RMMV Attack that requires button presses to increase damage

DellTron

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, I might be approaching this the wrong way, but I want to make an ability that, when you use this ability, it requires you to press a certain button many times, and with however many times you press it, it increases the attack power of it. I cannot get it to work:

1. The damage is done before the event triggers
2. The button presses do not register (the timer starts, but it will not register the button presses)help1.pnghelp2.png

Can somebody help me? I have a feeling I am approaching it the wrong way. I have attached 2 screenshots showing how I am trying to approach it.

stramin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I made something similar using some SumRnDm plugins including what Soulrender says and other "older" ones

to do what you want try using also this one:

(it needs Yanfly actions sequences)

It let you store a button press counter into a variable and then use this variable to make damage

For example: this sequence input will count how many times you presses ok key while in 6 frames and store it in variable 71

<Target Action>
perform action
motion wait: user
action animation

START SEQUENCE INPUT: ok, 71
WAIT FOR SEQUENCE INPUT: 6

action effect
death break
</Target Action>

Then you can use this variable in your damage formula, for example:

1611010733611.png

--- EXTRA ---

In some test I did before, I noticed you need to add an extra waiting after taking the sequence input, if you try this and you are not able to increase the variable try adding an extra wait:

<Target Action>
perform action
motion wait: user
action animation

START SEQUENCE INPUT: ok, 71
WAIT FOR SEQUENCE INPUT: 6

wait: 6

action effect
death break
</Target Action>

DellTron

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I made something similar using some SumRnDm plugins including what Soulrender says and other "older" ones

to do what you want try using also this one:

(it needs Yanfly actions sequences)

It let you store a button press counter into a variable and then use this variable to make damage

For example: this sequence input will count how many times you presses ok key while in 6 frames and store it in variable 71

Then you can use this variable in your damage formula, for example:

View attachment 176216

--- EXTRA ---

In some test I did before, I noticed you need to add an extra waiting after taking the sequence input, if you try this and you are not able to increase the variable try adding an extra wait:
Wow, thanks! Do I need to use the YanFly battle system or can I use this independently of it, with the YanFly Action Sequences?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Plugin Requests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

The reason your evented solution did not work is that there is no loop in your common event. It sets the timer, immediately checks if it's > 1 second, which it will be, shows the message, and immediately checks if the shift button is pressed, which it won't be, and ends.[/MOVE]

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Wow, thanks! Do I need to use the YanFly battle system or can I use this independently of it, with the YanFly Action Sequences?
Yanfly's Action Sequences are introduced in Yanfly's Battle Engine Core, you'll need that plugin to use them. Action sequences allow you to specify exactly how actions are carried out in battle, e.g. run a common event before the damage is calculated/applied. Relevant links:
SRD's Seqeuence Input plugin seems perfect for what you're asking, but it's possible (albeit kind of tricky) to event something more complex if necessary. In case you're interested, I have a little example project of evented input over on the Steam Workshop (requires Steam version of RMMV):

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Maybe off topic but I am interested in this plugin, are you thinking on making a video to show how to use it?
As I said, it's all just common events and Yanfly's action sequences, no extra plugins. If you scroll down the Workshop page a bit you can find a link to a "How it works" thread where I briefly describe a few of the core principles (input loop, variable in damage formula, action sequence common event before damage).

DellTron

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yanfly's Action Sequences are introduced in Yanfly's Battle Engine Core, you'll need that plugin to use them. Action sequences allow you to specify exactly how actions are carried out in battle, e.g. run a common event before the damage is calculated/applied. Relevant links:
SRD's Seqeuence Input plugin seems perfect for what you're asking, but it's possible (albeit kind of tricky) to event something more complex if necessary. In case you're interested, I have a little example project of evented input over on the Steam Workshop (requires Steam version of RMMV):
Thanks! I tweaked it a bit and got it to work almost exactly how I want it.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I haven't been on here in forever wow(missed my forum birthday T-T). Anyways, I'm dabbling in BGMs, here's something I'm actually willing to share.

Binge-watched 6 episodes of the Erased anime... And that means I've watched half of it?! Sigh...
I'm bad at base-building games (looking at other players created an aesthetically beautiful base compared to me), but IDK why I keep playing the game and seek more of it.
Pyra and Mythra in smash ultimate are way too OP. They're basically Smash 4 Bayonetta 2.0, and not in a good way. Very toxic and unfair. At least they're hot tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skybola188