Arpygea Dawning

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by VoxPopuli, Apr 28, 2014.

1. VoxPopuli

VoxPopuli WatchFire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Arpygea Dawning

My first extended game project in early development: currently designed as a free game

Greetings,

Arpygea Dawning is my first extended game project.  It is designed to begin as a learning experience utilizing the basics of RPG Maker VX Ace, then evolve into a sophisticated game with original graphics, music and gameplay elements as I learn more and (hopefully!) attract the interest and assistance of the many talented scripters, artists, and developers in the community.  Since I am new to RMVXA many of the elements will be RTP in the beginning as I become acquainted with the application and utilize it to structure and flesh out my storyline.

Project Timeline

01Aug2014 [update]: Created in below post the introduction to the FutureWorld component of Arpygea, Retropolis : link

27May2014 [update1]: Created a topographical Arpygea Map that encompasses the northeast quadrant of the world (town names, kingdoms, and more to be added later):

[​IMG]

27May2014 [update2]: Added Modern Algebra's Quest Journal script to game and created a couple of windowskins (the Forest of Lost Souls green leaf patterned one is shown, the royal kingdom one will be added later).  Note: the Haunted Forest gameplay video was captured prior to Journal, windowskins and other additions so they are not in it.  Also, in characters I've started the biographies of Aeron, Elysabeth, and Aurella.

Screenshots of new windowskin & quest journal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    18May2014 [update to update of revised video: reduced size of game message portraits and added more dialogue (still incomplete)]: Added a gameplay / story development sequence video YouTube link to Arpygea Dawning - Haunted Forest gameplay video.  Note: dialogue and mapping, etc. incomplete.  I am utilizing a combo of Yanfly scripts with Galv's Message Busts' script and Yami's overlay script.  All or most of graphics, portraits, sprites are placeholders until original art can be arranged.  Pardon my clunky-ness with the controls during the video and there is some silly dialogue at the end that is just there temporarily for my own amusement.  The end game will not have that kind of silliness (hopefully).  My intent though is that the game will run the gamut from humor to tragedy, danger to romance, while providing chills and thrills and involving the hearts and minds of the players ... oh yeah, and be fun too! :) .

14May2014:  Added new and revised maps and screenshots (Haunted Forest, Cyanna's Village and Cyanna's House), expanded credits to include more artists and scripters whose work I am provisionally using.  Please see "Screenshots" section for new screenshots and maps images (will add maps category soon) and credits for expanded list (note: as always, if I miss giving credit to anyone please let me know and I'll correct that -- also I believe I am using resources appropriately for a free project but let me know if not and I'll fix that too).  Added placeholder portraits to "Characters" and "Creatures".

28April2014:  Created early project feedback page.  Included video (with two alternate title screens and a post-credits sequence) YouTube link to Arpygea Dawning intro video, several screenshots, story summary, short character descriptions, and credits.  Note gameplay / features wishlists will begin with that incorporated in the RMVXA app in the beginning, then will expand to include the scripting, artwork, and other elements from outside sources to give Arpygea Dawning a unique form and style.

[​IMG]

In Arpygea Dawning four young people are drawn together by fate to save their world menaced by an unspeakably mavelovent evil.  Each must realize the unique inner force (known as mystic essence) that defines their ability to participate in the conquering of this evil.  They are all descendants of the Ancients, inheritors of a mysterious and powerful bloodline that is the source of their mystic essences.  However, before that is to be accomplished, they not only need to discover within themselves their mystic essence, but must also learn to combine their essences to defeat the terrible malevolency that threatens their world.  Thus the party must travel to four different realms within the world, each realm offering the mission required for the party member to uncover his or her mystic essence. This will be a journey fraught with danger, adventure, romance, mysteries, secrets, revelations, and intriguing puzzles.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aeron:  The main protagonist.

• Aeron is a young man born into and raised in the world of Arpygea, a world now facing a cataclysmic threat by a great evil.  Orphaned during the Arpygean conflict known as Demonwars I, Aeron is rescued as an infant and raised by Commander Theodoric and his wife, Beatrice in their forest village of Shadowfen.  As he grows up he also grows more troubled and confused, about his place in the world, about his past and about his future.  He feels within the innermost depths of his being that he is “different” but cannot understand what this difference is nor express this feeling with words. Then one day, while hunting in the woods near Shadowfen, he is lured by a treespirit into the Outerworld domain of the prophetess Sybyl.  She reveals to him that he is one of the Chosen, an inheritor of the Mystic Essence, and that he is destined to fight against the Great Evil that threatens to corrupt and enslave the world of Arpygea.  When Sybyl finishes her revelation she takes her leave, Aeron is bathed in a blinding light and he loses consciousness.  He awakes in the middle of the forest.  What it just a dream?  Future events and the unfolding tale of Arpygea Dawning prove that it was not.
    Elysabeth:  Magic user.  She also bears the Mystic Essence and is the first to join Aeron's quest.
    • Elysabeth is Aeron’s lifelong childhood friend in the village of Shadowfen.  She is intelligent and caring, but there is also a chaotic volatility to her personality that makes her unpredictable and somehow, whether intentional or unintentional, Aeron with say or do something that sets her off.  This makes their relationship a wild ride sometimes, but their friendship is solid and enduring.  She comes to realize that she is also one of the Chosen and that she has a real talent with magic and alchemy.
    Aurella:  Healer/Thief.  She also bears the Mystic Essence and is the second or third to join Aeron's quest.
    • Auriol is one of the Chosen found via an extended quest.  She is accomplished in the arts of healing magic, but since she was born in one of the lands of Arpygea (name of land?) where magic is suppressed and persecuted she had to refine her talents in secret.  She is one of several offspring to Klarissa, the female leader of the Guild of Thieves and the only child that Klarissa bore in her relationship with her one true love, a cleric named Alderyn.  Note: Klarissa & Alderyn’s reunion will be a side-quest and secondary storyline.  Thus, while Auriol is technically a “cleric”, the fact that she is brought up in her land’s shady underworld and has learned the arts of thievery she is not the stereotyped virtuous and righteous clerics of yore.
    Everard:  Fighter or Ranger [?].    He also bears the Mystic Essence and is the second or third to join Aeron's quest.  Back story and character description TBD.
    Cyanna:  Aeron's birth mother.

Varrick:  Cyanna's husband.

Commander Theodoric:  rescuer of Aeron and adoptive father.

Beatrice:  Theodoric's wife.

"Unnamed Great Evil": ("unnamed" at this point since I have not decided upon a name) [see "Creatures" for placeholder portrait].

Myrk:  the villainous henchman of the "Unnamed Great Evil".  Myrk is the eyes, ears and doer-of-dirty-deeds of the primal evil and Myrk is introduced early in the story [see "Creatures" for placeholder portrait].

Sybyl:  the Seeress.

Sipheria:  a mysterious ally.

... and a cast of thousands! ... (or at least a couple of dozen)
    [​IMG]

TBD
    [​IMG]

Features that will evolve and be incorporated during development.  As mentioned, due to my apprenticeship with the application and the desire to utilize the fundamentals of RMVXA to create the story and main features first, most of the elements with be app based.  As time goes by, original artwork, scripting and other design elements will replace the basic structures used in the beginning.

• Compelling story with intriguing characters
    • Epic main quest with unexpected twists and turns
    • Side quests  that are Interesting and entertaining
    • Balanced and dynamic battle system (to be developed)
    • More to come ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• "Unnamed Great Evil": ("unnamed" at this point since I have not decided upon a name). 
    • Myrk:  the villainous henchman of the "Unnamed Great Evil".
    • More to come ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Added 14May2014: Haunted Forest

[​IMG]

Added 14May2014: Cyanna's Village and updated Cyanna's House.  Cyanna, as the main character's mother, as well as her village, have small but pivotal introductory roles -- and may appear later in story in one fashion or another.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: if I miss crediting anyone for elements utilized within this project as it evolves please let me know and I will make sure that credit is given where credit is due!

Celianna

Lunaera

Yanfly

Yami

Modern Algebra

Galv

RTP

Kimi ni Todoke Angel Beats body*

used for angelic vision of Custodian sequence

*not familiar with this manga or mangas, it was a wall paper image I googled and the name was "Kimini Todoke Angel Beats" HD wallpaper.  The body/Custodian image is a placeholder image until original artwork is created and is used just for conceptual inspiration.

The post-credits sequence in the opening video is just for fun only and will not be used in the final version of the game :)
    Thank you for visiting this page and all constructive feedback is greatly appreciated!

Vox Populi

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
    Bukarett, Sanguine and Fernyfer775 like this.
  2. Fernyfer775

Fernyfer775 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I love your screenshots. That world map layout with the mountain looks amazing. Definitely interested in seeing where this project is headed.

3. VoxPopuli

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for your positive feedback!  The mountain map is one of the more original ones and I am glad you like it.  As I progress with RMVXA I want to be able to make more and better original maps.

4. VoxPopuli

First Language:
    English
    In the month since I originally posted this project thread I've added a new video and more screenshots, added additional scripts, expanded some of the characters bios, created some new in-game maps and just added a northeast quadrant map of Arpygea.  These can be seen, as well as the update timeline, in the OP.  Thank you for visiting! :)

5. VoxPopuli

First Language:
    English
    Introducing the FutureWorld component of Arpygea Dawning. A world of future-past and is exemplified by its capitol, Retropolis.

Also the name of a mini-game in the works.

[​IMG]

Here's an early WIP map and Retropolis concept piece:

[​IMG]

Jer-Miah dives for cover on level 3 of the Retropolitan Civic Center as his friend, Kayn, mischievously buzzes the Retropolis landmark with his new spaceship.

"I hate when he does that!" mutters Jer-Miah as he hits the ground.

Original elements:

Original elements:

Civic Center, Planet, Spaceship:

[​IMG]

Credits:

Celianna

RTP

+ FrankenChibis

6. Sanguine

Sanguine Hoot Member

First Language:
    English
    I really like the space thing going on in the first video! :) (and the monsters in the second video look positively horrifying). What I would suggest is a bit of tighter mapping for the interiors (make it smaller and cozier), and maybe more details and plantlife for the exteriors? 

VoxPopuli likes this.
  7. VoxPopuli

First Language:
    English
    @Sanguine

Thank you for taking time to visit my project and for your valuable suggestions. I agree the interiors need a bit of work, i.e. cozification :) -- and the exteriors I want to revamp and make more unique with more distinctive graphics. BTW: I wanted to mention I like the title "Soul Keeper's Eyrie", it is an unusual title that catches the eye and makes one wonder what's the game is all about.