Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Arthur_logo.png
Foreword: Arthur was meant as a taste-test for me to learn the basic functions of a standard RPG Maker game using only the trial mode of RPG Maker MV.
Yes, this entire game -characters, plot, storyline and all- were all conceived in under 20 days. My learning journey was so incredibly fun, it seeped into the game as well. I hope it's enjoyable!

SECTION A: SYNOPSIS
  • Artur is a thief from a different RPG (most likely the stealth rogue genre) who got transported into a new RPG he has no idea of. He is knowledgeable of the "rules" and "plotlines" of classic RPGs, which gives him an edge in exploring this new land; he is very genre-savvy. While trying to avoid the "prophecies" a random outsider like him could flag, he chanced upon a sword.
    The surprise? The sword can talk.
    The plot-twist? The sword cursed him!

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS
15days.png
IMG_20200718_175439.png
IMG_20200718_175446.png

DOWNLOAD LINK
link.png

SECTION B: CHARACTERS
  • arturchibi.png ARTUR : Too straightforward but charming enough for a thief. The type who says he doesn't care but really do.
  • swordychibi.png SWORDY : The talking sword. Full of curious wonder, bounces Artur's more sordid side with pure innocence.

SECTION C: STORYLINE/PLOT
i am struggling with 350 words worth of a parody game
  • The story starts with Artur getting randomy transported into an unmapped island of unknown origin. He finds he had lost all of his possessions, including his levels and experience. Quickly, he tries to find a makeshift weapon and began to explore the area. Soon, he chanced upon a mysterious ruin, and within it; a sword in a stone.
  • Being cursed by the very item he's stealing, Artur finds that he's unable to unequip a cursed sword. While he tries to ignore the cursed aspect of his life, he discovered that by equipping the sword alone, he has gotten much stronger! Traveling with the sword, Artur realized that this talking weapon is as clueless as he is of this land. The unknown feels less threatening with a partner, so Artur is thankful he has something to talk to.
  • He is soon questioned on whether or not he wished to continue to be cursed or dispel it, but ultimately decided to at least find out a way to lift the curse. Just in case if things go bad.
  • His adventure led him into meeting three key figures, rumored to be the very first Sorcerors of the land;
    The Great Sage Rye, an item enchantress
    The Whimsical Wizard Cosmicle, who blesses those he deems worthy to
    and The Wandering Warlock Vers, who cursed those who stops his path.
    Artur also learned these three Sorcerors drifted apart from one another due to a serious discourse. A discourse concerning his cursed sword.
  • Artur is then caught in the whirlwind between their argument, since the sword is physically stuck with him now. He is tasked to settle their fights, with bribery by bread. Being a thief with a silver tongue, he doesn't see an issue in bribing some overpowered Sorcerors. Bread is powerful.
  • The final plot tests Artur's trust -a topic he is understandably sensitive with- and questions him on why Swordy is necessary to him. At this point, whatever anyone would say, Swordy has become incredibly important to Artur, and he would go to great lengths in order to find out the truth behind the curse that lies in the sword.

SECTION D: SETTING AND/OR WORLD DEVELOPMENT
  • The game's setting is a parody of one of the most widely used RPG stock stories; some unknown fantasy island, with a touch of teleportation to other places. There is no deep lore of things, since the story is fairly light-hearted and only touches the very surface of the world.

Afterword: After 20 days of learning how RPGMaker MV (trial mode) works in the most basic ways, Arthur was published around 40 days ago. It was meant to be a one-time thing, just for the pursuit of learning. Since then, I have been getting positive reviews from friends and strangers alike regarding this game that's only meant for myself to learn, and due to their overwhelming support, I have recently purchased my own copy of RPGMaker MV (god bless RMMZ for dropping the price of RMMV) to further find out the possibilities of this engine. Thank you!

Last edited:

sy020

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love the fact you named an ice spell 'Oh hail no'! That literally made me lol
Honestly, I was torn between that or Chill Out, and I'm glad I decided on the former

FIRE at will and WATTS up too
Thank you so much!!! :kaopride:

This game is just full of things I love and those are bread, my cat and PUNS

Mixie

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That was a fun little game, enjoyable to the very end!

Kokoro Hane

Overly Ambitious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You may remember me leaving a review of it on Itch (under the name Tofu Sheets Visual since all my games go under that name haha), but I wanted to post here to let other people know....

THIS GAME IS AWESOME! It's really funny, and I love the friendship between Artur and Swordy. I love how almost everything is interactable and tells you either more about the world or just a fun way to have the two banter. I was very satisfied with the ending. It shocks me this was a first time project, on the trial mode even!

Also congrats on purchasing MV @sy020 ! I look forward to your other projects ^^

EDIT: I just realized you made a 2.0 version with small fixes and extra dialogues?? Imma have to re-download that when I have time and experience this gem again! <3

Last edited:

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Played your game last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Hard to believe you completed the game within the 20 day trial period. It's obvious that you are not new to RPG's, though. The dry wit parody approach had me laughing all the way through, well, except for those times when the storyline called for a quick return to a more somber mood. I'm very glad you bought MV, as I'm looking forward to what you can accomplish in 20 weeks now! :) Congratulations, you deserve all these accolades coming your way.

sy020

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You may remember me leaving a review of it on Itch (under the name Tofu Sheets Visual since all my games go under that name haha)
AAAA ITS YOU, the person who's first comment made me happy for weeks!! Thank you!! :kaocry:
I finally have a name to go with you now, you were mentally "Tofu" in my head, oh mygosh. I cannot thank you enough for your kindness and support, Kokoro Hane!!! :kaoluv:
I will most definitely return the favor and play all your games!!

I just realized you made a 2.0 version with small fixes and extra dialogues??
Oh gosh, yes! They're very small additions that doesn't really affect the plot, so you don't have to! Still, I appreciate that you took the time to have written your thoughts here as well ;-; I cannot thank you enough! :kaocry:

The dry wit parody approach had me laughing all the way through, well, except for those times when the storyline called for a quick return to a more somber mood.
That made me so happy to hear!! Making people laugh will always be my highest priority!
Thank you so much for taking the time to play it and writing your thoughts here!! :kaoblush:

I'm very glad you bought MV, as I'm looking forward to what you can accomplish in 20 weeks now! :) Congratulations, you deserve all these accolades coming your way.
:kaoback:!!!
Hearing that from a veteran made me incredibly spirited to continue to do my best!!

Thank you so very much!! :ewat:

springrequiem

glaucus atlanticus
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This game was really cute and funny. I loved the ending, I was grinning the whole way through after the credits. Your characters are memorable! (and that title screen tho!)

Thanks for making this!

...That man ain't right!!!

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Dry wit parody and puns are my bread and butter so I will definitely have to check this out when I have time.

sy020

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This game was really cute and funny. I loved the ending, I was grinning the whole way through after the credits.
:kaocry:!!!
Thank you so much for playing my game and letting me know of this, my heart is full to know someone enjoys the ending... :kaoluv:
The after credits was such a joy for me to write, I'm so glad it made you smile!

Your characters are memorable!
Oh my goodness, this is such high praise, because I based bits of them from my friends! :kaoblush:This game is just a big love note to everyone I appreciate hahaha!

...That man ain't right!!!
HAHAHAHA!
I hope you don't mind that I screencapped your post to show to the specific friend who has that as his tagline for years :kaojoy:

Thank you so much for playing!! I appreciate your kind comment very much!! I'm so happy, I read it several times ahahaha

Dry wit parody and puns are my bread and butter so I will definitely have to check this out when I have time.
Oh boy, I cannot wait till you find out the terrible names I gave the poor inn and bar then:kaopride:

Thank you for even considering to play! I hope you find it enjoyable! :kaoluv:

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Fascinating to say the least. I'll check this out once my laundry list of games has cleared up a bit, cause I can only really appreciate funny writing when I'm not distracted. :kaohi:

magnaangemon01

Miles Montgomery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
omigod......THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!!! I could see this game as an anime.

I wasn't sure if I would like this game since I'm not big into parodies. But since you tried my game, I was like, "What the heck?", and gave it a try. It was great and slightly emotional.

A few spelling and grammatical errors here and there but still an entertaining playtime. I wish I could map that good. You should expand on this or make a sequel.

sy020

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@magnaangemon01 Thank you so much for giving my dumb game a chance!! :kaocry:
And even liking it! You have no idea how happy I was to read this response, I read it over and over for a day hahaha, thank you!

You should expand on this or make a sequel.
This single statement made me burst into so much feelings, I dropped everything and drew this yesterday;
to others reading this, please don't open if you haven't beaten the game!
arthurs_resize.png
And then I decided to update the game just to add this art at the very end of the game after the post-credits event!
This decision was primarily due to how happy reading your response was, and I cannot thank you enough!

I appreciate your words so very much!

Last edited:

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That title track is off the chain when it kicks in.

Also,

defeat.PNG

Just hit lvl 3, had my whole life ahead of me :)

Last edited:

sy020

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just hit lvl 3, had my whole life ahead of me :)
Oh noooo hahaha, I'm sorry!
Make sure to use your Heal skill and spam that brokenass Double Hit special whenever possible! :kaocry:

You can do it! I believe in you! :kaopride:
Also, thank you for trying my game!! I have yours in my backlog too! I will definitely play that within the week! :kaojoy:

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh noooo hahaha, I'm sorry!
Make sure to use your Heal skill and spam that brokenass Double Hit special whenever possible! :kaocry:

You can do it! I believe in you! :kaopride:
Hah, no need to apologize, it was entirely my fault:

That Goo and his buddy had really worked me over and I was low HP, but the last Goo was too, so instead of Heal I decided to take a crack at it and finish the job...I figured, "I'm level three, I've got a stick, let's DO THIS!"...but he got me first lol.

Also, thank you for trying my game!! I have yours in my backlog too! I will definitely play that within the week! :kaojoy:
For sure, thanks to you for making Arthur d00d.

No rush on Sandstone, there are so many games here to try!

I did just release a small update that will provide you with ever-so-slightly more resources to make your way with, and save you quite a bit of clicking should you ever visit an herbalist with a big bundle of shrubs :)

It's Death Should Not Have Taken Thee. Awesome song.
Thanks! Yeah, that jam...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My pumpkin! Anyone like Fallout?

It's not terrible, but could be better. This thing took me over an hour to carve. :kaophew:

Dad's watching a WWII documentary while I work on some cool assets for my games. I just love RPG Maker!
Also Happy Halloween! Dad's friend won't be coming unfortunately, but Dad will still be taking me to Boxi Park to have some fun tonight! I'll be posting a video on my YouTube channel of the show, and I'll be sure to post a link here.
"Nightmares exist outside of logic and there's little fun to be had in explanations. They're antithetical to the poetry of fear. In a horror story the victim keeps asking why, but there can be no explanation and there shouldn't be one..." - Stephen King
I feel people seek explanation and demand it sometimes in games, but in the horror genre, well, maybe you shouldn't have one. Silent Hill 1 comes to mind...
Managed to implement QSprite.

Always double check your plugin order.

Finally! I've been puzzling over why it wasn't working for two days now. Turns out all of my calculations were correct, I just forgot to give some events hitboxes. :kaoswt: Now my randomly generated maps check for collision errors, and move stuff around in real time if they finds any. :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emcautley1