As I Follow the Moon - Mappers and Artists Needed!

Discussion in 'Project Recruitment' started by UncertainTitle, Aug 18, 2016.

1. UncertainTitle

UncertainTitle Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The story is pretty long, so to keep this thread clean click the spoiler to read it ^ ^

Men and gods used to live side by side on the planet Callun, fighting off monsters and bringing peace to the world. With the gods blessing and the people’s resolve, they were able to repel the darkness again and again.

Without warning, though, almost all the gods vanished, plunging the universe into chaos. The oceans rotted, the stars stopped shining. Monsters began to race unchallenged across the planet, destroying countless cities and villages.

There were, however, three gods that remained.

Tal, the Moon god, the Great Innovator. His powers allowed him to constantly bring his new ideas and inventions to life. His followers were among some of the brightest humans in the land, and were unmatched in their use of magic.

Nila was the god of Shadow, the Keeper of Secrets. Her sight and ears were far reaching, her powers allowing her to monitor everything within the world. Her followers were the Rangers, who helped track dangerous beasts and warn villages of impending doom.

Finally, there was Soth the Sun god, the Divine Protector. His blessings gave heroes strength so that they would protect the people. His followers were the strongest warriors in the land.

These three gods struggled against the darkness, pushing it back as much as they could. With their guidance, humans managed to live in safety for many years. But for reasons lost to history, Tal turned on Callun. Before being banished from the universe, he cursed the planet with an endless night, and swore to send someone to destroy Creation. Then, as mysteriously as with the other gods, the three vanished.

Hundreds of years have passed since then. Humanity has managed to survive without aid of the gods, eking out an existence amidst the chaos of the planet. But, recently, the monsters have grown stronger and more powerful. And, for reasons unknown, the temples of Tal have become active. No one will say it aloud, but everyone knows what these signs point to.

The Lunar Harbinger has come.

The player takes the role of Mathias, who was sent by Tal to hunt down Nila and Soth. When around others, Mathias is a kind, talented swordsman. But when out in the wild, Mathias searches for the abandoned temples of Tal. Using artifacts and spells from these temples, Mathias will try his hardest to surpass the god's strengths. And when he succeeds, he will slay the last of the gods. This will allow the world to perish, and give it the death it has yearned for.

This is the tale of Mathias; the Lunar Harbinger hidden among man...

This game was originally intended to be a birthday gift. I say “originally”, because my friend’s birthday has already passed and I’m still nowhere close to being done. This is either because of not having enough time, or just backtracking due to not being satisfied with the work.

My friend loves games where he can become extremely overpowered and take on whole armies. He is also a gigantic anime fan (he goes through entire anime sites watching every single show. No joke) These were the things I took into consideration when starting this project.

As I Follow the Moon will be a dark fantasy RPG for RPG Maker VX Ace. It won't be a long epic, as I intend for the game to be only a few hours long. I have worked extremely hard to create an interesting, unique story, and Kamui82 has completed some amazing music for me (Check out his Alchemy Pot, very creative work!) And I feel like I’m decent at eventing to make things work together. However, my talent in mapping and art overall have never been that great. The last thing I want to do is give my friend a game with an immersive story, but horrendous-looking maps.

Kamui's music for the game ^ ^

I’m looking for anyone who is willing to assist me for free (Not exactly rolling in dough :p) While mappers are my main concern, any help is very much appreciated. It may be easier to just pull sprites from online, but having an artist breathe life into the world would be so much better. Portraits would also be appreciated, particularly in manga/anime style.

If you are on the fence in terms of commitment, I understand. I have classes coming up soon, so I get the hesitation to take on a huge project. But if you feel like you could do one map, or a single sprite sheet, the game would be that much closer to completion. If you feel like taking up one, PM me and I’ll send you a list of what I need for the game. And if a map, say a village, is what you’re interested in, all I expect is the exterior. I can take care of the interior. If you want to go above and beyond, though, knock yourself out.

