Asset conversion, is it allowed to publish?

rechronicle

Mystvaldia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hope this is the right place to ask.

Let's say, I'm converting assets from MV to MZ, then release it online. Is it allowed? As what I'm doing here will be releasing something that is locked behind paywalls and furthermore I can't control what the downloader will do to the asset. Whether they have legal MV/MZ.

The enlightenment about this matter will be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Hyouryuu-Na

Sapphire Sodium
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What do you mean conversion? I thought MV and MZ both are 48x48...

rechronicle

Mystvaldia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ah, I'm just using the two latest game engines as an example. :)

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What are you releasing online? Your game that uses those assets, or the assets themselves?

If you are releasing a game, it should be encrypted, which means people can't just open the files and use them. And people don't need MV or MZ in order to play deployed games, so you don't need to check.

If you are talking about releasing the assets, I don't believe you can sell assets based on the RTP. I might be wrong about that, so if that is what you plan to do, definitely make sure it's okay first.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It depends on the ToS/EULA of whatever resources you are converting.

If that alows editing and reposting, then you can post the conversions. If it does not allow that, then not.

For example the RTP allows that, and a lot of the tilesets or sprites posted on this forum are RTP-edits.
On the other hand a lot of the original resources posted here on the forum do not allow reposts even if they are allowed to be used in your commercial games - their artists gave you the licence to use them but everyone who wants to use them has to download them from those artist's topics as reposts were not allowed.
And purchased shop-resources have still other requirements, they not only are forbidden to repost but you are required to encrypt your game when using them.

So you need to specifically ask for what resources, there is no blanket rule for everything.

rechronicle

Mystvaldia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz Only the RTP assets, should be on 'MZ Resource' thread. But I will still need to link it on hosting site like itch.io to download the sample project, that's where 'releasing online' come from.

I'm not going to sell it. Although releasing it for free also needs some clarification on whether I will violate the term or not by doing that.

@Andar Got it! It should be okay then because I'm just using & edit the RTP asset.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Finally! I've been puzzling over why it wasn't working for two days now. Turns out all of my calculations were correct, I just forgot to give some events hitboxes. :kaoswt: Now my randomly generated maps check for collision errors, and move stuff around in real time if they finds any. :LZSexcite:
Ami
--- OP Candy ---

Kids: Trick Or Treat!
Hero: Alright,here's the Candies (Give A Bunch Of Candy).
Kids: Thank you,Mister! (Running)
Hero: How cute they are…
F.Archer: Did you give them a OP Candy,accidently?
Hero: Huh?
Halloween, a day where kids are encouraged to take candy from strangers.
Stream will be live shortly with a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Took a break from spriting dinosaurs to carve a dinosaur pumpkin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vendomis