As the Seasons Change

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by BinaryCodex, Oct 19, 2016.

1. BinaryCodex

BinaryCodex Reader, Writer, Executor Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

Aya lives peacefully by herself in a quiet corner of the woods. She loves nature and enjoys watching as it changes and grows. Those days could go on forever… At least until the day when the world’s natural flow fractured. Aya awoke to find that though it should have been late Spring, her peaceful valley had been covered by snow and a blizzard was roaring. Not only that, but she herself had changed. Where once her hair was the darkest shade of black, it was now the purest white. Even her eyes, grey as stormy clouds, had turned to a cold, deep, blue. What could this mean for Aya? She felt that there was more to her sudden change than was first apparent and decided to search for answers.

So this will be my first official RPG Maker MV game, and it actually isn't an RPG. This will be more of a exploration/puzzle game and will be very story driven while focusing more on the mechanics. I would also like to point out that I am NOT very good with graphics. Currently I am using the pre-loaded graphics with a few tweaks here and there. I do intend to put some effort into the graphics later but I'm more concerned with the mechanics and gameplay in the early stages. Similarly, I'm using stand-in music and I'll work on it more later. Surprisingly though, some of the default music fits well.

You can find the official page for the game on my website here: http://binarycodex.moe/games/as_the_seasons_change

Development Status:

• Story: 25%

• System: 70%

• Mapping: 10%

• Graphics: 5%

• Music: 5%

About Me

I'm a software engineer with a love of video games and anime! I am most skilled in programming but I have an interest in story-telling too.

You can visit me at my homepage: binarycodex.moe

BinaryCodex_Banner.PNG

Synopsis

The world's seasons have gone out of control and it has caused Aya to gain the ability to change depending on the season affecting the area she is in. You play as Aya, using your strange new abilities and taking advantage of the strange shifts in seasons to solve puzzles, acquire items, and explore new areas. As you move forward, you will meet new and exotic people, discover new powers, uncover the secrets behind your predicament, and... probably talk to a plant or two.

Character

There is only one major character:

Aya

AyaLine.png

Hi! I'm Aya, an energetic girl that just loves nature and the great outdoors! My favorite thing to do is see all the different ways that nature changes with the seasons. That's why I live in the woods of Calm Valley, where the seasonal changes are the most beautiful. I also like jokes and cute animals but I absolutely LOVE to eat berries! They are the 'berry' best food in the world! Anyway, I usually have long black hair and stormy eyes. I say 'usually' because my hair and eyes change with the seasons now. Poor me. :( There's got to be a way to fix everything, right? I'll just have to find out for myself. See you guys in the game. Heeheehee. :)

Features

• The main feature of this game is the ability to transform depending on the season of the area Aya is in. It goes without saying, but she has forms for Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. Each season form brings with it a set of unique abilities that allow Aya to solve various puzzles or acquire certain items. As such, the battle system is disabled along with most of the RPG elements.

• Another feature (or should I say 'unfeature') is that the game will have all mouse and touch functionality disabled. Why? Because some of the puzzles will be too easy with it enabled. Simple as that!

• Finally, at current the only plugins used in the game are either Yanfly Engine plugins or my own plugins. I'm a programmer so I wanted to do much of the functionality myself. I'm also trying develop some full plugins that people can use and I'm building them using this game as inspiration. I'm also trying to make sure that they are YEP compatible.

Screenshots

Serene Spring

aya_wakes_in_snow.PNG spring_spring.png

Aya's Cottage

aya_cottage_morning.png cottage_winter.png

Aya's Powers

Here is just a couple of Aya's abilities. I didn't want to give too much away and I don't have all her powers flushed out yet. I cropped them to make them spoiler-free.

ice_power.PNG

Water Freezing

scarecrow_power.PNG

Scarecrow Talking

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    waynee95 and Marquise* like this.
  2. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Goofball Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Very interesting concept.. I will look forward to the completed game. :)

3. BinaryCodex

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Miacuro Glad to hear it! I hope to have a demo up sometime in the next month.

4. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Goofball Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Although not a service I would typically offer, I would be very interested in giving you my first impressions, critiques, and feedback.

I have been on the fence for a long time about creating a "Live Action Time" scene for a game, where the seasons are changing, and effect the natural surrounding and NPC dialogue..

So, yeah, if you want me to test it out for ya just let me know when the demo is ready. :)

-Mia

5. BinaryCodex

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I get home one day and say, “I’m going to get more done on my game development!” Shortly after I get a call from my [insert important person] and find I have to take care of things or else [insert consequence]. Sound familiar? Yeah that happened a few weeks ago. I didn’t have any time to do any work since I was constantly on my phone or computer taking care of the issue. That got fixed, but then I have to pack for the trip I took last week. Next thing I know, it’s been a few weeks since I worked on this game! So I apologize if it seemed like I abandoned this project right after I started. I promise you I didn’t! I intend to ramp up production again.

Meanwhile, I did get some work done in the last few days. Mostly I polished some of the RMMV plugins I was making for this game and have released them on my plugins page. I also acquired the Town of Seasons tileset by Sherman3D which is perfect for this project! I’m currently doing editing with it to make it ready to go. I hope to get the existing maps updated with the new tilesets soon. Once I do, I’ll upload screenshots.

That’s it for now. Look forward to the next update!

6. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Aw, I think we can all understand that feeling, @BinaryCodex. Just work at your own pace. (Oh, and, I like the idea of your game, but, are you going to keep the character art that way? Or is that the reason why you put the sad face next to graphics?)

7. BinaryCodex

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Thanks for the support. As for the character art, pretty much yes. I love how she came out just using the generator. I may do some tweaking over time using GCH:pE since I have some skill with doing minor touch-ups. The frown is because I stink at doing graphics from scratch and everything EXCEPT Aya's sprites are just the built-in stuff or just terrible. However, I am starting to find some nice stuff from other sources that may turn things around. Still not much yet.

8. Saneterre

Saneterre Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    You have a nice concept here, I like how you talk about your story.

I just hope that you will seriously upgrade your graphics. I find it difficult to play a RTP-looking game because they all look alike.

9. BinaryCodex

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I know. It's terrible. I will definitely put more effort into the graphics. Right now it's all place holders. I want to get the mechanics and story polished some more first.

If anyone out there wants to help me with the graphics, I would appreciate it!

10. Fireworker

Fireworker Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I loved Oracle of Seasons and the season changing element so I'm looking forward to see what you do with it here :)

11. gendfleur

gendfleur Even Satanists have standards. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    this looks super cute !!! even though you're using RTP (so it does look a little bland) i see a lot of potential here.

i know you said you were looking for graphical help; i'm not able to help with mapping or anything, but i've been collecting resources for MONTHS, so i have a huge resource folder, with credits attached and stuff. if you were to send me a list of stuff you needed, i could probably compile a list of the places you could download them from! :)

12. BinaryCodex

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I am a HUGE Legend of Zelda fan and I admit some inspiration came from Oracle of Season but the concept is intended to be quite different. Hope you like it when it's done!

In response to this, I guess I'll give an update on the game status since it's been a while. I have been beating my head against the wall about the graphics. I do NOT like just using the RTP graphics. I did find the Town of Season DLC and have been working on building tilesets using these. They aren't really the best but there are some great parts that will help to set the mood and really give the feeling of the various seasons. It's a step up but I'm getting a bit annoyed with some parts and I'm working on a plan of attack. That said, the tilesets are my biggest concern so if you have anything to help with that, I would really appreciate it! The main requirement for me is I need tilesets that can be used to make multiple copies of the same map in different seasons. There is even a possible plan to have one place that experiences all 4 seasons at some point or another. You can send me a message here or contact me through my website at binarycodex.moe. I appreciate any help I can get.

======================

In other news, things are slow go since I've also been working to fleshing out some of the plugins I've been working on. Some for this game; some just general plugins for MV. I also have some leads on possible music to use to replace the built-in generics. Finally, I might go off the radar again until after the holidays so stay tuned for more in the new year!

13. Tsarmina

Tsarmina Resident Redhead ♥ Veteran

First Language:
    Java :P
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This is a cute concept :)  And I love the way you introduced Aya's character as if she's talking to us. The powers she has is really neat as well! But does this also mean that she can't use other seasonal powers if she's in another region/season? :x

14. BinaryCodex

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey you! Yes you; in front of the screen reading this post. I'm talking to you! ... Don't give me that look. ... Yes. Holidays are over! ... OK, yes, we still have New Year's, but... No, no! I'm not complaining. I just don't have plans for New Year's so... Uggh. You are impossible. Let's just get to the update shall we? ... Good. Let's go!

So, I hope your holidays were fun and exciting! Before the chaos I had been working on my tilesets. Still am. The tilesets are essentially mix-and-matches of tilesets from various sources. I would like to thank @gendfleur for your suggestions and I believe I have found some tilesets to use for my purposes! I intend to continue working on these and then I will update the existing maps to make sure I have what I need.

After that, I hope to make some more progress on the initial sections of the game itself. I'd like to get the first part out to a mini-demo to illustrate what I'm going for with this game. It will probably only include a rough version of the prologue section with some Winter parts. (Maybe some Autumn or Spring too?) Once that's done, I'll have my foundation to build on for the rest of the game. I can then take a step back and start more detailed plans for the story, puzzles, etc. A bit ahead of myself, maybe, but my goals are clear.

As always, look forward to more to come. I'm excited to get back to work!

==================

Thanks. I'd like this to be fun and lighthearted. Her powers are based on which form she's in which, in turn, is based on the season of the area she's in. So you are correct, she can't use her powers for one season while in another season.

15. Bitschi

Bitschi super duper busy ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Wow, really, really cool concept! I'm loving Aya btw, she's super cute  ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ  I do have a question, though: Are you planning on making the season changes based on time within the game? Like, for example, you can have Aya go to sleep to progress to the next day, and by, say I dunno, the 10th day the season changes? Mechanics wise it does put pressure on players to solve puzzles within seasons, which can be kinda cool, but I'm just asking because I'm curious. This whole changing with the seasons mechanic is fantastic!

16. BinaryCodex

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

To clarify, this is not time based. The seasons of the world are "fractured" as it were. You could be in one place that is in Spring and immediately move into an area in Winter. It's similar to how it works in LoZ: Oracle of Seasons in that regard. Depending on the conditions, you may even see the same area again in a different season. This plays into the way the puzzles will work.

Also, thank you for your comments. I love Aya's concept too! Super cute!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2017
  17. Nenê

Nenê When Kingdom Comes Member

First Language:
    English
    @BinaryCodex

Very interesting concept! I like it alot. And, even though As the Seasons Change won't be a traditional RPG, I think it will still be refreshing as an RPG Maker game.

I've found that I really enjoy games, like the Uncharted series for example, that seem to focus primarily on exploration, puzzle solving, game mechanics and a good story. I imagine I could find the same sense of enjoyment with your game as well.

It's good that you have some graphics/images within the game to use as placeholders and I absolutely believe you should focus on what you're good at doing first - programming. The character generator does a good enough job of giving you something basic to work with so there really isn't any rush or concern with that yet.

The game itself looks very pretty.

Now, I haven't been exposed to many RPG Maker games as most users on here probably have, but I can at least say that, for me, the different maps look simple yet wonderful because of the placement of each tile and the way things are arranged. Add that to the fact that you plan on showcasing different seasons for every map and you have quite a variety there already.

Nevertheless (and in my humble opinion), I believe simplicity is sometimes the absolute best way to go. And, if anything, this at least puts you in a great position to make even better improvements or changes down the road, should you choose to do so.

Overall, As the Seasons Change looks great, sounds interesting and reads wonderfully. I already like Aya's personality and the game sounds like holds some wonderful surprises all while delivering an enjoyable story. I look forwarding to seeing the finished product.  :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2017
  18. BinaryCodex

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Thanks so much! I'm happy to hear things like this. It helps me to move forward. And to your point, yes, I need to shift my focus. I had already been thinking about that for a while.

As such, here is the latest development log from my website:

====================

Me, Myself, and I were discussing the direction we needed to go on this project a while ago. Me suggested we start with getting tilesets and building the maps from there. Myself suggested finishing the half-done features in the few plugins built for the game since there wasn’t much left and it was annoying leaving it like that. I suggested stepping back and working on the planning for the story and mechanics. Should be an obvious choice, right? Well like an idiot Myself and I went with Me’s plan…

So, my efforts with these tilesets have not been satisfying. Honestly, I shouldn’t be focusing on this anyway. I decided to work on my plugins I’m building for a while and have finished the parts of those I wanted to get done. I plan to release these when they are bit more complete. My new focus will be on planning and design for the game. I want to get the core of the puzzles going first and then make sure the story outline is right. These are things more tailored to my skills and will allow me to make much more progress. I do intend to return to the graphics in the future. This is especially true since the 4 seasons need to be distinct. I have a plan for this when it comes back around.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2017
  19. BinaryCodex

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow! Haven't had a chance to post again in a while. I have been busy with some other projects as well as this one. Also work, family, and some awesome video games too. (I swear it's not procrastination. I'm totally not trying to convince myself of that either. >.>) Anyway...

I've mostly been working on planning out some puzzles/levels and such. I may even have found someone willing to do some graphics work for me but I'm still in negotiations. I've got to tell you though, been in a bit of a game development version of a writer's block. Terrible! Simply terrible! I have a plan but the details just won't flow. I really want to hash out some levels to get a demo going to demonstrate the direction of the project. My description may not truly convey my vision. ... Dang. I sound like an annoying artist. Time to get back to work!

On the other hand, I have some plugins I developed for MV that I'm thinking of posting here and on my website. Look forward to it!

20. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, I'm glad you're back to posting. I'd like to see your game when it gets a little further! And let me know if you need GUI. :ahappy: