Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I just finished the demo and have to say I like your game, I was a little bit dissapointed when it was over.^^
Reason to download was the time fantasy style and you really did a good job with it, also i like your worldmap and that you made the characters on it smaller.
And I enjoyed grinding in the forest to Lvl 5 before more exploration, I love to train my characters.
Was your city inspired by Gregminster of Suikoden I? It reminded me of it a little bit.

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Mieze

Thank you!

@Lornsteyn

You nailed it! The city was 100% inspired by Gregminister. Glad you picked that up. :)

UPDATE:

The puzzle mechanics that I plan to implement are pretty much all tested and working properly, with the exception of one. I'm actually quite proud of how efficiently these mechanics work. I'm only looking at few lines of commands per event and no paralell processing. Very happy about that. A big thanks goes to Galv, Moghunter, and Yanfly for their plugins to help streamline this process.

I can now say with confidence that my game will feature puzzles that function very similar to Lufia 2 and Zelda. Pushing blocks/statues, lifting and placing objects, cutting bushes, breaking boxes, shooting arrows, using bombs to destory obstacles and fine secret passages, a hookshot to move onto different platforms... It's all in place, and I'm psyched!

I've also decided to change the resolution from 1280X720 to 1440x768. This helped a LOT with scaling for pixel art. Unfortunately, this means that I have to remake all my battle backgrounds and panoramic scenes. No big deal though. It's a small change but it should help with making the sprites appear less zoomed in.

Lastly, I've settled on a battle system mechanic that's much less complex but still calls for a bit of strategy to really get the hang of. I'll also be changing up my GUI to to something more minimalist to stay true to the classic RPG era.

Stay tuned for more updates as I go!

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Finally, a legitimate reason to update this thread! I'm happy to announce that my Demo is complete, and I'll be uploading it as soon as I can. Quality assurance is important to me, so I'd like to wait until I've had a few people test it before I make the link public.

I've also updated the OP with some new screenshots/GIFs, and a modified feature list to reflect what's currently in the game. Let's hope this game still has some fans left! Stay tuned!

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not sure how I feel about the recasting of the main hero, but I can't wait for the demo! I still play the original one lol.

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You should list Wild Arms as an inspiration with the tools. Anyways, looking forward to this project's development.

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Arcmagik Yeah. I had my doubts, but I thought it was necessary due to the fact that another game is also using that same sprite as the main hero. Figured I'd switch it up.

@BloodletterQ I know what you're saying. I'm sure there are a lot of games that can go on that list when it comes to ideas that are being used. The key word is "inspiration" though. I can't be inspired by a game I've never played. Although you've just given me some motivation to watch a some gameplay, so I might check it out some time. Thanks for the suggestion!

Annnd the Demo is now available! Link is in the OP.

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I think the new hero sprite looks better.^^

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Lornsteyn It didn't take long for him to grow on me. So I'm happy with the choice of character.

Also, new update with a few bug fixes and some changes to the battle mechanics for better balancing. Ratings and comments on itch.io are greatly appreciated!

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The new sprite for the main character has grown on me. I got to the forest again... and I don't know if I ran into a bug or my computer did something but the game just shut off on me. It looked good so far!

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Arcmagik

Thanks for giving it another shot. Turns out that there was a serious memory leak caused by one of SRD's plugins (Specifically the Game Upgrade plugin). It took a while to find the culprit, but I'm pretty confident that the crashing issue has been solved. A new version of the demo has been uploaded with the fix, along with a few corrections for typos and some other things to help with game balancing. Unfortunately, the save files from the previous version can't be transferred. It has to be a new game.

Thanks for the support!

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Neo Soul Gamer I'll grab the new one and play it this weekend. Before that... I reached the part after you get the Guild Bow. Everytime I talk to the guy outside of where you use it for the first time... The game completely locks as if the event is supposed to doing something else that it can't do.

Can

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
KOREAN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm getting an error at the first save point... I saved the game, and when I came back to load it, this is the message I get... Do I have to start all over again??

Attachments

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Can
I managed to replicate the error and fix it. A new version has been uploaded. You should be able to just move the "save" folder over and load the game from there. Feel free to PM me if you have any issues. I'll reply as quickly as I can. I'm curious as to whether or not this works. (It worked for me)

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Just a couple of things to mention.

First off...

We have a quick overview of my game from the UnproPro where he talks about a few of the features and the things he enjoys about the game. It was great to get this kind of support from a well respected member of the RPG Maker community. He's been producing content at a steady rate on his YouTube channel after a long period of inactivity. So it's nice to see him back on the grind.

As far as game development goes... It hasn't slowed down, but I'm starting to think that I bit off more than I can chew with this. There's a specific standard that I've held myself to, and so I find myself going over very small details that some people may not even notice. As a result, I'm thinking my original target of a spring release is a little too ambitious. I'm still going to aim for it, but I'm certainly not going to rush to a point where quality is sacrificed.

I'll keep everyone posted with updates as I go.

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Just made a significant update to the demo. A couple of LPers made some great points about my characters and NPCs being "forgettable". So I ended up re-writing almost the entire script to create dialogue that shows a broader range of personalities and emotion between characters. Most NPCs will now have a more personal story to tell, which I've set up to have multiple layers so that the player can get updates to those stories as they get further into the game. I've also trimmed the fat off a few cutscenes by getting rid of redundant and unnecessary dialogue.

This comes along with other changes as well:
  • Gems can now be attached through the Equip Menu instead of only the Item Menu.
  • Weapons, Armors, and other Accessories now have passive abilities that can be acquired.
  • Battle Hints have been modified to reflect new mechanics placed in the game.
  • More typo fixes.
  • Coding optimizations for less lag and future updates (experimental).
  • A new mechanic has been implemented to prevent players from exploiting "Escape" in battle.
  • A Combo Skill has been given to Oswyn and Ziedrick to use in the prologue.
  • The Adrenaline Gauge is now shown in the main menu.
  • Fixed a serious bug with puzzle objects not remaining in the same position when leaving and returning to their respective maps.
  • World Map random encounters can now be avoided by staying on the main road.
  • Removed "Retry Battle" feature due to bugs and conflicts with on-map enemies.
  • Slight tweaks have been made to some monster groups and individual enemies for better balancing.

There are many more changes, but the ones I've listed are the most notable. I'm happy to say that development is still going at a steady pace. :)

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Back with another update.
  • Keyboard Configuration option now available. This should have been provided in the initial release, but I had some difficulties with adding more buttons and coming up with keyboard layouts that would work.
  • Several sprite changes including a new sprite for Bayard, and a variety of male and female soliders with different skin tones.
  • A few changes to the Task Log to provide better guidance.
  • A few tweaks to skills for better balancing.
After this update, I think it's safe to take a step back from the RM side of things and focus on my story a bit more. I had to remind myself that I wanted this game to be short. So I think it may be time to make some revisions to the story and maybe trim it down a bit.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll check this out again soon. Just remember to tell the story that you want to tell!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

• Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Is it okay to hug a tree? :/
    The new intro Logo for my videos.

I speed it up, the one I use to use was to long.
    The workweek is now over. Now I can work on my GamZzzzzZzzzzZzzzZzzZz....
    Just watched Onward with the family. One of the best movies I've ever seen. <3

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Illuminachos