RMMV Aria - Lost in Shadows Beta V2.0 Released 05/02/20

Do you want to see a full game fleshed out from the concepts you see here?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Chroma-Creative-Solutions

Graphic Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
SplashScreen.png
CONTAINS REFERENCES TO SPELLS/INCANTATIONS/DEMONS THAT MAY BE CONSIDERED TO BE RELATED TO CERTAIN RELIGIONS. GAME IS NOT DIRECTLY ABOUT ANY RELIGIONS ASSOCIATED WITH SUCH WRITINGS

**IN NEED OF PLAY TESTERS TO BALANCE GAME SYSTEMS**

Storyline.png
Aria is close to graduating high school, and often wonders about how her friend Emma is doing. They grew up together and have been friends for a long time, but lately, that has changed. Emma has become more distant, disconnected, and pushes further into a state of self-isolation. Aria does not know what to do and leaves her friend to grow on her own. The truth of the matter is that Emma no longer is interested in what “normal” people want to do, and how they want to progress their lives. Emma is bored and see’s no point in trying to do anything past high school. Her parents have enough money for her to just live at home, and are hardly ever home as is going on business trips. Emma is close to giving up on everything when a friend, Cory, mentions to her that he has a book that he believes would help her as it helped him move past similar issues. Strangely Cory disappears after giving the book to Emma, though Emma is unable to read the book at first because it appears to be written in a different language. Eventually Emma can read the book, as it seems to whisper and speak to her to allow her to understand its secrets. The book wants to be used, and needs Emma to follow its guidance to help it achieve its goals. This does not end well for Emma however, and she finds that she is in desperate need of assistance from someone to help save her. Emma manages to get a letter out to Aria, requesting that she come to her aid. Aria, still caring about Emma, arrives at Emma’s house to help her, and must figure out what happened within Emma’s house to not only save her friend, but to also escape from the new world the house has turned into.

The story and gameplay are based on concepts derived from the Lesser Key of Solomon and the Key of Solomon, books believed to be compiled of spells from the 14th or 15th century Italian Renaissance, with some spells believed to have been written by King Solomon himself. The books are used as inspiration, with some elements being drawn from the books.
Synopsis.png
Game Time to Beat – 10 minutes to 1 hour depending on attempts to get all endings.

Old Version: Beta 1.0 (Released 04/17/20)
Development Cycle – April 5th - April 17th,~2-7 hours each day, ~24-84 hours total
Current Version: Beta 2.0 (Released 05/02/20)
Development Cycle – April 20th - May 02nd,~1 hour each day, ~12 hours total

This was made as part of the One Map Game Challenge to challenge myself. As such it was completed using only 1 Map, 7 Common Events, 3 Map Events, 10 Switches, and 10 Variables. The game has a complete show picture system setup within these limitations to allow a more interactive experience for the player. Additionally there is a fear system setup that affects how the player progresses through the house, interacts with objects, experiences the sounds of the house, and interacts with creatures that may roam the house. Interactions with objects are set through visual queues, and when a player steps on a particular area of the map.

This game is set in a Thriller/Suspense/Mystery type universe. I guess you could maybe liken it to a Thriller/Mystery Visual Novel, though more on text and immersive visuals, not visuals of the characters (I am not a great artist in terms of making art of people). I mention all of those as this is the first time I have made this style of game, and its difficult to do sound and music design to specifically meet a single category in terms of game design. The entire game takes place inside of Emma’s House, with the player attempting to escape through locating items, conducting research and deduction on sparse clues, an determining what steps are necessary to save Emma, and escape from the house.

The concept of the game can be expanded into a fully fledged game of 1-3 hours with more rooms, puzzles, interactions with the “monster” and “ghost” in addition to story development and other features. At this point it was set to meet the one map challenge to see if I could (1) finish a game (after getting feedback to balance and finalize game systems, and (2) make a complex game within the limitations set by the challenge.

