Art feedback

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by OneManArmy, Jul 3, 2016.

1. OneManArmy

OneManArmy Veteran Veteran

Hello,

I have just draw something for first time kinda. It is for game that I am trying to make for a year... Anyway I wonder what can I do to improve it I know it is not perfect but I am still learning and I see something is wrong but I do not know what. I wanted to go more for watercolor side but I can't do this on PC (not like I know how to do it I just like the effect). With metallic I wanted to make it easier for me and I have been inspired here with Klimt pictures.

Please give me as much feedback as you can guys.

Thanks in advance.

guard.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2016
    KayZaman likes this.
  2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I'm not good with words, I hope this helps:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2016
  3. OneManArmy

HmmmmI have a few questions then because I do not understand it as much as I would like :p

What means TL : DR? and HSL variety?

Your drawing already looks better than mine xD 

I think I need to train a bit more before really trying to paint - I have no idea how to make it more 3D

Do you have maybe any tutorials that could you recommend (I know there is plenty out there but I really like your style)

4. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    TL;DR = Too long; don't read in case my bullet points were too wordy.

Here's a tutorial that I found that is super indepth for teaching purposes.

HSL = Hue Saturation Lightness alternatively, hue saturation value (HSV)

Perfect example in a nutshell to explain color palettes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2016
    Idril, Neith and OneManArmy like this.
  5. OneManArmy

@Archeia those are very good tutorials however I do not really know what could I do to implement more hsl variety and it is for me immensely hard to imaging how light could bounce and how to use light to make something look more 3d. I know that you probably don't have much time but I would really appreciate if you could show me just schematically where and how light should be done on this character. However I want to keep it simple a few shades and highlights just I don't see it :(

@KayZaman I would really like to comment it but I can't give you professional feedback. However from my perspective it looks like it needs some shadings and highlights I would also appreciate some more detail. But it is probably something that you know but working on like me :)

6. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM

It's why I said start with the basics. You need to view objects a lot differently and understand how you have to draw then coloring will come naturally. The HSL/HSV variety is I'm talking about the use of colors. Right now your colors appear monotone/monochrome (the base colors themselves aren't bad) and the lack of contrast isn't making the details pop. This isn't the best example and it could be done well (I was just lazy :X) but you need to add depth. I couldn't tell where the light source is so I just made up whatever :D;

[​IMG]

@KayZaman you need to make a topic of your own. We don't allow thread hijacking. So I split it .w.)b

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2016
    Neith and OneManArmy like this.
  7. KayZaman

KayZaman Brother-Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Sorry.

8. Gin

Gin The djinn Veteran

I think that if you feel like going wild with watercolors, then don´t fight it. Going digital is awesome, but traditional art is more than awesome. The paper texture, the pencil slidding all ways, the smell of colors, the feelings you have with the different set of brushes with all kinds of names and fur softness is amazing, and it will inspire you profoundly!(I´m a watercolor enthusiast... :kiss: )

On your digital side, wich program are you using?! :| The program one uses can help a lot overcoming certain incapabilities. Like for example, unsteady hands that make the lines wobble.

Klimt...Gustav?! Hugeeee fannnnnnn...So relaxing... :cutesmile:

If he is your inspiration now then go crazy on the details, hair shadows, hair strings, moutache fluffy wiskers, clothes shade and rinkles,crackles in the shield, rust, light in some parts of it, shadow in others, play with shadows and colors as much as you want. There is a thing called Hue\saturation and other called brightness\contrast in lots of programs. Even if you don´t know now where or how to use and abuse shadows in your drawings, explore it. The outcome will only seem weird for a while untill you start seeing magic happening(trust me...practise is everyone´s best friend !)

Sorry for the typos.- -'

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2016
    OneManArmy likes this.
  9. OneManArmy

Thank you @Archeia I see now something :)  (Light source in my mind was top left). I think after work if I will still have some stamina I will try to paint. I definitely need more practice.

@Gin  I do not really know how to mix it I mean how to do art in traditional way and them move it without quality loss on to PC. It is also pretty hard to do watercolors in digital paintings. I would also really like to mix my game art with art noveau but all this stuff is so dayum hard... Like mixing slavic theme with art noveau (maybe Klimt but its going crazy however I love his art) and watercolors. I think its just not for my level but hmm I will try with you guys to give me some feedback it will be much easier.

PS: I have some trial versions of popular programs but I am using Corel Painter 5 that I've got with Wacom tablet. Its like my first painting before that was some doodling to find out how to use it. I have never done any traditional painting just some specimen drawings at Uni nothing else so I am like virgin in terms of painting... 

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2016
  10. Crispy-Ghee

Crispy-Ghee The Crispy One Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just to add on a little bit! Here are also some notes, mostly on making the drawing feel like it has a little more form: 

redline1.jpg

Try to think of things in terms of 3D shapes and it'll add a lot more depth to your drawing. This was a super quick sketch (studio's closing for the night, had to do this really fast) but just a couple of ideas. 

And you mentioned that you wanted it to look a bit more watercolory, and my suggestion with that is to remember that watercolor builds up from light to dark, and doing that with your digital painting instead of just starting with the local, flat color can really help towards that! Also using opacity on whatever brush your using will add in those brush strokes. Also utilizing the "white" of the canvas is also a trademark of a lot of watercolor style painting so you can play around with that.

Also little trick with making things read as metal is having a really bright reflective hilight, and then the darkest dark immediately next to it. 

Here's a (REALLY TERRIBLE) paint over as an idea. (again, super fast, I actually have to run out of the office just about now hahah)

redline2.jpg

Definitely second everything archaeia said about moving away from shading with just a darker version of the main color. You add a lot of dynamics just shifting hues little by little with shadows. 

Hope I added a little! 

OneManArmy, Archeia and Neith like this.
  11. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @Crispy-Ghee haha thank you for taking over! My laziness towards art has been on a new extreme so very much appreciated  :rwink:

OneManArmy likes this.
  12. OneManArmy

Ok guys thank you very much for impressive help! :)  I think it is looking better. However I will paint this again over the weekend if I will have time with all yours advice's and will see what will happen. Any more feedback is still welcome.

I have tried to imitate art noveau style with thick outline but I think there is still some improvements to be done but with yours help I feel that I can achieve that! Thank you @Archeia. @Crispy-Ghee and @Gin !!!! 

guard.png

guard.png