Yo Ewan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
*clap* *clap*
Very, very well done. It's all very polished and clean, the font is very easy to read, the tileset was selected perfectly(I think you even made some of your own sprites too, so well done,) and the writing was great. I take my hat off to you, good sir!

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Finally watched the Driftwood stream of this game which prompted me to download immediately. I haven't gotten farther than I watched on the stream yet so what I watched looked great!

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@S1130rG.Studi0s

I appreciate the support! Hope you enjoyed it. If you have any feedback, please let me know. Even if it's nitpicky stuff.

@Yo Ewan

Awesome! Glad you enjoyed it. Every reply helps keep me motivated, so thank you. I need to hear these things.

@Arcmagik

If you don't happen to finish it, the completed demo will have quite a bit more content. I'm hoping to have that ready in a couple months. So feel free to wait until then if you'd like.

What that said, here's a little summary what I plan to include in the completed demo.
  • Another story element with some cutscenes that will make Oswyn's purpose more clear. (a.k.a The Rising Action, or Trigger)
  • Another dungeon-type of map with enemies.
  • Introducing two characters that will be integral in the progression of the story.
  • "Exploration" locations will be available, unlike the BETA.
  • More spell elements.
  • Fishing Mini-Game.
  • Arena Battle Mini-Game/Side quest.

rtester

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
BETA Demo is up! I imagine quite a few bugs will be found. I'll be sure to get rid of them as soon as they're brought to my attention.

All feedback is greatly appreciated. If it means dropping and/or changing certain mechanics and features, then I'm more than willing to do so. My main concern is whether or not I have a project that's worth continuing. So please don't hesitate to share your opinions, no matter how negative they may be.
Where is the download link?

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@rtester

It's at the bottom of the original post, in the spoiler. Says "BETA Demo Release".

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Neo Soul Gamer Did you make the big double Castle doors yourself? I noticed it while I was messing around with Time Fantasy that it didn't have a door like that.

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Arcmagik

Sure did! There's more than a few custom resources there. Some made by me, some commissioned by others. The double doors were made my me though.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Neo Soul Gamer Out of curiosity who did the commissions? I'd like to know if I need someone to emulate the TF in the future.

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Neo Soul Gamer Yeah I support him on *******. I didn't realize that he did commissions though. Thank you. Game looks awesome. Keep it up!

Mister.Right

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Looking good. I like the tileset. Looks old school Nes game to me.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The title of DW's video forces me to try this game too. "Hard to find any flaws"... I just have to try this! Because so far every game I have tested popped up flaws in few minutes of gameplay.

Edit: I've gone through the demo, here's my feedback.
The graphics look pretty nice and unique, pretty much nothing to say about them. In the woods though, there is a graphical bug when an armadillo tries to go through the log from the side.
Screenshot_50.png
Your language is pretty neat and I was fairly surprised by that. I've been able to notice several grammar mistakes. Nothing too grave though and something needs advanced English to be visible. However, if you're interested in correction, feel free to send me a PM.
I liked the Options menu description. It was really well made. However, you should put somewhere advice to turn off autodashing in the Danger locations. Because this is one of the few games where it needs to be turned off due to the limited stamina and ambushing. Which reminds me, the ambushing is kind of weird. The tutorial says that if you attack them when they can't see you, you'll have the advantage. I noticed though that it isn't 100%, that the advantage is only like in 50% of the cases. I think that the tutorial describes it as "you will have the advantage and strike before anyone can strike", which gives the impression of 100% chance (if it doesn't, sorry, my mistake). But in fact, I was once ambushed even though I attacked from the front :D
Then there are several things that I didn't like regarding eventing and things around it.
1. When you have to kill those two soldiers before you can go to the leader of the "rebellion", you cannot just go through the paths of fighting soldiers. I understand why it is this way, but it was weird. At least put there a collision event that says "We can't get caught up in fighting these" or stuff like that, because just standing there is seriously awkward.
And then when you say "I'm not ready yet" to the guy at the west gate, before you can move again, there is a veeeeeery long pause. A short pause here is enough, long one is just annoying.
I hope the music is just a temporary demo choice, because it doesn't fit there at all.

