Assume this would happen.

Crowndemon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Assume someone created tilesheets with 2000+ sprites that he/she sold. What would you be ready to pay for that amount of sprites?

Assume the forest had A-B-C-.D packed with sprites, so the forest alone would be 500 sprites aswell as character packs and battler packs with like 200 enemies +.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That would be against the terms of this forum.  You can create custom tilesheets and sell them as a commission (a single sale, and only after you've been here long enough to get access to the Classifieds area), but if you want to sell in bulk you need to talk to Lunarea about getting them on the store.

As for pricing - there are already tilesets like this on the store.  Look at what they're selling for.

Last edited by a moderator:

LuLingqi1

A Spellthief With A Bone To Pick
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hmm... This might get moved cause I think this is the wrong section for this thread, but, assuming someone did do this. I would base my assumption of price on quality. So, assuming it's bad quality, maybe 5-10 dollars. If it's good quality, maybe 20+.

I think the real question is, are you selling them as assets to everyone who wants to buy, or maybe one person and only they get to use them for their project? I think that would up the pricing a bit as well.

Crowndemon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
"That would be against the terms of this forum.  You can create custom tilesheets and sell them as a commission, but if you want to sell in bulk you need to talk to Lunarea about getting them on the store.

As for pricing - there are already tilesets like this on the store.  Look at what they're selling for"

First of all, none of the tilesheets in this store are complete. It's like buying a 1/10 of what you need to make a complete game that is not garbage or a dragon quest clone. I have spent like 150 dollars on tilesheets from this store and only high fantasy was close to complete. The tilesheets was around 1500 + sprites. Still not enough.

I worked with mapping for like 4 years+ and I know you need tons of sprites to make a good map.

"Hmm... This might get moved cause I think this is the wrong section for this thread, but, assuming someone did do this. I would base my assumption of price on quality. So, assuming it's bad quality, maybe 5-10 dollars. If it's good quality, maybe 20+.

I think the real question is, are you selling them as assets to everyone who wants to buy, or maybe one person and only they get to use them for their project? I think that would up the pricing a bit as well"

For everyone to use.

LuLingqi1

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well.. What are you trying to sell it for, is a better question? I mean, if it's something everyone can buy and use, it's not gonna be unique to just one game, y'know? So you can't sell it for some ghastly high price. But if only one person can buy and use it, I can see a higher price being eligible.

Crowndemon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Well.. What are you trying to sell it for, is a better question? I mean, if it's something everyone can buy and use, it's not gonna be unique to just one game, y'know? So you can't sell it for some ghastly high price. But if only one person can buy and use it, I can see a higher price being eligible.

Well, as I said. I know how insanly hard it is to create a game with the tiles we now use. It's close to impossible if you want something that is actually good. Take a forest for example, what do we have? The base pack has like 20 forest sprites, grass, flowers, mushrooms and trees. That's nothing. You can pretty much do nothing.

Take the enemies, we have like 20 sprites that walk around, and like 70 battlers, and that's nothing... You can create a 8bit Dragon quest. I don't see the fun in that.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, you do need a ton of sprites.  So maybe if your set is fuller than anything on the store, you could ask for more.  Maybe PM Lunarea and see what she thinks is a suitable price, given that she (unlike most of us who would reply here) is an artist and has done tilesets for the store.  You'll still have to talk to her about going through the store, if you want to sell in bulk.

Crowndemon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Doesn't change the fact that you won't be able to sell it on here in bulk and will have to go through the forum store.  Maybe PM Lunarea and see what she thinks is a suitable price, given that she (unlike most of us who would reply here) is an artist and has done tilesets for the store.

I really didn't said it would be sold here. I asked what people was ready to pay for that kind of tiles. There is really no plans of selling it here as far as I know. I just want to check if it's worth the while to create these 2000 + sprites.

LuLingqi1

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, as I said. I know how insanly hard it is to create a game with the tiles we now use. It's close to impossible if you want something that is actually good. Take a forest for example, what do we have? The base pack has like 20 forest sprites, grass, flowers, mushrooms and trees. That's nothing. You can pretty much do nothing.

