Assistance with Parallax mapping

rpgkylon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My friend and I am making maps using photoshop, and we have yet to figure out how to make water move or layer maps. A lot of Youtube tutorials are kind of difficult to understand and we are looking for help on making water not look like a painting. Anyone have ideas?

Puffer

creator of a game that doesnt exist yet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Usually what I would do to make animated water is to just make the water part empty and then added it in RPG Maker, it could just be something as simple as using the water autotiles 3 frames animation, or if I want something a bit more complicated I will use parallax and then animating them. This is one example of that
(youtube compression really does hurt this one quite a lot)

Malek King also have a nice tutorial on youtube on how to make the water, you can check it out here

In conclusion there are many approaches to make water in RM, while they will probably never looks as good as water in let's say a 3d game, it certainly does get the work done well enough

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
layer maps require at least two pictures and either careful eventing or a script/plugin to display the second picture as the upper layer, or definately a script/plugin is you want to add a light/shadow layer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Who would think putting a power button on a side of a laptop is a good thing? You want to move the laptop and you suddenly press the button.
The second draft of my script is almost done, and I don't think I'm going to write a third draft. I'll make changes to dialogue here and there, but I'm happy with the series of events the way they are.
How you feel about font and dialogue box changing for every main character while the minor cast and regular npc get their own styles? Too much?
Just found an obviously custom effect (i.e. edited by me) in my resources>sounds folder called "rip jaw off". Dear Lord what is wrong with me as a person that at some point I needed a sound *specifically* for THAT??
(...rhetorical question.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasasewamobilbali