Attack Does No Damage

VenomStitches

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Played around with everything different animations, formulas, hit type, different paramaters, etc

The animation of the "Spider Bite" attack plays where i want it on screen but nothing happens not even damage effects.

Spider.jpg

Ina00

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVX
maybe the formula is wrong...

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
is this specific to just 1 enemy using the skill?
is it the same no matter who/what uses it?
is it something else wrong with that enemy in the database?

Ina00

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVX
try to add before the formula the damage value.
like 100 (or another value) + a.atk....

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
guarantied minimum damage would be at the end of the formula.
a.atk*4 - b.def*2 + X
if X was at the beginning it would just be added to the a.atk,
X at the end gets added after the atk vs def is calculated.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
please show us a screenshot of which enemy uses this attack and one possible target actor.

there are several things on the enemy/actor that can affect the skill, and we need those values to even guess what's happening.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
1) Try changing the Formula to 50. Just the number 50, no math. Save your project, then battle test. If that works properly, it was either a problem with your formula (seems unlikely based on your screenshot), or it was working properly but the respective ATK and DEF stats made it evaluate to a negative amount so 0 damage is inflicted.

2) Leave the Formula at 50 and change the Hit Type to "Certain Hit". Save, then test. If that works properly, the enemy probably has some kind of feature or state that reduces the physical or magical damage rates of incoming damage to zero. You can find this on the Enemies tab.

3) Leave it as 50 and Certain Hit. Go to your plugin manager and turn OFF all plugins in your project. Save, then test. If that works properly, one of your plugins (or an incompatibility between them, or the way you are using them) is causing the damage to be evaluated improperly. You can narrow it down by turning off just one plugin at a time and seeing whether the game runs but you get 0 damage - that is your culprit (or at least one of your culprits).

Cyberhawk

Bravelion Leader
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You need to either raise the caster attack value or lower the target's defense value.
That or increase the multiplier.
a.atk *4 - b.def * 2 is a p generic dmg formula.

VenomStitches

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You need to either raise the caster attack value or lower the target's defense value.
That or increase the multiplier.
a.atk *4 - b.def * 2 is a p generic dmg formula.
the generic formula was just to see if it would work with another formula taken from another skill.

Ok so for some reason it's working seems that it may have been the custom animation i was using and i also did what Tiamat-86 suggest and added a "+ X" value at the end of the formula.

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok so for some reason it's working seems that it may have been the custom animation i was using
Try the custom animation again because animation and damage calculation are completely separate and independant, you can make your skill look like a puny slap and do millions of damage so what animation is displaying should not affect damage calculations.

Also manually do the math and check how much the damage should be since adding the +X at the end of the formula "fixed it" for you, which means that the "-def*Y" part of the formula yields a higher number than the monster's attack resulting in 0 or lower.

I have no idea ifthis affects anything but change skill ocassion from "always" to "battle" but since adding a fixed value did damage my guess is that the attack of the user is too low.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Remember the formula follows algebra rules. If it was no damage that means that 4 * your attack - 2 *enemy defense < 0. Also if you have VS plug-ins installed check your settings as the default settings on those override your formulas to make them match some other common formulas.

VenomStitches

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think it might be a plugin issue since i recently installed a few plugins and because when i go back to the custom animation and change everything around again it stops working. Even my other custom animations work but it's only "Spider Bite" specifically that doesn't work. Spider2.jpg
While the "NopreBattleAnim" says it is not supported in MZ turning it off and on doesn't fix the problem.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
off and on doesn't fix the problem.
one thing to note:
whenever you make any change on the plugins, you need to start a new playtest, because in 80% of all plugins that makes any savefiles incompatible. If you load an old savefile of a saved game instead of hitting "new game" at the game titlescreen, wrong data gets loaded that can have anything failing.

Additionally, you still haven't given the screenshots of actor and enemy I asked for above, because that can contain data that has this effect, and we need to check that as well.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Did you set the settings in Battle Core? If not it defaults to ff7 damage formula which ignores your damage formula and uses something else to run things. You *really* need to set those things and not just use the defaults.

VenomStitches

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Did you set the settings in Battle Core? If not it defaults to ff7 damage formula which ignores your damage formula and uses something else to run things. You *really* need to set those things and not just use the defaults.
I'll monkey around with it a little more I'm still new to how plugins work as I've never played around with them that much.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
would still like to see screenshot of the enemy and actor/class.

not that long ago guy was having no damage issue and was because he played around with element rates and ex/sp-params making actor and enemy almost entirely immune to multiple types of damage and states

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just finished composing a boss battle theme!
Scripted a multi-variable weather system that randomizes wind speed, cloudiness, rain, fogginess, etc, while attempting to realistically account for interactions between them (e.g. wind speed affects fogginess, cloudiness affects rain, etc), the current weather pattern, and the player's biome e.g. swamp, beach, etc. Now I "just" have to tie visuals and sounds to the variables so stuff actually happens...
I'm having a headache balancing the combat using flat defense so I'm gonna use percentual armor, in this pic, Simon has 16 on Defense which means all the incoming damage will be reduced by 16% this will ease my burden a bit.
!Have a nice day everybody¡
SO glad they patched outer worlds for switch! I can finally play it! Weird that other peeps are still having issues. I know it was really chugging on my lite when it first came out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anjing_gila