Artsy Mapping Contest

MektiKwiiger

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Ok, going to put my project on hold for this. 

Ruby

Of the Earth
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Are we allowed to use resources previously made?

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
Are we allowed to use resources previously made?
Yes, you may use previously-made resources. However... In the interest of being fair to those who haven't made resources before (and only have the contest duration as time to create), previously-created content doesn't count as the original 32x32 graphic.

So, as long as you've also got a graphic created just for the contest, you're good. :)

@Cel: :guffaw:

Last edited by a moderator:

Zoltor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I like how you admins run contests, and such, but can you start running contests that aren't speed fests(really, July 31st, providing people have nothing else to do during that time, they can pull it off, but people working on projects or whatnot, would be hard pressed to find the time)

Why not make 30 day contests, why is every contest so short sigh? You realize you're asking people not only to drop what they are doing, but to pop out top notch stuff in 1 week, right, doesn't that sound so wrong to you guys as well?

Also having more time in general, will enable people to submit higher quality entries(personally I would never submit something as a contest entry, that I wasn't 100% happy with).

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
We did just run a 30-day contest, with pretty major prizes at that. :D

Mapping events are pretty low-key and simple. We're asking for one static (i.e. non-animated) small map. It doesn't require eventing, balancing, animating and scripting. We accept (and encourage, for that matter) maps that later make it into someone's project. And we also hope that the mapping contest provides a fun break for someone who might be hitting a motivational block in their project. Plus, it's a much more creative and encouraging way to win resources than just a random draw -although we do those too.

I do sympathize with people who don't have a whole lot of free time (really, I do), which is why we make sure there are other ways to win prizes and be engaged in the community. But based on years of experience with running events, we've found that a week is plenty of time for quite a few people to produce absolutely amazing maps and to feel like they're really challenged/motivated by the event. Since we've added a small twist this time around, I've made sure that the event deadline is extended to compensate.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I enjoy these mapping contests, and they really don't take that long to make. Our last mapping contest got quite a few entries and was a huge success amongst the memberbase, and a lot wanted it to be a regular thing.

Something short, sweet and to the point! Seems a lot of people like it that way.

felipefalcon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This one visual original resource cannot be "character"?

And if I win in 1st place ... I can give someone if I already have the RPG Maker VX Ace, and still keep the other two resources packs for me?

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Aw, well good luck to the entrants! I'm still pretty new to mapping and wouldn't even know the first thing about sprite or thing making. So I'll have to catch the next one!

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I guess edits of existing tiles don't count :)  

I don't think I have the skills to take part either, sadly. Good luck to everyone else tho!

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Aw, well good luck to the entrants! I'm still pretty new to mapping and wouldn't even know the first thing about sprite or thing making. So I'll have to catch the next one!
Just do what I did and paint a parallax background from scratch? I can't sprite or whatever either, so it was probably the best I could do in these circumstances :p

Takuto

Spriter, Fancy Suit Wearer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Came back today, only to see this contest going on!

This is just my kind of event, and I have several ideas in my head.

A chance to show off my spriting? Count me in!~

Good luck to you all. I'm not looking for a high ranking, as none of the prizes really interest me, but this will be fun for sure!~

One question, what if everything in the screenshot is custom? What should I put at the bottom?

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
@Ms Littlefish & Alkorri:

Even if you don't think you're good/great at art or mapping, you should try anyway. Not only will you get some experience, but you might still be our lucky secret winner or one of the gift certificate winners. Or maybe you'll find a hidden inkling of talent and it will launch you into more art.

Besides, if we all only ever showed what we think is very best, we'd never share much of anything. :D

@Takuto:

Just note that they're original content made by you. :)

TreeTopOcelot

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Challenge with a twist!  Hmm, now I just need to make something... Lol

Skyfrid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Took me most of my day, but I finally finished :)

Credits to Celianna for her tiles and CrayDragon for this light and fog

The original theme of this was suppose to be underwater paradise, but I reworked it and came up with Dreams Beyond the Light of Magic! It was made to look dreamlike, and peaceful, but leaves you wondering...

As for the sprite:

(This was my first attempt at pixel art)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

There are only a few days left in our Spooktober Spooktacular Game Jam! Hope you are working hard to get your game in!
Where do i have to play Heisei Pistol Show the same creator that made Re: Kinder Parun
I really get the feeling I should be doing regular YouTube videos whenever I make something cool in my game, instead of waiting for massive changes. But not going to lie... I always feel like it's never quite enough to merit an update, until it's a drastic change. :kaoswt:
Going to submit to this game jam...struggling with the time crunch...
Have to keep compromising...
Just released a new OST for my game and a new place to purchase it!

Ah, things to do when you finish a game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Floof