First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Platform: RPG Maker VXAce

Genre and Flavors: JRPG, Fantasy, Dark

Download Here:

With RTP: https://rpgmaker.net/games/7096/downloads/6440/

Game Synopsis

Distant members of the royal family are calmly living their lives, scattered throughout the Kingdom of Laurentide. Some are scientists, while others are simple merchants and craftsmen. In the middle of the night, six seemingly random members of the family are kidnapped from around the kingdom in a coordinated effort stretching from the southern tribal lands to the northern ice islands.

After members of the royal family are kidnapped, all evidence points to the Moranthian kingdom. Moranthia, a nearby kingdom to the east, has always had an antagonistic relationship with Laurentide, but economic dependency on one another has kept war at bay. A defector from the Moranthian royal guard provided intelligence as to the whereabouts of the kidnapped royal family members: in Moranthia Castle's prison, held by Prince Crendathien and his wife, Duchess Talutah.

This act of war exceeds all previous actions taken by Moranthia in scope and in cruelty. But why? What plans do the Prince and the Duchess have for the captives? And were the six people taken not random at all?

At Last Alone: Rescue at Moranthia tells the story of Shatter Team Alpha, the top special forces team in the Laurentide ground forces and their mission to rescue the kidnapped royal family members. Led by Calista Strelley and her companion direwolf, Georgie, Shatter Team Alpha also includes Garrard Dwirisa. Strelley and Dwirisa have been partners for years. They are joined by a new archer, Samarah Kessie, who was recently promoted from the ranks of the ground troops.

Take command of the Shatter Team and infiltrate the castle! But watch out, Moranthian troops, royal bodyguards, and mercenary assassins are on guard and will rush you the instant they see you!

Characters

Capt. Calista "Cal" Strelley

A veteran warrior and leader of the primary Shatter Team.

Lt. Garrard Dwirisa

The strike force's second-in-command and longtime battle partner of Cal.

Lt. Samarah Kessie

The archer of the strike force and a newer member of the Shatter Team.

Georgie the direwolf

Cal's battle-hardened direwolf. Obedient and loyal.

Prince Crendathien

Prince of the Moranthian kingdom and alleged kidnapper of the royal family.

Dutchess Talutah

Wife of Prince Crendathien and dabbler in the dark arts.

Screenshots

Features

- Relatively short (1 hour) game

- Timed button-press battle system

- No magic. Come on, magic isn't real... Right?

- Two classic-type puzzles

- Dramatic ending with after-credits scene

- Totally overpowered direwolf so it won't die and my wife won't be mad at me for making a game where a wolf dies

Note:

This is my first RPGMaker game. Everyone's recommendation for someone starting is, "Start small," and that's what this is. This game started as a demo for a much larger concept but eventually bloomed into a full-enough story that I thought it could stand on it's own, although it is meant to be the first chapter of a series. I uploaded this first on rpgmaker.net and it got some pretty positive reviews. So there will likely be a second chapter!

Last edited:

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Congrats!

PS: The code for "hiding" is spoiler not hide. :)

Fanatik007

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
both links are dead can u re upload pls, looks interesting btw

djbeardo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
both links are dead can u re upload pls, looks interesting btw
Sorry! I made a small update and re-uploading it killed the links. It's all fixed now.

watermark

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, good job! Here's my review of your game for the "Let's Review Games!" community event.

Review Link

It's just my opinion and comments, don't take it too seriously.  :guffaw:

djbeardo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks! I think this is a really even review and i love the custom review graphic you made! "Supremely overpowered direwolf" - lol! Thanks again for playing! :D

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Streamed some of this a while ago. I had...quite a few issues with it. Overall it feels like a solid game is there, but buried under a lot of poor design decisions that definitely hamper the experience, a lot having to do with how to handle the "introduction" period.

(summarized review starts at 18 minutes or so)

djbeardo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
"For the love of God, take away some of the skills."

:guffaw:   

Thanks for taking time out and playing part of the game! Also, thanks for your thoughtful review. You've echoed a number of other people in terms of their criticisms, and I will definitely take those into consideration as I work on my next game.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Heya. Played a bit of the game and have some feedback I'd like to share.

It's impressive for your first game, that's for sure. Though some "first game features" do appear. Like I noticed windowskin is default and many of the menu sounds are unchanged too. Not a biggie though. For the window colour it would've been nice if it was darker though, otherwise it's a bit hard to read white text against it.

The intro was not bad. Though a granny is leading an army? I find that a bit hard to believe. Lol. And then the leader of playable team looks like the youngest of the bunch. She also doesn't look much like a paladin to me, but oh well, never mind. I won't nitpick this too much. At least we get to have a wolf in the party and that's cool.

I came across a tall sprite clipping error. One of the bonfire appeared above my head when I walked next to it, even though it should be below.

I am quite confused. Why did we have to enter that enormous building and fight so many enemies in it? Also, I didn't find any place to buy items from. I only had 1 full potion on me and only managed to find 1 hi-potion in the building. Doesn't seem like enough healing items. Not that enemies are hard or anything, but still, it's nicer when you have some reserves. At the very least the occassional dialogue between characters was all right and added some flavour to the game.

Battles. Hmm. The timing mini-game mechanic is nice. I've seen it used before in other RM games, but is is quite fun to a degree. My main problem though, there are too many enemy encounters in this building, and they're all the same pretty much. Every enemy encounter feels the same when I fight it, since they only just attack. At times you get an odd one that attacks twice. It's just very repetitive, because most enemies run towards me when they see me, so I couldn't avoid them.

The balancing could use some work too. All the double attacks were the cheapest skills around and yet they're technically the best, because you get to attack twice and deal 2x the damage. Eventually I stopped bothering with all the other skills and only kept using dual/double attack with every character since it killed the enemies off much faster than bothering to inflict statuses or debuffs, and even more so than spending the time to buff your party (I've not used that all from the section I've played).

I also noticed there are a lot of skill categories, and the naming is a bit confusing. At first I thought 'Fall Back' was the same as 'Escape', but then noticed that it had healing and curing skills. Too bad they use TP though. Can't use them outside of battles. Also, why have so many categories for skills? How do 'Power Move' skills differ from 'Close Quarters' skills for example? Just seems the player will constantly be looking around for the skill they want to use.

Among the gear I've found, most gear kept fitting Cal and Gerrard. Samarah and Georgie only got like 1 piece of gear each.

Is there much point to skills targeting all enemies? Nearly every battle has you fight just one enemy. The only battle that wasn't were the two guards in an outside area.

That's about as much as I've played. Unfortunately I was still stuck in that building since I couldn't get past the metallic door that supposedly leads to the castle. I tried flipping all the switches on every floor several times, but nothing. It would really help if flipping the switch gave me some kind of cue as to what it did. A sound effect of a door opening or character dialogue saying that it's on or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

djbeardo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Matseb2611: Thanks so much for taking some time out to play my game and for your feedback! I so wish I could fix the windowskins, but I'm afraid that my scripting knowledge is not fantastic. I ended up getting LuneEngine but quickly realized that I was biting off way more than I can chew.

I definitely hear you about the battles and skills. That seems to be the most consistent critique from players and, admittedly, the part of the development I had the hardest time with. I wanted to show the player that these people were battle-hardened (lots of skills!) and that the castle was defended properly (lots of enemies!) but it didn't come across real well. I also wanted to keep the enemies based in reality. Which limited my troop set. That's getting balanced out better for the next game, for sure.

It sounds like you made it about 1/2 through before calling it quits, which is great! The door puzzle (for which there is a hint on the wall) is that only 3 switches have to be flipped out of 4 for it to work. Any 3 will do. Just a tricky puzzle, I guess. I like your suggestion about adding dialogue about it. If you can get past that first puzzle, there are more dialogues/characterizations and additional items for the Sammie and Georgie.

Small tip: Georgie can heal the team outside of battle. Just snuggle for the TP buff and heal away. Some people think that's kinda "broken", but since there's no inn or store for healing items, and no magic, it had to be done.

Thanks again for playing the game! :D

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, I see. Yeah, I wouldn't have guessed about flipping only 3 switches. At first I thought there were only 3, and that's what the puzzle was referring to. Then I realised there were 4 and got confused. In that case I will continue on and see what the second half is like.

In regard to enemies, I'd personally recommend to have fewer encounters, but to have 2 or 3 enemies per encounter. That way it still gives the feel of the castle being heavily defended.

In regard to windowskin, I meant the windowskin graphic. It's possible to change it without scripts. I know there are some custom-made ones available for free here on the forums (I personally have made a few for December's ReStaff release). If you've found and picked one you want to use, you just copy and paste it into the game project's 'Graphics/System' folder and rename the windowskin file to 'Window'. This will change the window graphic. Luna Engine does something more. It changes the UI entirely, and admittedly it can be tricky to grasp for non-scripters (I've struggled with it too in fact).

Thanks for the tips on healing and puzzle. I'll let you know if I have more feedback in the next part of the game.

abe109

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Are you joking? I was not allowed to save before first boss and then I get perma stunned for the whole battle duration only to see a gameover screen.

F- ... not interested in replay value after that.

djbeardo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@abe109: Oh no! Sorry she got you so badly! Thanks for playing the game that far, though! I'll have to work on the balancing, since one of the most consistent comments is that the boss is too easy.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've finished your game and have to say that I'm quite impressed that it is your first game.

I don't have much more to say that hasn't been said already. (Feeling a little lost at first, too many enemies and skills and so on).

I had no difficulty in my combats, even though I'm not a fan of combat games. No one died, I used no potion. Just using Sam as a healer was enough.

The worst case I had was during the last boss fight where my party was at half their lives, quickly recovered.

The level puzzle, I got through by luck since I read the plaque before activating the fourth lever, thus opening the door on my first try. There is an area that I didn't find the entrance to (same level as where you use the rope ladder), but I've got to admit that I didn't completely explore the area as it was often very slow on my old computer, under 10 fps.

I suspect you're planning on doing a sequel, considering the post-credit scene? That might be interesting, especially since there are still some untold stories about Cal, for example.

In any case, good job! I like your game.

djbeardo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've finished your game and have to say that I'm quite impressed that it is your first game.
Thanks so much for playing!! Yeah, the lighting script tends to make things lag. :/ But I'm glad you enjoyed it otherwise! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

okay, i experimented with some more fonts, let me know if theyre easier to read and if you have a preference!

Hiatus; Still doing my best to get employed. :hwink:
Finally took the plunge and got myself MV. Time for some productivity!
Not more Goblins but variations of the Irish Merrow this time...

Okay so now you can prepend a JS library to your Haxe plugin. You can also prepend your attribution information to every compiled plugin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slatlift