Only, all people plays mobile games everywhere and can be played anytime as long you have a decent phone, also people plays more 2d games in mobiles than in computers unless those are browser-games (MV also let you export your games for browsers!).

The things of above gives me more than enough reasons to stop use all old RPGMakers and continue all my games on MV. However if someone has more than 50% of project on any other version, if it's a long game, I recommend to finish it there, then/or make a continuation of the story with MV.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zoltor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not me, atleast not for a long time.

With MV, I really only care about the networking capabilities, the ability to change the grid size, and the higher res out of the box screen, as I would love to make a multiplayer TCG, but I definitely don't see any point to move my current project over.

I also don't feel, even with the jump start with plugins it will have, I'll beable to do anything even remotely close to everything I can do in VX Ace now, in MV at release. There are so many scripts for VX Ace, It's not funny, and while Yanfly working on doing some is a big+ (he converted his message script into a Javascript plugin, which is a must use), unless Hime is converting most of he more useful scripts over, I forsee it being a long, long time before MV can catch up to VX Ace.

Another issue is, I don't know how to do Javascript at all, so It's not likely that I'll even beable to modify existing plugins to fit my needs. Oh speaking of that, I', not too fond of the fact you can't modify the Javascript within the editor either, It's just a hassle/waste of time having to edit them in a outside program, jump back into RPG Maker to test, just to find out you did something incorrectly, and then having to go back to that outside program, to try and fix such.

I'm sure the problem is on the Javascript side initially, because it requires to be in a special format, but seeing how MV is based all around Javacript to beginwith, would it have been so hard to add a Java script editir/reader to the editor.

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I already have! Loving MV and everything it gives us scripters :3

I won't be heading back to ace any time soon~

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I thought I would not, but the plugin previews and all showed me most of what I was looking for or trying to implement would be in MV either natively or trough Yanfly engine P.

Also, big up to Shaz converter and tile size changer :)

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Not me, atleast not for a long time.

With MV, I really only care about the networking capabilities, the ability to change the grid size, and the higher res out of the box screen, as I would love to make a multiplayer TCG, but I definitely don't see any point to move my current project over.

I also don't feel, even with the jump start with plugins it will have, I'll beable to do anything even remotely close to everything I can do in VX Ace now, in MV at release. There are so many scripts for VX Ace, It's not funny, and while Yanfly working on doing some is a big+ (he converted his message script into a Javascript plugin, which is a must use), unless Hime is converting most of he more useful scripts over, I forsee it being a long, long time before MV can catch up to VX Ace.

Another issue is, I don't know how to do Javascript at all, so It's not likely that I'll even beable to modify existing plugins to fit my needs. Oh speaking of that, I', not too fond of the fact you can't modify the Javascript within the editor either, It's just a hassle/waste of time having to edit them in a outside program, jump back into RPG Maker to test, just to find out you did something incorrectly, and then having to go back to that outside program, to try and fix such.

I'm sure the problem is on the Javascript side initially, because it requires to be in a special format, but seeing how MV is based all around Javacript to beginwith, would it have been so hard to add a Java script editir/reader to the editor.
I agree with you on the plugins. But on the Javascript issue... What's the big deal? Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't you just clicking on a program window (that'll most likely remain open) instead of clicking on the "script" icon in the map editor? And aren't you just clicking a "save" button instead of clicking "apply" in the script editor? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's the case, I wouldn't call it an issue. Seems like you're reaching on that one.

For me personally, the ability to play and share games on a mobile OS is too good to pass up. I live on my own and work 40+ hours a week. I have a passion for RPGs but I don't really have the time to sit at a PC and play them. Now I can play them on my breaks, while I'm babysitting my little cousin, while I'm waiting for public transit, while I'm visiting my parents, during commercials on tv, while I'm laying in bed, etc, etc.

It's an amazing thing. :)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yep. I'll be using MV for my own projects. But I'll still use Ace for forum support purposes.

Zoltor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I agree with you on the plugins. But on the Javascript issue... What's the big deal? Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't you just clicking on a program window (that'll most likely remain open) instead of clicking on the "script" icon in the map editor? And aren't you just clicking a "save" button instead of clicking "apply" in the script editor? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's the case, I wouldn't call it an issue. Seems like you're reaching on that one.

For me personally, the ability to play and share games on a mobile OS is too good to pass up. I live on my own and work 40+ hours a week. I have a passion for RPGs but I don't really have the time to sit at a PC and play them. Now I can play them on my breaks, while I'm babysitting my little cousin, while I'm waiting for public transit, while I'm visiting my parents, during commercials on tv, while I'm laying in bed, etc, etc.

It's an amazing thing. :)

Well aside from the fact that RPG Makers tend to be find of ram hogs, it might not even be that simple. From what I have seen previewed, is that It's not just a simple as dropping the plugin file into the project file, which the engine just automatically reads from. You "technically" have to import them as well, so odds are you probally need to export to edit, edit it, and reimport such back in.

Basically it makes scripting as long winded, as it already is for editing tilesets. In Ace it would take us seconds to make a simple change, where in MV, it will most likely take much longer, and god forbid if you can't figure out the issue the first few times around.

It's not the end of the world, don't get me wrong, but It's definitely a noticeable negative, unless already install plugins auto update in the editor, but that's probally wishful thinking there.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you talking about making changes as a scripter, or as someone using the script? For end users, it is MUCH easier to configure the scripts, because it's obvious what can/should be changed. As a scripter, it's really not that hard to add the options for users to change them.

To add a script to your game in Ace, you have to

- copy the code

- insert a new slot at the right place

- paste the code

- check to see if there IS customization needed (this is where a LOT of people fall down and have issues because they haven't bothered to set it up)

- make the changes for customization and hope they're editing the right thing, in the right way

- if they want to disable it at any time, they have to go to the script slot, select all the code, and comment it out

To add a plugin to your game in MV, you have to

- save the plugin to your plugins folder

- go to the plugin manager and select the plugin from the list of those available

- check the customization options to see if they want to change any from the default values

- if they want to disable it at any time, they have to go to the plugin manager and turn the plugin off

And unless you're a scripter, it shouldn't really matter to you how easy/difficult it is for the scripter to make things happen.

This IS getting away from the topic though. If you're really concerned about it, MV will be out in a few days and you can take a look at how things work.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I ended up needing to do a chapter 1 map remake. WIP, animated version to come later. ;)
Stream will be live shortly! I will be beginning a play-through of Resident Evil 4! Feel free to drop by!

1st iteration on castle interior in Tiled.
I've started up Pillars of Eternity. It's interesting how the game does a "select choice" cutscene using still image art for dramatic flair. I wonder if that might work for my RPGMaker project.
The self-righteous indignation of family when you expect them to pay back money you've leant to them never ceases to amaze me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeAngelis