FREE Asearia. Looking for writers and mappers.

Discussion in 'Project Recruitment' started by Vincent Chu, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Vincent Chu

Vincent Chu Writer and translator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Warning! There will be some references to religion (fictional ones within the world of the game), politics and sex but no actual nudity will be shown in the game. If you feel uncomfortable about this, you may freely choose to ignore this project's thread.

Engine: RMMV

Thanks for looking at this thread.
    I'm making a classical story-driven, open world medieval fantasy RPG with lots of features and plot twists.
    I'm looking for people interested in the story and the features to help make this dream into a reality.

Immediate priority:
    I'm currently looking for mappers, writers, structural artists and sprite artist.

Further down the line:
    The project will also need beta testers but that will be much later.

Don't worry if you feel you're not very skilled. Anyone is welcome to help in any amount they wish to. Any help is appreciated. If you lack confidence or simply wish to try doing something you're unfamiliar with, you can still volunteer to produce some placeholder rough work for testing out game mechanics. However, if you wish to remain as part of the team, you will need to be open to constructive feedback. I will try to be polite.

My roles
    I think I will be doing most of the writing and eventing. I will also be piecing various resources and contributions together and making various edits.

I don't want to spoil too much of the story yet but here's the dialogue for the intro scene (it's quite long):

In City of Grandos, a sacred tournament to determine the successor of Zengaia, the most prominent guild in the kingdom of Zutenia was to be held.

Announcer, “Ladies and gentlemen! We are proud to present the winner of the tournament, Kenneth Erwin!”

Applause

Rugged young man, “Excuse me, coming through! Oh no! I'm late! Is it over already!? Noooooo!”

Guild master, “What time do you call this Cento!?”

Cento, “I'm really sorry master Guan but you see I was so looking forward to competing in this tournament I couldn't sleep until really really late last night so I had a few drinks to help me sleep better and well you know I'm normally not much of an alcoholic so it turns out I'm actually kind of a lightweight and the plan kind of worked a little bit too well. Heh, heh.”

Guan, “You're an embarrassment to our guild! Stand aside quietly for now and I'll decide how to punish you later! You shall not disrupt this sacred tournament any further.”

Cento, “Yes master.”

Guan, “Kenneth Erwin! You shall henceforth be granted one of the guild's sacred heirlooms. Retrieve the Medallion of Honour!”

Guild member in blue, “Master! It's missing! The Medallion of Honour is nowhere to be found!”

Guan, “What!?”

Cento, “Wait a minute. You guys aren't by any chance talking about that shiny necklace thing with a ruby gemstone in the middle that's been sitting in the storage cabinet gathering dust for ages right?”

Guan, “Cento! What did you do with it!?”

Cento, “Well, I sort of pawned it off to the local trading post.”

Guan, “You stole from the guild that raised you!?”

Cento, “No I just borrowed it! Well... you see I was planning on winning the tournament today for sure. I figured that it was just gathering dust anyway so if I pawned it for 10000 coins. I could then treble that money by betting on myself winning the tournament and then I'd be able to buy it back right away for just 12000 coins. Then, I'd return it to its' normal routine of eternal dust gathering and no one would have missed it or even noticed it was gone for just a day or two. I'd make an easy profit of 18000 coins and no one would be harmed. I was even planning to use some of that money to treat everyone to a nice meal to cheer them up after I beat them in the tournament. It was supposed to be a win-win situation for everyone.

Guan: ...

Cento: Honestly, you've got to believe me! I really was planning on returning it so it really shouldn't count as stealing. I'm really sorry. I know I messed up. I honestly didn't know how important that antique was. I mean if I did, I would have at least asked for way more than just 10000 coins, I mean I would definitely never have stole it I mean borrowed it in the first place.”

Guan, “Unbelievable! You are an absolute disgrace to our guild! From this moment on, you are banished from Zengaia! Pack your belongings and leave right now!”

Cento, “You're joking right? You're not really going to kick me out just like that are you?”

Guan, “I'll say it one last time. You are banished! Get out of my sight!”

Cento, “Fine but I'm going to make you regret kicking me out. I'm going to travel the world and recruit and train talented warriors to form my own guild and my guild will be even greater than Zengaia!”

Cento storms off with an angry expression.

15 days ago....

Guan, “Finally, it seems there is no one else listening to us at the moment. Cento, I have something extremely important to ask of you.”

Cento, “Are you asking me to take good care of the guild? Don't worry. I promise I will do everything I can to honour the guild and help the people of this land.”

Guan, “I believe in you. You are my most trustworthy pupil. You are also the smartest and most talented pupil I have ever had. I know that you are more than capable of winning the tournament and that you have the potential to become a great guild master. That is why you must not win the tournament. Not only that, I need you to leave this guild in an utterly shameful manner.”

Cento, “What!?”

Guan, “I'm really sorry to place such a heavy burden on someone as young as you are. However, I believe you may be the most suitable candidate for the task I'm about to entrust to you.”

Cento, “I see. You have some sort of secret mission for me. Alright. I will do anything you ask of me master. I will never forget the debt I owe you for saving my life and raising me after my town was destroyed by monsters seven years ago when I was eleven.”

Guan, “Very well. As you already know, the queen Lycina and general Wu has numerous people and monsters keeping watch over every single guild in the kingdom in case any of us planned to oppose her.”

Cento: Yes.

Guan: As the master of the most prominent guild in the country and one of the most powerful wizards in the world, I cannot act too freely without being noticed.

Cento: I understand.

Guan: You recall the Legend of the Demon King Zargonoth yes?

Cento: Of course. Every child in the kingdom probably knows the story. The evil Demon King was killed a long time ago by five legendary warrior sages right?

Guan: That is unfortunately only part of the story. The horrific part of the truth was kept a secret so that people would not fall into despair.

Cento: What!? I don't like the sound of this.

Guan: While it was true that Zargonoth's body was killed, his soul was not completely destroyed. It was prophesied that he would most likely be reborn even stronger than he was before. The Five Legendary Sages whom fought Zargonoth also suffered grave injuries and they all died within a few days after the epic battle.

Cento: So all that happily ever after stuff was just a lie to help naïve children sleep better at night.

Guan: However, before the heroes died, they entrusted a guild with an important task. Each of the five sages cast one final spell on five different coloured gemstones. It was a forbidden magic spell that would transfer a small part of their souls' into the gemstones.”

Cento: Let me guess, Zengaia was the guild that was tasked with keeping the gems and you're handing them over to me to go on some epic quest to find the reincarnations of the five legendary warrior sages because you have reason to believe that Zargonoth will be resurrected fairly soon.

Guan: Correct! I knew you were smart. I presume you already know that when a small fragment of a soul comes near the rest of the soul, it will naturally want to be reunited to become whole again. Each of these gemstones will vibrate intensely to one of the reincarnated sages presence. When you notice any of the stones vibrate, that means that at least one of them is close by. If you walk in the right direction towards the correct person, the vibrations should intensify even further.

Cento: Understood.

Guan: The reincarnated sage corresponding to each gem would only need to crush the gems in the palm of their hands and their soul fragments will naturally return to them.

Cento: What will happen then? Will their memories and powers be suddenly restored?

Guan: Unfortunately, it is not that simple. When people are reincarnated, they normally completely lose the memories and skills acquired in their previous lives. However, if a person were to come into contact with a magically preserved fragment of his or her own soul from a past life, that person would then have a chance of gradually regaining the memories and skills from that particular lifetime. When you find them, you will need to protect and guide each of them as they gradually regain their powers. I need you to fully prepare them for the rebirth of the Demon King as well as ensure their safety and keep their identities a secret until the time is right.

Cento: I understand master. I will do everything I can to ensure the success of this mission!

Guan: Good. Remember to always act wisely in hope of achieving the best possible future outcome. I must warn you that even with the sages at their full strength, the outcome was only a draw and the battle resulted in numerous civilian casualties and vast destruction to the land. This time around, even though Zargonoth may be stronger than before, if possible, I would like you to find a way to achieve a better outcome than a simple repeat of the tragic battle.

Cento: Yes master. Oh... by the way, I've been wondering, do the recently built Ozenaroth temples have anything to do with the Demon King's resurrection? Would I be safe to assume that Ozenaroth is actually a demon in disguise and that he secretly serves Zargonoth?

Guan: Nice deductive skills as always but this time you're slightly off. I recently translated some ancient scrolls uncovered from an archaeological dig site and discovered that Zargonoth had another alias in some other parts of the world‒ Ozenaroth.

The story will be focused on four main characters but I'll probably use a plugin to enable up to six battlers per battle.
    Here's a list of some of the potential features and side quests I intend to implement besides the main story:

Relationship system based on story choices;
    Teamwork points system based on battles (for learning skills from each other).
    A wise hermit offering numerous puzzles (and rewards accessible about a third into the game);
    A battle arena (about halfway into the game) for those who love grinding and combat;
    Town development (after saving a small village from being completely destroyed by demons about 60% into the story);
    Farming (within the town development);
    Monster capture/summon system;
    Optional additional human allies each with their own stories (about a dozen planned but can include more later);
    Four alternative endings (already planned),
    Trade system similar to Suikoden
    and maybe some ideas you come up with that is manageable and not too difficult to implement at least to some decent level.
    Depending on the level of help I receive, some of the features might be removed due to time consumption.

I know this project probably sounds overambitious. This is exactly why I know I need lots of help in all areas.
    Thanks again for reading all this. If you're interested, feel free to PM me or post here.

I'd also like to thank @Puruiro for offering to help me with some of the artwork even though she's busy with other things.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  2. Vincent Chu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's some of the initial character designs by Puruiro.

upload_2018-3-26_13-33-24.png
    upload_2018-3-26_13-34-43.png
    upload_2018-3-26_13-38-12.png

3. rubybird63

rubybird63 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hi I like how ambitious your game is and would really like to help with the art anyway I can, you can look at my Instagram and see if my art and if it fits what you are looking for @cat.shack

Vincent Chu likes this.
  4. Vincent Chu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks. I've sent you a PM.

5. Frosty_Games_

Frosty_Games_ That one little boy. Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm interested in making the music for the game. my work is here. dm if you are interested.

Vincent Chu likes this.
  6. JustinK

JustinK Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi there,

I really like the idea about an open-world, 'do what you want'-type of game. Therefore I am also interested in working with you and others on this project.
    I am capable of mapping and programming, also, I can write, but I would not see that as one of my strong points.
    I would love to hear more about this project and hope that I can cooperate with you and your team.
    Feel free to send me a message if you want any information.

Greetings,

JustinK

Vincent Chu likes this.
  7. DianteC

DianteC Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'd love to help with anything possible. I'm a bit of a jack so I can help around in different areas. Not sure what graphics your using but I'm a big FES fan. Either way I can help. Just let me know :).

Vincent Chu likes this.
  8. QuesadasSwan

QuesadasSwan Magic Swordsfellow/Programmer/Writer Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi Vincent,

The story here looks pretty interesting so far...

I could help with some of the scripting and story editing in your project, though I'm still learning Javascript myself. I might help with beta testing too if you need one later on.

PM me if you're interested. Thank you!

Vincent Chu likes this.
  9. Nightblade50

Nightblade50 Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hey, I could do maps for you if you want. This project sounds cool. PM me if interested :)

Vincent Chu likes this.
  10. ZephyrAM

ZephyrAM Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey Vincent,

Your project looks interesting and with 'lots' to work on, so I'd love to help where I can. My main areas are working with/modifying plugins (still working toward being able to create entirely new ones), eventing, and story writing/creation (plot, world rules, etc.). If any of that's useful to you, let me know.

~ Zephyr

Vincent Chu likes this.
  11. Vincent Chu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Update:
    I am happy that we currently have a nice friendly team with a wide set of skills. However, due to various commitments of the writers in the team including myself, I am still looking for a friendly writer or two to help speed things up a bit. Currently, it seems that most of us are often either too busy or too anxious to write the first rough draft of the dialogues for various parts of the story. I am actually very happy with the parts that have been written so far though despite the need for some further polishing.
    I'm also very slow at typing and can be rather indecisive in my choice of words too despite already having an organized story plan for the whole game.
    If anyone is interested in helping with writing, don't hesitate to PM me or leave a message below. As I'm currently mostly aiming to get the rough draft of the dialogues finished, you don't have to be highly skilled. I'm mostly looking for someone with a friendly and humble attitude that's all.
    Also, perhaps I'm stating the obvious but writers for this project don't actually need to even own any game making engines such as RPG Maker to contribute.
    Thanks for reading this.

starlight dream likes this.
  12. Nightblade50

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You could ask @Jchurch9. He made a writing workshop and he made the writing for my game. Currently, there is no more writing for him, so you could ask him. He has a Discord account as well. With the same username :)

Vincent Chu and starlight dream like this.
  13. Vincent Chu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit
    I've not heard back from him yet. Maybe he's busy. I don't know. Anyway, I guess this means we could still use some more help with writing then.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Nightblade50 likes this.
  14. kaylors

kaylors Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi Vincent,

The story sounds pretty cool, interesting mechanics planned and overall something I can dive into. I am proficient in programming and my writing is not too bad either. Let me know if I can help.

Vincent Chu likes this.
  15. starlight dream

starlight dream Loving life...One dream at a time Veteran

First Language:
    EN, EL, FR
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You may want to check out @BrandedTales ' free writing & editing workshop. The reviews are very positive and he's currently active.

16. Nightblade50

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    He made a scene for my game and it was amazing.

17. Vincent Chu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm happy we've got several writers on the team. However, I still feel a bit uneasy with the fact that all the writers are guys while about half the world of Asearia are female. I'd like to recruit an additional female writer to help balance our perspectives so that it won't be just a bunch of guys dictating every single action and reaction of all the female characters in the game world. I'm looking for a friendly, enthusiastic and polite female writer to join this project. You're welcome to PM me if interested.

starlight dream likes this.
  18. Nightblade50

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I might be happy to help with that, but there's just one problem...:p

Vincent Chu and starlight dream like this.
  19. Vincent Chu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm still looking for more team members for various roles. Feel free to PM me or reply below if you're interested.

20. Vincent Chu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Update:
    I am still looking for mappers and writers.
    I am willing to offer proofreading, translation work and game testing in return too.
    Feel free to PM me or post here if you're interested.

Kaeki likes this.