Take the enemies, we have like 20 sprites that walk around, and like 70 battlers, and that's nothing... You can create a 8bt Dragon quest. I don't see the fun in that.
I paid eighty dollars to just get RMMV. That's a steep purchase. Frankly, even with all these not so finished sets, when combined, you can get a nice set together, and a lot of it is free as long as you credit.

If you're selling a set to create a full game, I would say it should be priced at a little less than what the game is going to sell for. So taking RMMVs cost out of the equation, I should be willing to spend 70% of what I think is atleast 3 sales of the game. So if I had a good quality game with unique assets, let's say 12-20 dollars? And it's a good game. Sooo... I would say anywhere from 8ish-14ish dollars? But I think you'll hit a roadblock, because like, more people buying = more games it is in which = less people thinking it'll be worth using.

Personally, for all the work you're doing for this, I think you should sell it to one person at an increased price. Sorry if I'm not making sense.

Crowndemon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
"I paid eighty dollars to just get RMMV. That's a steep purchase. Frankly, even with all these not so finished sets, when combined, you can get a nice set together, and a lot of it is free as long as you credit.

If you're selling a set to create a full game, I would say it should be priced at a little less than what the game is going to sell for. So taking RMMVs cost out of the equation, I should be willing to spend 70% of what I think is atleast 3 sales of the game. So if I had a good quality game with unique assets, let's say 12-20 dollars? And it's a good game. Sooo... I would say anywhere from 8ish-14ish dollars?"

8-14 dollars for 2000 + sprites. You kidding, right?

LuLingqi1

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
2000+ sprites that everyone else can buy and put into their game, thus making my game less unique and probably make those sprites easier to be recognized amongst the games within them?

I'm being completely serious, especially since, there's no way I'm buying something unless I'm using it commercially. There's a reason most RM games that use base assets are free, and the ones that use a bit of them are cheaper than the ones where it's all originally produced. Once it becomes a set, payable or not, it will lower the price of every game that uses it due to more games using it.

Look at it from a consumer and producer stand point.

Crowndemon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
2000+ sprites that everyone else can buy and put into their game, thus making my game less unique and probably make those sprites easier to be recognized amongst the games within them?

And that would change the fact from how it is now, how? How many have unique tile sets that are good looking?

LuLingqi1

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Why would I spend +$20 on something every single person who sees where you're selling it can buy it? That lowers the pricing of my game.

I'm a consumer and a producer.I don't want to have the same thing my competitors have. I want better things than my competitors. So, if my competitors can get the same exact thing you're selling, and also use it as a producer, I'm just wasting my money. We're all in competition once you put a price tag on something.

Your strength over the competition is your quantity (I know nothing of the quality). Your weakness is that you're selling it to anyone who wants it.

As I said, if I could buy it and be the only one who buys it, then I'd go for a much steeper price. Otherwise, it's not worth that much to a consumer with intents on using it in production. Unless they want it to be free, but I'm sure no one is gonna buy something and not try to make money off of it, unless it's quite cheap.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When selling in bulk, you can sell a lot more copies, so your price can be lower than a commission for a single person.

I'd probably pay around $30-$40 for a complete tileset that is not for exclusive use, IF it had a lot of tiles that I would use in my game, which means some of them would have to be very specialized, making it less useful for others.  I believe they are worth a lot more (and I have paid a lot more).  But I'm comparing it with others on the store that sell for much lower prices.

Crowndemon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Why would I spend +$20 on something every single person who sees where you're selling it can buy it? That lowers the pricing of my game.

I'm a consumer and a producer.I don't want to have the same thing my competitors have. I want better things than my competitors. So, if my competitors can get the same exact thing you're selling, and also use it as a producer, I'm just wasting my money. We're all in competition once you put a price tag on something.

Your strength over the competition is your quantity (I know nothing of the quality). Your weakness is that you're selling it to anyone who wants it.

As I said, if I could buy it and be the only one who buys it, then I'd go for a much steeper price. Otherwise, it's not worth that much to a consumer with intents on using it in production. Unless they want it to be free, but I'm sure no one is gonna buy something and not try to make money off of it, unless it's quite cheap.

Alright, thanks for your opinon.

Crowndemon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
When selling in bulk, you can sell a lot more copies, so your price can be lower than a commission for a single person.

I'd probably pay around $30-$40 for a complete tileset that is not for exclusive use, IF it had a lot of tiles that I would use in my game, which means some of them would have to be very specialized, making it less useful for others.  I believe they are worth a lot more (and I have paid a lot more).  But I'm comparing it with others on the store that sell for much lower prices.

Alright, thanks for your answer.

LuLingqi1

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
End all be all, if it LOOKS worth the price you're slapping on it. It's WORTH the price you're slapping on it. As a consumer with my interests out there, I'd much rather commission someone of your talent. I'm just crazy. The best thing to do, is to show case some of it, not most of it, but some of it. Maybe a few sprites from each of your packs. Getting random answers when this is all a hypothetical scenario, is a bit silly.

I think there's a pack being sold for like 12 dollars or so, it's a horror pack? It's on the RPG Maker store. I liked it, but I didn't think it was worth the 12 dollars lol.

Try to step away from the "I made this and want to sell it for this." And be like "If I wanted to use this all in my games, how much would I buy it for if I were gonna sell the game it's in?"

Crowndemon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
End all be all, if it LOOKS worth the price you're slapping on it. It's WORTH the price you're slapping on it. As a consumer with my interests out there, I'd much rather commission someone of your talent. I'm just crazy. The best thing to do, is to show case some of it, not most of it, but some of it. Maybe a few sprites from each of your packs. Getting random answers when this is all a hypothetical scenario, is a bit silly.

I think there's a pack being sold for like 12 dollars or so, it's a horror pack? It's on the RPG Maker store. I liked it, but I didn't think it was worth the 12 dollars lol.

Try to step away from the "I made this and want to sell it for this." And be like "If I wanted to use this all in my games, how much would I buy it for if I were gonna sell the game it's in?"

Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say.

LuLingqi1

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The way you've asked this question, and how you've pointed your response, sound a lot like you're looking at it from the viewpoint of someone selling something they worked hard on. I'm saying, look at it at a consumer's point of view. You have to weigh in every single option and really ponder "Is my pack worth this much?" Hearing one person say "It should be under 20 dollars" and hearing another person say "I've paid a lot for a tile set so you can sell it for a lot" is way different then telling yourself, and us what you think it's worth. And again, we're all talking about pricing without seeing concrete quantity or quality.

So, look at it from a buyer's perspective, then come back and ask the question along with showing material. Cause saying you have 2500+ sprites means nothing if the majority of them are nothing but recolors..

Crowndemon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
The way you've asked this question, and how you've pointed your response, sound a lot like you're looking at it from the viewpoint of someone selling something they worked hard on. I'm saying, look at it at a consumer's point of view. You have to weigh in every single option and really ponder "Is my pack worth this much?" Hearing one person say "It should be under 20 dollars" and hearing another person say "I've paid a lot for a tile set so you can sell it for a lot" is way different then telling yourself, and us what you think it's worth. And again, we're all talking about pricing without seeing concrete quantity or quality.

So, look at it from a buyer's perspective, then come back and ask the question along with showing material. Cause saying you have 2500+ sprites means nothing if the majority of them are nothing but recolors..

Now I understand what you meant. Thank you. Btw, what is your favorite form of tileset that you can get from the shop?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

does there exist a word for a state of being that is between "living" and (not "dead", but ...) "not living" .... does that make sense, or do I just sound like Im high for something :[ ?
Hope you are all fine today~
Moderators, you must have so much patience to be able to deal with everything. I mod in a server of sorts and today we just got a message, which, despite it's helpful constructive criticism, basically stated that all of the mods were jerks and that was the only reason our server was unlikeable. So, thank you, for having patience. You are appreciated! :kaoluv:
Haired slime? Trying some different styles of art. Maybe I can make some resources with this new kind of painting.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shivamgiri