The main difficulties with the game in it’s current state, outside of the issues specifically mentioned in a later spoiler, is that it is a difficult system to balance, and will be heavily dependent upon each individual player. That being said data and testing from players will be necessary to determine how to balance the system going forward. The current goal is balancing with fixing the later mentioned issues but keeping it contained to a singular map design and meeting the one map challenge still as that was the original inception of this creation.
Images.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 12.48.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-17 at 12.48.46 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-17 at 12.48.58 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-17 at 12.50.58 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-17 at 12.51.57 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-17 at 12.52.54 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-17 at 12.54.57 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-17 at 12.57.38 AM.png
features.png
*Fear System that affects environment, lighting, player movement, music, and sound effects.
*No combat, story driven. You are damaged and affected by characters on map in terms of level of Fear and Health.
*Strategically manage fear and health levels to survive the map.
*Three endings – 2 bad, 1 good.
*Immersive music and sound effect system to drive involvement in story and setting.
isues.png
*Graphics need to be done/modified for Breaker Box. Emma graphics need to continue to be optimized.
*Balancing through play testing and feedback needs to be completed to efficiently determine how the fear system is functioning in conjunction with the monster chase sequences.
*Ambient sounds and effects need to continue to be improved to allow for inclusive SE system.
*Balance of text versus no text needs to continue to be tested.
*Player does not click on items to search or take them, detects player location and adds prompt. This is planned as its directly due to being limited on events for the map to meet the challenge. Can be changed if decided to move this into a full-fledged experience outside of the challenge limitations.
download.png

Version: Beta 2.0 (Released 05/02/20)

Windows Download
Mediafire Mirror
Mac Download
Mediafire Mirror

Itchi.io Page

I do not have a Windows PC so I was unable to test the Windows deployment.
credits.png
Story Development/Writing
*Chroma Creative Solutions
Engine
*Degica
*Kadokawa
*Enterbrain
*RPG Maker MV
Plugin Programmer
*Galv
*SumRndmDde
*Yanfly
*Khas
*HimeWorks
*Mr. Trivel
*RPG Maker Irina
*Moghunter
Artwork
*Degica
*Kadokawa
*Enterbrain
*RPG Maker MV
*Avery
*PandaMaru
*Com_Sho
*SumRndmDde
*Khas
*Aekashics
*SkottyTV
*Hiddenone
*RPGMakerXPChris
*Corleonis
*Joel Filipe
*Scottbb
*Spellkaze
*Joy Marino
*Nata Zorzar
*Jgh_photo
*Dbwilldo
*Dvanzuijlekom
*Ed James
*Mark Adriane
*Fraexcel
*Retiranatis
*Chocopyro
*Samuel Furr
*Levolpehh
*Tonbi@Tobishima-Factory
Music/SE (Audio)
*Scott ARC
*Harrybates01
*Mmaruska
*Danthaiwang
*InspectorJ
*Starblazer64
*Kd_jack
*Bernie
*MadamVicious
*AderuMoro
*Bigmonmulgrew
*OwlStorm
*RobinHood76
*Cylon8472
*Vartioh
*Funkymuskrat
Fonts
*Winty5
*Adien Gunarta
*Lionel Pailloncy
Inspiration
*Lesser Key of Solomon
*Key of Solomon
Support and Assistance
*TheoAllen
*Shaz
*Andar
*Ace of Spades
changelog.png

Changelog Beta V2.0
*Added Mog Hunter Character Motion Plugin to have idea breathing effect for “monster”
*Updated “Monster” in various ways
*Updated graphic to one created by Samuel Furr
*Updated se to ones created by cylon8472, vartioh, and funkymuskrat
*Updated good ending scene where “monster” disappears, now melts instead
*Modified ambient sound activation to match new “monster” sounds
*Increased audio file for heartbeat to make it better heard in-game
*Modified chase sequence so that when “monster” chases you after howl it now attacks you visually
*Re-worked monster chase scene
*Updated credits section for new accreditation (see names in sections above)
*Modified character graphics made by Levolpehh, Tonbi, and Kadokawa to replace Emma and Aria
*Added in secret way to get Stamina back with hint in Emma’s Journal
*Added in optional hints at the end of the bad endings
*Added sound delay when attempting to exit house at beginning and pin code fails
*Added sound effects to menus
*Added effect where list will show what breaker box pieces you have
*Fixed se for retrieving breaker instructions
*Added se for breaker switch
*Moved note that details list for mirror items to be in Emma’s journal
*Adjusted skill menu to keep it on skill menu instead of exiting after skill use
*Added short tutorial at the beginning of the game
*Balanced Music and Sound Effects throughout entire game

Last edited:

Graphic Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
wow, nice map!
Thank you! I enjoy mapping and story development the most as though I am a graphic designer, the artwork around rpgmaker style games (and drawing characters in general) is not my forte (but is something I will be working on).

If you have a chance feel free to get a feel for the map in game demo, and see how you feel about the immersion! Games in development always need testers and feedback so any assistance down that line is appreciated!

rommie

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
cool!, ill definitely check it out!

phamtruong1992

Green Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd love to try your game. But, but,... I can't play horror games. I'm scared! :o
I'm such a p#@ssy i know. :headshake:

Graphic Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
cool!, ill definitely check it out!
Sounds good, looking forward to hearing back!

I'd love to try your game. But, but,... I can't play horror games. I'm scared! :o
I'm such a p#@ssy i know. :headshake:
My wife is very scared of horror games and she said that it wasn't scary to her, more of a thriller/suspense feel to the game rather than horror. Feel free to check it out if that makes it feel any safer! :)

Graphic Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Brief view and update into what will be coming into Beta 1.1.

Digital sculptor, game designer, graphics designer, illustrator, and pixel artist Samuel Furr, has agreed to let me use some of his pixel art in this project! You can find his work here at his website:

Below is a preview of what I will be using to replace the current creature design (sound designs will be coming as well to ensure that they match the new creature design). Look forward to seeing those changes updated soon!

I am still in need of play-testers as well to determine if after this iteration is finished, I want to flesh this out to a full game concept. Let me know your opinions if you try out the demo!

"Monster"
samuel-furr-abomination-idle-export.gif

Graphic Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
New updates to the Beta, version 2.0 has been released! Lots of changes, you can see the full changelog down below and in the main post. Still need playtesters! Hard to balance the system in this version with just playtesting it with my wife. I do plan to turn the concept into a full game but am still looking for feedback from the community! Let me know if you have any issues with the new versions, or any changes or suggestions!

Changelog Beta V2.0
*Added Mog Hunter Character Motion Plugin to have idea breathing effect for “monster”
*Updated “Monster” in various ways
*Updated graphic to one created by Samuel Furr
*Updated se to ones created by cylon8472, vartioh, and funkymuskrat
*Updated good ending scene where “monster” disappears, now melts instead
*Modified ambient sound activation to match new “monster” sounds
*Increased audio file for heartbeat to make it better heard in-game
*Modified chase sequence so that when “monster” chases you after howl it now attacks you visually
*Re-worked monster chase scene
*Updated credits section for new accreditation (see names in sections above)
*Modified character graphics made by Levolpehh, Tonbi, and Kadokawa to replace Emma and Aria
*Added in secret way to get Stamina back with hint in Emma’s Journal
*Added in optional hints at the end of the bad endings
*Added sound delay when attempting to exit house at beginning and pin code fails
*Added sound effects to menus
*Added effect where list will show what breaker box pieces you have
*Fixed se for retrieving breaker instructions
*Added se for breaker switch
*Moved note that details list for mirror items to be in Emma’s journal
*Adjusted skill menu to keep it on skill menu instead of exiting after skill use
*Added short tutorial at the beginning of the game
*Balanced Music and Sound Effects throughout entire game

daheji

Call me Dah
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Hi! I tried briefly your game and I encountered some issues or some details that didn't make much sense.

Game_XSVsgdrCdJ.png
First is this. I don't think your game needs currency, but who knows. XD I don't think those switches were supposed to be here. It blocked the passage.

Game_nKNOhVN44H.png
In the cutscene with Emma's ghost, we can still move around. Also, if we say yes to use the spell, right after that, the screen stays black. Can't see anything anymore.
I had to say no to be able to continue playing the game.

Game_CaPDNuOygh.png
The menu looks like that.
Also, I got all the items without actually looking for them.

As for the monsters, it doesn't feel like we can escape them. I just around until the aren't seen on screen anymore but for some reasons, I'm still caught and teleported to the entrance. Is it a feature of the game? I didn't really understand how to avoid those monsters.

I hope you get to fix those issues easily! I like this type of horror games.

Good luck!

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I check it out, but when I got to the book, a ghost like type shows up (can move around),
during some dialogues, I can move, than not, than move through walls like i can go everywhere.
but after it say "where are you", the maps turn black and cant see anything.

I dont know how or why though.

EDIT:
while you can switch over directly, the room is pitch black, so no idea how you leave than,
also after the switches swapped, and the dialogue, you can movie through, but you can't
find the power to turn it on and leave the place.

the items (inventory) is not corrected either (you should take a look at that), but you cant
explore the map to find the switch.

otherwise, a nice horror game. but you can beat it within 1min when teh screen gets pitch black.

Last edited:

Graphic Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi! I tried briefly your game and I encountered some issues or some details that didn't make much sense.

View attachment 141926
First is this. I don't think your game needs currency, but who knows. XD I don't think those switches were supposed to be here. It blocked the passage.

View attachment 141927
In the cutscene with Emma's ghost, we can still move around. Also, if we say yes to use the spell, right after that, the screen stays black. Can't see anything anymore.
I had to say no to be able to continue playing the game.

View attachment 141928
The menu looks like that.
Also, I got all the items without actually looking for them.

As for the monsters, it doesn't feel like we can escape them. I just around until the aren't seen on screen anymore but for some reasons, I'm still caught and teleported to the entrance. Is it a feature of the game? I didn't really understand how to avoid those monsters.

I hope you get to fix those issues easily! I like this type of horror games.

Good luck!
@daheji My mistake I uploaded the wrong version! The switches are not supposed to be there and the item names were not supposed to be there either, both leftover from the testing version. That would be why you had all the items as well, those switches gave different sets of items to test different phases. Fixed the issues so you cant move during that cutscene, and no longer a black screen! The way the monster is setup is that if you are within 5 blocks and he touches you the first time, you are already caught, the after scene is to give the player a false sense of security. Once it catches you the first time you are done. You can escape if you get away before he touches you the first time though.

Thank you for the feedback! I hope you try the newly uploaded version to ensure you get the full actual experience! This time you will have to locate all the items :).

I check it out, but when I got to the book, a ghost like type shows up (can move around),
during some dialogues, I can move, than not, than move through walls like i can go everywhere.
but after it say "where are you", the maps turn black and cant see anything.

I dont know how or why though.

EDIT:
while you can switch over directly, the room is pitch black, so no idea how you leave than,
also after the switches swapped, and the dialogue, you can movie through, but you can't
find the power to turn it on and leave the place.

the items (inventory) is not corrected either (you should take a look at that), but you cant
explore the map to find the switch.

otherwise, a nice horror game. but you can beat it within 1min when teh screen gets pitch black.
@ShadowDragon My mistake, accidentally put the wrong version up! Check out some of the notes for @daheji above and you will have some more explanations. Fixed the issues you encountered, not using the test version helps that!

Thank you for the feedback! I hope you try the newly uploaded version to ensure you get the full actual experience!

Everyone else feel free to download the new version and try it out as well! The issues mentioned were resolved as that was just a test version and I had uploaded the wrong version! Mac version is still uploading to google drive so if you need that version use the mediafire mirror! Mac version should finish uploading within 10 minutes or so of this post. Looking forward to more feedback!

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
after replaying it, the scene is frozen after you fix the light, with the text of leaving her
behind, and I cant contniue when its frozen, is this a glitch? or fix the power to early?

Graphic Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
after replaying it, the scene is frozen after you fix the light, with the text of leaving her
behind, and I cant contniue when its frozen, is this a glitch? or fix the power to early?
@ShadowDragon Unfortunately I cannot get that bug to replicate. However I did go in and make some modifications to the cutscene that I thought could be affecting it. Links have been updated with new downloads! If you are still experiencing the bug let me know but if you can record it when it happens so I can figure out what exactly is causing the issue!

DO NOT READ IN HERE IF YOU STILL WANT TO FIND EACH ENDING ON YOUR OWN.

The ending you got was the second bad one, which you get when you have everything to repair the breaker box, and trigger the cutscene with Emma, but either you do not go to the mirror, or you go to the mirror and dont help Emma.

The first bad ending is if you only get the pieces to repair the breaker and immediately leave.

You only get the good ending if you choose to help Emma.

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it was right after I flip the switch with the 3 items, after you power it up and ready to leave,
you get the cutscene, thats where it is frozen, but I replay the update and report back if its fixed.

EDIT:
I dont know if it will freeze when powering up without helping Emma or Aria first, which I did
in this part but I got 1 tiny issue and 1 suggestion:

Issue, when you got the items (or all items for power up, or doll include) and help the ghost girl,
you arent in front of the mirror:

reading book.png

Suggestion:

if the player find the power switch, it shows what items is need, but if you go straight,
it still shows the items need, which can be best to skip that part if player has well items.

further no issue found though.

Last edited:

Graphic Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it was right after I flip the switch with the 3 items, after you power it up and ready to leave,
you get the cutscene, thats where it is frozen, but I replay the update and report back if its fixed.

EDIT:
I dont know if it will freeze when powering up without helping Emma or Aria first, which I did
in this part but I got 1 tiny issue and 1 suggestion:

Issue, when you got the items (or all items for power up, or doll include) and help the ghost girl,
you arent in front of the mirror:

View attachment 142061

Suggestion:

if the player find the power switch, it shows what items is need, but if you go straight,
it still shows the items need, which can be best to skip that part if player has well items.

further no issue found though.
Thank you for the feedback and suggestions! I have set it up so if you have the items you can skip the breaker box text! I have some other updates I want to do because this will likely be the final version then having this moved to completed games, so the download wont be adjusted just yet.

I can see in your picture that you are in the wrong spot, but for the life of me cannot get that to replicate when I play test myself, so I am unsure what the issue is there :(. I double tested all three endings as well and I am not freezing on any however if anyone else experiences this as well please let me know!

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the cutscene starts in front of the mirror though, so you dont have control over it, but when the
girl say, go in front of the mirror, it just go there and read it. untill the cutscene is over.

but I dont re-play it over again, even if there are 3 ending, I only got 2 by then, so 3 need to
be researched.

but if you want to improve it more. here is a suggestion.
Galv have a variable bar and add or subtrack the bar amount,
you can use that as flashlight duration (maybe add batteries (2) to start of, and maybe
3-5 to find that can go automatically added or pres a button to add it.

while you get hit, it gets darker, but nothing on the duration (if it was realy there or not)
when you are out of battery, you can make it almost pitch black, just seeable or just barely
you to see where you walk, but you cant see the enemies or add more.

this way, you can make it much more scarier and trieckier to compleet?

Graphic Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the cutscene starts in front of the mirror though, so you dont have control over it, but when the
girl say, go in front of the mirror, it just go there and read it. untill the cutscene is over.

but I dont re-play it over again, even if there are 3 ending, I only got 2 by then, so 3 need to
be researched.

but if you want to improve it more. here is a suggestion.
Galv have a variable bar and add or subtrack the bar amount,
you can use that as flashlight duration (maybe add batteries (2) to start of, and maybe
3-5 to find that can go automatically added or pres a button to add it.

while you get hit, it gets darker, but nothing on the duration (if it was realy there or not)
when you are out of battery, you can make it almost pitch black, just seeable or just barely
you to see where you walk, but you cant see the enemies or add more.

this way, you can make it much more scarier and trieckier to compleet?
Thank you for the feedback and suggestions! Unfortunately this game was an experiment to push my limits with the one map game challenge, where you only get 10 total events (map and common combined), 10 switches, and 10 variables. I have actually used the full limit to make the game so dont have any room within the limitations of this challenge.

I do however already have the sequel planned to fully expand on these concepts, with some of your suggestions as well! Keep an eye out in the future for the first release of Aria - Do Nightmare's Relent? To get the full experience of what I learned making this demo game!

I have actually finalized the changes to the demo and will be updating it soon, so that it can be moved to completed games, and I can start on the version that will fully actualize what this game can be.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I didn't know about hte limitations, but you can improve it after the jam though.
I will look forward to it (but its not my genre of game though.

but you did do a pretty nice job. keep it up, and good luck on the jam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally finished my first big game since joining the forums! Please check out Petal Knights! https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/petal-knights-playable-now.117898/
Back home now :cutesmile:

Many thanks to all my fellow game devs. for all the support during this crazy time.

Feeling a bit rough but much better then bein' hospitalized at least.

Now time to get back to the code :D
Added skill ranges, and very basic implementation of scope, with a rule called "empty tile" that simply returns true if the selected tile is empty (has a battler), and false otherwise

This means movement range and attack ranges are all automatically implemented.

More info: https://himeworks.itch.io/grid-battle-system/devlog/167442/devlog-3-basic-skill-range
Stone masons are hard at work creating beautiful sculptures for your games...
When you realize @Kupotepo is a champion among RM Web users, and it all makes sense now:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr