StrawberrySmiles

The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like drawing things, but I fail to get around to making them look good colored. I don't mind obtaining free programs such as GIMP, Paint.net, etc. I have Photoshop C6 as well.

Whenever I open up a scanned sketch to lineart, I get overwhelmed or scared, then quit. It seems easier using colored pencils, but all the tuts for those are for ARTIST'S colored pencils (Prismacolor?).

So I've searched for digital coloring tutorials with a mouse, but unfortunately I can never find anything that useful.

For a beginner like me, does anyone have any tips or links to useful tutorials?

Thanks. :D

I'd love to color like these some day:

img]http://orig05.deviantart.net/d2e7/f/2014/135/6/c/pursuit_by_glaciesclover-d7i4ktp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hadecynn

Dreams Circle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am by no means a professional, but I feel I've dabbled in CG long enough to be able to offer my thoughts. (Here's a link to something from a few years back to establish my credibility, and to make sure this is what you are looking for. Line art done in analog pencil & paper, scanned, then all coloring on PS/Paint Tool SAI.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7o4dknoisklca3/Color.jpg?dl=0

First things first, you need a tablet, period. CG isn't impossible with a mouse, but you would probably have enough time to finish enough commissions to cover for the cost of your tablet, in the same time it takes you to finish one piece of work with a mouse. Maybe. That's how big of a difference in work efficiency we are talking about.

Specifically, you want a Wacom tablet (industry standard). You might not need the professional-grade Intuos Pro, but you definitely need the pressure sensitivity that tablets offer. It's been a while since I bought a tablet, but a quick search later and I think this might suit your needs already at a very affordable price. I'm actually pretty surprised that they offer 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity for their most economical model... back in the day we only used to get 512... anyway: 

http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-tablets/intuos-comic

I don't know how proficient/comfortable you are with Photoshop in terms of things like customizing your brushes and using a variety of shortcuts to make life easy. You can dramatically streamline your workflow if you are very proficient in the program. Given that PS is the industry standard, I'm sure there's no shortage of free tutorials and guides you can find regarding the application in general. Specifically for drawing though, If you are going for the cel-shaded look that I predominantly use, the hardest part probably isn't the coloring but rather the cleaning of the line art. For that I'm sure you can also find plenty of tutorials elsewhere. 

In short, if your problem is:

1. You don't like how your drawing looks, or can't put on paper what you have in your mind  => practice

2. You have the skills to put your vision on paper and traditional media, but don't have a tool to do so digitally => get a Wacom tablet, then practice with the tablet, a good way is to do your line art from scratch in PS or the program of your choice instead of scanning analog sketches.

3. You are comfortable with your skills and your stylus but don't understand how to use digital image manipulation/paint programs => find/buy program-specific books/guides that teaches you how to use them (these would not be "art related tutorials", these would be "Photoshop" or "SAI" tutorials) and then practice using the software by manipulating/experimenting with just about anything.

4. You are comfortable with your skills, have your tools and programs, but don't like your results/can't finish/overwhelmed => brings us back to good ol' practice.

Hope this helps! =)

StrawberrySmiles

The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a Tablet, but I'm not interested in using it. It's too confusing and I don't have the precision to use it.

I have problems that makes me unbalanced and butterfingers/clumsy. I can't even do mirrors, and last time I tried the tablet it was mirror-like. I can't do it. :(

I might have to stick to pixel art. XD

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Tablets do have a huge learning curve, so don't be too discouraged at not being able to draw with it right away.

None of the colors for the images you posted would be very hard to make.  What they have in common is a strong understanding of color theory and a bit of texture.  The texture is the easiest part, it can be added as an overlay at the end, and I suspect that's exactly what happened with some of these (the first image just used their brushes well).    Usually these textures are just photographs of things like paper or the surfaces of other everyday objects that look interesting.  Don't be afraid to do some experimenting.  Sometimes you have to make a mistake to find the perfect result, and failure is an important part of the process.  Embrace it!

Here's a random tutorial on color I found on DA that seems pretty good.

GambleMountain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
There is no real tutorial. You just keep drawing with purpose. By that I mean if you need to draw an apple, get an apple in real life and look at it. Notice how light bounces off it, understand why it looks this way. Then draw it. Guess what, its gonna look like crap when you're done. Thats okay, your first 10,000 drawings don't count. Do this with a ton of different objects (people, houses, cars, pencils, anything you can get your hands on) and you'll start to get it. 

Don't draw to make a pretty picture now, you're going to fail and quit. Draw to grow and learn more so in the future when you have skills like the artists above you will be able to make cool things.

Art skills takes mostly time and practice (and lots of tears lol) but you'll get there.

Also stop drawing so much anime/cartoons if thats what you do (I'm assuming you don't draw from life a lot, ignore this if you do). Draw from life more. Seriously, this is the best way to get better at everything including anime and pixel art. 

Notice I didn't say STOP DRAWING STYLISTIC WORKS 100% OF THE TIME. Please don't do that. You'll grow to hate art. Draw what you love, but make sure you throw in some realism even if you hate it, because without realism you will not grow. 

StrawberrySmiles

The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I kept forgetting about textures. I should play with Photoshop more instead of using it to open PSD files. XD

Thanks for the link Sharm.

@ConkerMich - Thanks for the advice, though this is more about coloring things. I need to practice that too. I can draw on paper forever and never learn to color.

Oh, I draw from a lot of things! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The second draft of my script is almost done, and I don't think I'm going to write a third draft. I'll make changes to dialogue here and there, but I'm happy with the series of events the way they are.
How you feel about font and dialogue box changing for every main character while the minor cast and regular npc get their own styles? Too much?
Just found an obviously custom effect (i.e. edited by me) in my resources>sounds folder called "rip jaw off". Dear Lord what is wrong with me as a person that at some point I needed a sound *specifically* for THAT??
(...rhetorical question.)
so like with the whole 'familiarity breeds contempt thingy', how are you supposed to tell if your title screen/battle music gets really tedious after a few dozen plays or if you're just personally hella sick of it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heis