Zetu

Level 99 Stabomancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
One thing I believe is that every universe needs is a calender. Since this is a fantasy world, I doubt we would want to use "Monday", "Tuesday", or "January", "February". That is why I am proposing a new calender for Arum. 12 months and 7 days may be too many terms for users to deal with, however, so I propose the following months and weekdays.

[ WIP ]

Months

1 Origo (Meaning: Begining) 28 Days Long

2 Duos (Meaning: Two) 27 Days Long (28 every fifth year)

3 Fon (Meaning: Spring) 28 Days Long

4 Pluvia (Meaning: Rain) 27 Days Long

5 Aestus (Meaning: Heat) 30 Days Long

6 Galea (Meaning: Leaf) 27 Days Long

7 Quondam (Meaning: Withering) 28 Days Long

8 Nex (Meaning: Death) 27 Days Long

Seasons

8-1 Winter

2-3 Spring

4-5 Summer

6-7 Fall

Weekdays

1 Ilios (Meaning: Sun)

2 Ergasia (Meaning: Labor)

3 Anemos (Meaning: Wind)

4 Riza (Meaning: Roots)

5 Telos (Meaning: End)

This means 222~3 days per year, and about 44 weeks per year. Comments/Suggestions? Also, if your Arum game has holidays, post it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ari

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
How about 'Creare' or 'Crescere' instead of Fon ?  - essentially to produce/create/to grow

Zetu

Level 99 Stabomancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Possibly. If enough people like it, sure. We'll see what everyone else thinks.

I think Fon's alot easier to pronounce, though.

FenixFyreX

Fire Deity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I like it. It's creative - not many games(or universes ftm) make their own time system. I just think if my week was only 5 days I'd scream - I don't have enough time in the world as is hahaha

kzadur

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
First: Great thinking for a time system. Nice names also.

Now what concerns me: Why different days per month? It may be of some use in our world, but is it necessary in a fantasy setting? Also, in eight months you have two special rules (for Duos and Aestus).

I'd rather suggest to either use switching days per month, or fixed days with one or two special months. But not both at the same time.

Now some advanced thinking:

1. How look typical seasons? (2-3 spring, 4-5 summer, 6-7 autumn, 8-1 fall ?)
  2. What does that mean for us regarding age? How do we interpret - let's say - a 31 year old person? We are used to see age in a timeframe of ~365 days per year. Now using only ~2/3 of that, the missing days some up to over 12 years in our time for this person. What does that mean for him/her? Do we just say, they mature more quickly, or are they somewhat naturally 30 years older, before typical human beings die?
Other than that: I like Fon better. But that's just personal taste. :)

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see no problem with the clandar, but I feel changing the number of months per yar od days per week may trip people up a bit when it comes to understanding the universe (familar frames being easier to use).

If no one has any traoiuble with the concept, however, feel free to ignore me XD

I do have a question. What are the terms derivated from, language-wise? They seem a bit...mouthy? Probably wrong word. Again if no one voices displeasure with it, it's fine.

I don't like Duos tho. it's a very obvious "two" trasnlation from spanish (Dos) and to me it looks sorta bleh XD

What else...I'm not really a fan of months havign different days each. Call me simple but even in the realworld I never remember. I'd be more confortable with them having a static rounded  number when it comes to game making (easier to program if you need a heavy siumulator style calendar) with maybe one or two "weird" months. Tho this may prove impossible due to the number of days a week. It's just me whining.

What Kzadur said also concerns me, about age. I'd make the total days per year get close to the  365 mark. In my opinion havign to rethink the concept of age by DEFAULT when wrking on Arum is a wee bit too much.

Also minor question, have you thought about the event that caused the calendar? Are they named after someone? Who made it? Is it unviersally accepted in Arum, or not? Maybe you didnt really come up with concepts for those, but I think it's interesting to establish SOMETHING before letting it out into the world so developers don't overwrite or come up with totally different concepts. Something for a BASE for them to work from, origin-wise.

Aaand I'm done being a nag. XD

Zetu

Level 99 Stabomancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I added the season range.

Also, in terms of age, we could say that people in Arum mature faster than us, so that an 18 year old in Arum is equivalent to an 18 year old in real life, in terms of how mature they are. Let's see how other people feel about that.

As for the origin, the months are latin and weekdays are greek.

I also agree with Duos, that it's too obvious. If anyone has any good suggestions for the name of that month, post it. I would rather this be a community based calender, than me decide all the terms. Same thing with the story behind the calender, although that would call for a historical timeline.

As for the concern with remembering the amount of days in a month, I believe that's what an in-game calender would be for, if the dates were actually important.

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's cool, just because it's different.

Abi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Also minor question, have you thought about the event that caused the calendar? Are they named after someone? Who made it? Is it unviersally accepted in Arum, or not? Maybe you didnt really come up with concepts for those, but I think it's interesting to establish SOMETHING before letting it out into the world so developers don't overwrite or come up with totally different concepts. Something for a BASE for them to work from, origin-wise.

Aaand I'm done being a nag. XD
Personally, I would think the calendar itself would probably be nearly universal, with maybe a couple of oddities, but that the NAMES would differ between cultures and languages.

Maybe one particular insular culture somewhere on the fringes of the "known world" might use a completely different calendar.

Zetu

Level 99 Stabomancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Personally, I would think the calendar itself would probably be nearly universal, with maybe a couple of oddities, but that the NAMES would differ between cultures and languages.

Maybe one particular insular culture somewhere on the fringes of the "known world" might use a completely different calendar.
Well, first of all, in real life, all proper names are the same in all languages. December is still December in all languages. Why should a fantasy world be different? For the second thing, this is the accepted world standard. If a particular culture uses a different calender, then that is up to the person writing that culture.

Abi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, first of all, in real life, all proper names are the same in all languages. December is still December in all languages. Why should a fantasy world be different? For the second thing, this is the accepted world standard. If a particular culture uses a different calender, then that is up to the person writing that culture.
Actually no.  In Japanese if you're using the common name it's "twelfth month" or it's traditional name it's "Priest's Running".  And that's just one example that I happen to know off hand is completely different.  Well, the entire calendar is different in Japanese.  They use the gregorian calendrical system, yes, but all the names are different.  There are a few that are similar with the days of the week, but that has it's own interesting story with the English words (being derived from ancient Germanic traditions) having the heritage of being different.  (Sorry, but I'm a bit of a linguist, so I am a bit anal about words and their origins and meanings).

Zetu

Level 99 Stabomancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, I should have said most all. Either way, it would complicate things, so I doubt that there should be language differences.

Abi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, I should have said most all. Either way, it would complicate things, so I doubt that there should be language differences.
Not really even most all...  LOL...  They mostly fall into groupings based on language families though, so it's not that readily noticeable to a westerner since we're mostly only subjected to languages that had the germanic influences.

Unless we want to just make it so all languages in Arum have a common lineage and therefore there is no such thing as language families.  But then we really couldn't do differing cultures very well.  Everyone would have to be basically essentially all the same.

Not that there's really anything WRONG with that...  but it makes Arum more of a tiny little corner of a world rather than an actual world.  And I do mean tiny.  Not even a whole continent tiny.  Either that or Arum would have to have a history long enough with a world-spanning empire that had lasted for millennia at least to stamp out all cultures but the ONE TRUE culture.  Even then, there should've been at least a few renegade cultures that managed to maintain their cultures in secret until the empire fell and they could split back off again openly.

kzadur

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Note: I put a longer side thought into spoiler. Doesn't look to good, but I think the main comment is easier to read that way.

I am not so concerned about the names. But I do feel rather uncomfortable towards the age-thingy. I just don't like the idea to interpret it the way to have them 'mature' more quickly.

Since this is a community project, and I don't see this calendar approved by the majority of authors and / or finished games (correct me, if I am wrong), I decided not to use it, as it is. I'll stick to a different system, even though I don't have names for months yet, but that's one of a later (if at all) concern.

Additionally the names for months could be 'historical' decided by multiple authors, if they have something usefull on their mind? I think that's what Indrah (in her minor question) asked, and basicly what Abi 

(I think it's not that - for example - that the August is called August because of language, but because of some guy who did something a very long time ago, but it's translated different over time and culture)
tries to tell us, about different names in different cultures. Since authors build there empires without knowing that much of other countries, it makes some kind of sense, to have different names. At least I think that way.

Reactions: Abi

Abi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Exactly kzadur.  Mostly days of the week are religious.  Ours are named after Norse mythology.  Japanese are named after the elemental celestial bodies, which are in turn BOTH named mostly following the Greco-Roman tradition of having each day named after each of the 5 inner planets, the sun, and moon.

The original Greco-Roman calendars, of course, they named the 5 inner planets after some of their gods.  Which the ancient Germanic peoples picked up on and roughly translated to similar gods in Norse traditions, but ignored the celestial body aspect except with three days, saturn day, sun day and moon day.  The Japanese picked up on the celestial body aspect and since THEY named the planets after their "elements", they became the elemental celestial bodies.

The months are more political.  The example of August being given was named after Augustus the founding emperor of the ancient roman empire.  Which by the way, in Japan is either "eighth month" or "month of leaves".  For the most part the Japanese left out what we westerners would consider politics or religion from their calendar.  It's there.  It's just not nearly as in-your-face as the western calendar.

EDIT:

As for the age thing, we could alternatively make it so that they have longer days than us.  If they have a 40 hour day with their minutes and seconds being SLIGHTLY shorter than ours, then they'd end up with the same amount of time in the year.

esby

eejit
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
What kind of ridiculous name is Nex?

Reactions: Abi

Zetu

Level 99 Stabomancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think you all are thinking too deeply. :c

I don't see this calendar approved by the majority of authors and / or finished games (correct me, if I am wrong), I decided not to use it, as it is.
Your right, mainly because this is my work and proposition. I am hoping that people provide good feedback so that it is a community calender, instead of mine. If you want, we could use important aspects of your calender, or have your game take place before this calender was official, ect.

As for the age thing, we could alternatively make it so that they have longer days than us.  If they have a 40 hour day with their minutes and seconds being SLIGHTLY shorter than ours, then they'd end up with the same amount of time in the year.
I don't think long days would be a good idea. I am considering making months longer, however. Just waiting for more opinions.

The original Greco-Roman calendars, of course, they named the 5 inner planets after some of their gods.  Which the ancient Germanic peoples picked up on and roughly translated to similar gods in Norse traditions, but ignored the celestial body aspect except with three days, saturn day, sun day and moon day.  The Japanese picked up on the celestial body aspect and since THEY named the planets after their "elements", they became the elemental celestial bodies.

The months are more political.  The example of August being given was named after Augustus the founding emperor of the ancient roman empire.  Which by the way, in Japan is either "eighth month" or "month of leaves".  For the most part the Japanese left out what we westerners would consider politics or religion from their calendar.  It's there.  It's just not nearly as in-your-face as the western calendar.
We don't want to confuse casual players with this much lore. :c

kzadur

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I think you all are thinking too deeply. :c
Nah. :D If we don't, why bother building a world? :p
Your right, mainly because this is my work and proposition. I am hoping that people provide good feedback so that it is a community calender, instead of mine. If you want, we could use important aspects of your calender, or have your game take place before this calender was official, ect.
Yeah, as I said, I am just not using yours yet. I gladly will, if there is some workaround with those age matter. I am not a friend of exceptions (like my story being told before the calendar), since I think that ruins immersion. Rather I even think, we should try to stick to small timeframe, concerning the years our games take place, so we can actually fill the world with detail, instead of mixing different times together, and call it a world.

It's just for background important, not that much for the game itself. So .. the only important aspect of my calendar is a different day scale. So far I keep it close to our full year, but simplifying a bit. 12 months, each 30 days.

And because I liked the idea of just using the 3 as a base to memorize things, I thought of 3 weeks and 3 vague seasons (since those vary the most on a planet somewhat like ours anyway). I thought of calling the weeks different names, based somewhat on the main stages of human developement (child, adult, old age; to keep it quick in speach: kid, man, old). I wouldn't use names for days, but rather say something like "5th day of kid, 3rd month in the year of [blah]", or so. Every 10th day would be taxes, 1/10 of whatever was earned (but that's very national).

I don't think long days would be a good idea. I am considering making months longer, however. Just waiting for more opinions.
I am signing that. 40 hours just make me ask new questions: Is climate more extreme, since day and night times are longer (= more heat from the sun per space, more cooldown at night)? What about the twilight between the phases?
We don't want to confuse casual players with this much lore. :c
We won't. Only those who care about those details will think themself into the matter. The rest will just skip over it, if there is some unknown date-detail, I think. ;)

Abi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
 We won't. Only those who care about those details will think themself into the matter. The rest will just skip over it, if there is some unknown date-detail, I think. ;)
This most likely.  I know I'm not really a "casual" RPG player, but I absolutely LOVE seeing these kinds of rich details, but if they're NOT there AT ALL, I'll feel cheated.

EFizzle

Rum aficionado
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I would make the months a little longer, 222 days per year will screw up ages for people. UNLESS the people in Arum age faster than we earthlings, then that would be okay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Made Custom ENEMY Information Screen
I'm having such a hard time thinking of an interesting battle system. and not being a coder, certain things I wanna do seem a lot harder lol.
Created a character outline with some code. I have no use for this. I'm....bored.....
Having lots of fun using different PS brushes to add a lil' texture to the floors and walls in my maps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmbor