Attack Twice In One Turn (RPG Maker XP)

Discussion in 'RGSS Script Requests' started by Jotari, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Jotari

Jotari Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So something that seems pretty simple, a lot of games do it yet I can't seem to find anyone who's done a script for it. To make certain bosses more dangerous I want them to be able to take two actions every round of combat. That's it. All there is to it. One enemy, two attacks.

Reapergurl likes this.
  2. Sethorion

Sethorion Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Unless Jotari has a problem with it: Bonus points for a solution to uses an 'speed' stat. It would be nice to have an 'attack speed' stat that can affect the number of times you get to attack vs the number of times the enemy gets to attack. I would love to know how to do that.

For example: If you have an attack speed of 10 and the enemy has an attack speed of 9, you will get to attack twice on the tenth turn. I know how the math would work, but I don't know how to implement that in a battle.

3. shockra

shockra Slightly Crazy Programmer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Under the traits database, under the Other tab, there should be an option called Action Times +.  This should allow an enemy to act multiple times on the same turn.  No guarantees if this exists in XP, but if it does, that should work.

4. MobiusXVI

MobiusXVI Game Maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Jotari This is somewhat possible in the default engine. In the database under 'Troops', you can set up an event to run every turn. You can then use the 'Force Action' event with the 'Execute Now' flag to cause your boss to take an extra action each turn. If you use 'Execute in Normal Sequence', then it will just replace the normal action. With a little bit more work, you can even randomize what action happens by using a conditional branch.

@Sethorion You'll need a custom battle system to achieve that. The DBS is built around one action per person per turn. Although the word 'turn' should really be something like 'round'. My FFX-style battle system does what you're looking for by throwing away the entire 'rounds' systems and using a 'turn' to mean a single Actor/Enemy turn.

5. Reapergurl

Reapergurl Drummer Extraordinaire! xD Veteran

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @shockra The Action Times + wasn't implemented until VX.

6. Jotari

Jotari Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Huh. I was absolutely certain I tried that and it didn't work. Anyway it's still not quite what I want as it means the enemy will always outspeed the player characters regardless of their speed which means hitting twice at the start of every round. Sounds like it'd just lead to frustrating difficulty. Certainly makes my need for this script much less necessary but I'd still like to see it if possible. Would be great if it was some kind of invisible status effect that I could also apply to my own characters using rare equipment but that would probably be a lot more complex.