However, all these are quite minor things... The one thing that I have to say I hated was the battle system and the level curve.
I liked the offer of the battle hints. However, I let them be turned off, because during playtesting I want to explore things by myself, completely unbiased by shenanigans. As it turns out, I didn't need them at all. I didn't even buy any equips, because I didn't want to waste my precious 20 gold.
The battle system is fairly simple and that's nothing against it. A command to refill mp, a command to refill sp, spells and skills... These are all fine. But when I realized the stamina points refill after every battle (took me three battles), suddenly I realized the game balance was broken. After the third fight I had to heal Orwyn (or how he is called - I'm terrible with names), because he had died in battle with armadillos. But from that point I began (ab)using the SP and I suddenly pulled through the fights mostly undamaged or with minor damage when RNG screwed me over or I wasn't having the advantage (I only healed when I was lv 4 and not because I needed it, both heroes still had over 20 HP, but because there was this infinite source of mana). As I reached level 4, I was already pretty untouchable (turtle gave me 1-3 damage when it did, I was one shotting bats and two shotting the imp)... And suddenly I got the idea that instead of just wasting the precious turns in battle I could use them to heal my mana and with it of course my HP. Because not only their damage was very low (I was only "annoyed" by bats' blood drain, which hit me for 11 damage), but also when you one shot bats, there are two bats against you and you have the advantage, Orwyn (or how is he called) can freely use the first turn to heal 1 MP. His teammate kills one bat, he kills the second one before the bats can move... And that's it.
To be honest, when I reached the Divine statue, I was angry. Because I didn't need the heal at all. Lv.5 Orwyn was missing 13 HP and his teammate only 1 HP from a tackle and I had full mana anyway.
Also, the Air strike is OP. When I got it, killing armadillos was simple. I damaged one with Rush, then I attacked the second one with Air strike. The Air strike damaged the armadillo with full health and dealt 50% damage to the nearly dead one... And next turn just a simple finish off.
Then I don't like the AI. They tend to regenerate mana or hp when they know they will die next turn... Definitely not the best choice to do.
And last but not least, the Double strike shouldn't cost 10 SP when Rash costs 8. The damage difference isn't that great and Rash as a bonus has a chance to drop enemy's speed.

But I agree with the rest, it definitely has potential. I just don't agree with the nearly flawless thingie :)
Although I was very surprised that there were no real bugs apart from that graphical one.

Last edited:

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Poryg
First of all, thank you so much for your detailed feedback! I needed to see that, and I love nitpicky things. I won't always agree with them, but I'll at least explain why things are the way they are.

The graphics look pretty nice and unique, pretty much nothing to say about them. In the woods though, there is a graphical bug when an armadillo tries to go through the log from the side.
This is a known bug due to the height of all my sprites. I'm in need of a plugin that fixes Large Sprite issues. There's a couple floating around out there, but they're pretty buggy and don't really accomplish what I need. I may have to commission one.

Your language is pretty neat and I was fairly surprised by that. I've been able to notice several grammar mistakes. Nothing too grave though and something needs advanced English to be visible. However, if you're interested in correction, feel free to send me a PM.
"Several"? Yeah, I definitely want to know about those. I, and many others thought the game was grammatically sound for the most part. Feel free to send a PM if you ever have the time. I'd really appreciate it.

I liked the Options menu description. It was really well made. However, you should put somewhere advice to turn off autodashing in the Danger locations. Because this is one of the few games where it needs to be turned off due to the limited stamina and ambushing.
Agreed, I'll have that done in the completed demo.

Which reminds me, the ambushing is kind of weird. The tutorial says that if you attack them when they can't see you, you'll have the advantage. I noticed though that it isn't 100%, that the advantage is only like in 50% of the cases. I think that the tutorial describes it as "you will have the advantage and strike before anyone can strike", which gives the impression of 100% chance (if it doesn't, sorry, my mistake). But in fact, I was once ambushed even though I attacked from the front :D
The tutorial doesn't say that. In fact, it specifically says:

You can also surprise the enemy by engaging them from their sides, or the rear. You won't always surprise them this way, but if you successfully surprise the enemy, then your party will act first before any of the enemies can take their turn in battle.

So I think I've set the proper expectation with that. With regards to surprise encounters not triggering 100% of the time, that's done intentionally. Specifically, you have an 80% chance of surprising the enemy from behind, and a 50% chance of surprising the enemy from the sides. I think setting these to 100% is a little too much. At least, that's what the Beta testers and I concluded.

1. When you have to kill those two soldiers before you can go to the leader of the "rebellion", you cannot just go through the paths of fighting soldiers. I understand why it is this way, but it was weird. At least put there a collision event that says "We can't get caught up in fighting these" or stuff like that, because just standing there is seriously awkward.
I actually had an event trigger just as you suggested, but I decided not to include a message because it seemed to be more annoying to have the game stop with a message. I'm not sure if I'll change this, to be honest.

And then when you say "I'm not ready yet" to the guy at the west gate, before you can move again, there is a veeeeeery long pause. A short pause here is enough, long one is just annoying.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look at that.

I hope the music is just a temporary demo choice, because it doesn't fit there at all.
I respect your opinion, but there are a LOT of people who disagree with you. The music was initially meant to be a temporary choice until I purchase other pieces of music that fit. But I'm not sure what I'll do yet.

The one thing that I have to say I hated was the battle system and the level curve.
I liked the offer of the battle hints. However, I let them be turned off, because during playtesting I want to explore things by myself, completely unbiased by shenanigans. As it turns out, I didn't need them at all. I didn't even buy any equips, because I didn't want to waste my precious 20 gold.
So you hated the battle system, but declined the option to learn about the specifics? Not sure how I feel about that. The battle hints are there to ensure you get the most out of the battle system while preparing for future enemies. I get why you declined the option, but there may have been some valuable hints that were missed. They're pretty detailed.

The battle system is fairly simple and that's nothing against it. A command to refill mp, a command to refill sp, spells and skills... These are all fine. But when I realized the stamina points refill after every battle (took me three battles), suddenly I realized the game balance was broken. After the third fight I had to heal Orwyn (or how he is called - I'm terrible with names), because he had died in battle with armadillos. But from that point I began (ab)using the SP and I suddenly pulled through the fights mostly undamaged or with minor damage when RNG screwed me over or I wasn't having the advantage (I only healed when I was lv 4 and not because I needed it, both heroes still had over 20 HP, but because there was this infinite source of mana).
This is intended, to some degree. This game isn't supposed to be difficult to start, especially when you use proper strategy. The goal here is to reward those who play the game strategically. You seemed to breeze through the first part of the game after finding out what could be abused, which is EXACTLY what I want. Who's to say I won't create enemies, bosses, and puzzle mechanics that make SP management more difficult in battles and on the map? With that said, I still plan to make a few tweaks to the SP/MP costs and mechanics for proper balancing.

As I reached level 4, I was already pretty untouchable (turtle gave me 1-3 damage when it did, I was one shotting bats and two shotting the imp)...
Again, this is my intention. As you level up, the battles should get easier. I don't see anything wrong with that. The difficulty curve isn't supposed to be steep in the beginning.

And suddenly I got the idea that instead of just wasting the precious turns in battle I could use them to heal my mana and with it of course my HP. Because not only their damage was very low (I was only "annoyed" by bats' blood drain, which hit me for 11 damage), but also when you one shot bats, there are two bats against you and you have the advantage, Orwyn (or how is he called) can freely use the first turn to heal 1 MP. His teammate kills one bat, he kills the second one before the bats can move... And that's it.
That's very good feedback. The issue seems to be with healing, which obviously restores too much HP to the point where the effect of attrition is minimized in battle.

Also, the Air strike is OP. When I got it, killing armadillos was simple. I damaged one with Rush, then I attacked the second one with Air strike. The Air strike damaged the armadillo with full health and dealt 50% damage to the nearly dead one... And next turn just a simple finish off.
Air Strike is only OP because you're at Level 4 in an area that you're supposed to have moved on from. I think you have the expectation of my game being longer than what I plan to make it. I originally stated this game is going to be small. The duration of the game doesn't really allow me to create a more gradual difficulty curve. I'm not saying that you'll be able to power through all the areas with only a few level ups, but I do intend to make it so that grinding doesn't take much time.

Then I don't like the AI. They tend to regenerate mana or hp when they know they will die next turn... Definitely not the best choice to do.
Good point. I'll fix that.

And last but not least, the Double strike shouldn't cost 10 SP when Rash costs 8. The damage difference isn't that great and Rash as a bonus has a chance to drop enemy's speed.
Another good point. That'll be fixed.

N30Npixel

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey Neo! Just wondering about the battler sprites. I am also using Time Fantasy and was wondering if you made those yourself or how if you can lead me in the right direction on how I can get them commissioned? Thanks a bunch and this project just looks amazing.

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey Neo! Just wondering about the battler sprites. I am also using Time Fantasy and was wondering if you made those yourself or how if you can lead me in the right direction on how I can get them commissioned? Thanks a bunch and this project just looks amazing.
Look at them carefully... They're just standard sprites arranged into SV battle sprite sheets. That's it. :guffaw::guffaw: The only problem with this is it can be pretty tedious to make them.

Open an image editor, and copy and paste the frames you want into the right order of a SV battle sprite sheet. Here's a template: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/rpg-maker-mv-templates-and-guideline.46839/

Glad you enjoyed the demo!

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
A little progress update:

I've finally hit a "wall", which is something I expected to happen. I believe it's because I've included a few too many features in my game. And the problem isn't so much with the features themselves, it's how I made them. I can't make a plugin to save my life, so a few of my game's features are based on complex events, workarounds, and plugin combinations. The end result is always satisfying, but building a game on intricate systems created a LOT of problems for me as I got to the later stages of development.

Bottom line, I need to remove the "bloat" and re-tool. I think this will be much easier to do now that I've received a good amount of feedback.

The question is... How will I do this? Do I start from scratch and rebuild? Or do I just "trim the fat" from the existing project? I haven't decided. Part of me wants to start a Dev Blog, which means starting from scratch makes sense.

Anyway, it's too much to think about now. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for all your support!

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This saddens me. Sometimes starting from scratch is needed... I've done it twice now but it is never a good thing. Good news though is you can always transfer the maps so you save yourself some work. I've changed art directions both times!

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Arcmagik

Totally agreed. It's more about cleaning up the events and the database. The resources will stay the same, and the mapping will most likely have a lot more detail.

The other positive thing about this is that with the release of Moghunter's new plugin, I'll be able to great a game with puzzle mechanics similar to the Lufia series. This is something I've always wanted. So motivation won't be a problem. I think I can get to work on it pretty fast.

MMChristina

Freelancer Artist and Pixel Artist.
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Great Game, I watched this on Driftwood Gaming and I was Suprised by the Quality of this game (which are rare on RPG Maker games). I Hardly find any fault in this game, But I wish you could find someone willing to compose music for this game, I heard some familiar music such as FF music. It's kinda sad with this Quality game you are using Copyrighted Music, I'm afraid it will have Copyright issue if you planning to go commercial, (Which you should!), But I might be wrong... CMIIW. :D Can't wait to play the full version of this game. :D
Great job Anyway!

Last edited:

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@MMChristina

Thank you so much!

As far as the music goes, there's actually no FF music in the game. All the music is from RMXP, which I can technically use in a commercial game since I've purchased it. However, I don't plan to use it in the final release.

The problem is... I'm having a VERY hard time finding good music that's suitable for my game. If you come across anything, please let me know. I'd be more than willing to pay for the licensing of some good music.

Glad you enjoyed the demo!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I usually don't enjoy survival games, but I absolutely love Conan Exiles.
Basically Everyone: Dont make a long game the first time. Me: I guess i'll make a REALLY long game in that case >:p
I've developed a habit of thanking cleaning ladies for their work.
Sorry Aerith... I will abandon your shoes... :guffaw:
Spent a whole bunch of time today reworking the area in the video because someone said it was too illusory. So I reworked it so it changes less, moved the grass up to the same level as the player.... And found enough extra resources to make the grass moves when the player touches it. Also lots more water, because it looks amazing. I'll probably put up a short updated video later today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nktn18