Disclaimer: I really would like to use the Ancient Dungeons dlc for my game. So, if you don’t own it, I would like to be able to basically translate whatever you make into that tileset (replace the walls, floor, houses, etc) You will get credit though, don’t worry!

Hmm…I think that’s about it. If you made it this far, thanks so much for showing some interest in my project!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    kamui82 likes this.
  2. UncertainTitle

First Language:
    English
    Bump!

Still looking for some mappers, spriters and artists. If you're interested, or would like more information, let me know ^ ^

3. UncertainTitle

First Language:
    English
    Bump!

I'm currently compiling the list of maps, as well as the backstories for each of the locations ^ ^

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't map or art.  I just wanted to say that I really like the title of your game.

5. UncertainTitle

First Language:
    English
    ...eh I'll count it as support :p  thanks!

6. Dr. Delibird

Dr. Delibird Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What sort of art are you looking for besides sprites/spriteing?

7. UncertainTitle

First Language:
    English
    Portraits, parallax mapping, maybe pictures for more serious scenes or different icons. My friend is a huge fan of anime, so I'm hoping for that kind of an artstyle.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2016
  8. UncertainTitle

First Language:
    English
    Boop!

I will be out of town for a couple of days, so forgive any delayed responses I give ^ ^

9. UncertainTitle

First Language:
    English
    Bump ^ ^

10. RubbyDukky

RubbyDukky One of Rem's Many Husbands Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I might be able to help with a portrait or two, as long as the character isn't old and your standards aren't too high. I've recently gotten a lot better at art, although I'm not too sure about digital art, but here's my best digital work (which is also my profile picture) on DA: "Stars Reflect". In the picture, I didn't try my hardest to make it clean, simply because I wanted to start coloring right away ^-^ 

However, I do want some kind of screenshot or something to show me what you have so far, so PM me and I'll see what I can do.

11. UncertainTitle

First Language:
    English
    Bump ^ ^

12. UncertainTitle

First Language:
    English
    Bump ^ ^

13. UncertainTitle

First Language:
    English
    So far a few people have messaged me about doing a couple portraits. Thanks to everyone so far who's been offering services, every little bit helps! I am still struggling on the mapping front. So if you're willing to give advice, let me know; I can send you screenshots or ideas and you can let me know what you think works or what doesn't.

14. UncertainTitle

First Language:
    English
    Bump ^ ^

15. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm utter garbage at mapping, so I apologize greatly, but, you also said you were looking for icons. Is that position filled already?

16. jknightandkarr

jknightandkarr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Are any resource packs from the site store needed?

Joe

17. UncertainTitle

First Language:
    English
    No, actually!

The game is going to be using this texture pack, but I also said that you could map it with the normal tileset as well. Just as long as you wouldn't mind me converting it over to the Ancient Dungeons tileset.

18. jknightandkarr

jknightandkarr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I can do that. I will have to use standard resources. I don't have that one, I have the High Fantasy collection from PVG, but I want it now! lol Can you send me some pics or something of the mapping style so I can match it?

Joe

19. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Alright. What kind of style were you looking for? Just anything? I'm mainly into the more retro, "blockier" icons, so if you're OK with that then yeah, I can do that for you. Just understand a couple of things first though: 

- I'm not always going to have them in super quick. I'm juggling school, music and, you know, life. 

- We'd have to communicate through PMs and PMs alone. Since I don't really know who you are, I wouldn't really be comfortable with emails or Skype. So, most likely, I'll post my work in this thread and remove it when you've saved it to your computer.  

- Please be reasonable with your requests. Meaning, nothing ridiculous that's going to take me two weeks (although it's icons, and I am slightly exaggerating, you'd be surprised at some requests I've seen.) 

20. UncertainTitle

First Language:
    English
    I would, if there was a style XD In all seriousness, I'll PM you a couple screen shots, though they aren't much.

Sounds good to me ^ ^ And PM will be perfect!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2016