August Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bgillisp, Jul 30, 2018.

1. richter_h

richter_h Eh? Sweetroll? Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm not touching my game for a while due to burn-out, but still, I'm trying to get something done this week.
    There will be a lot of contents to be added into the project, and this is one of those contents.

Meet the Golem.
    [​IMG]

2. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Doing some planning for now as I cant work on the game directly due to some things in real life that needs attention :)

Vox Novus likes this.
  3. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Scenes are done! Now jumping around, reworking about a half of the skill system. I call this echo-system, pun (not) intended.
    [​IMG]
    Echo is basically an additional damage bonus, and it can be in different element (easy way to mix two or more different elements).
    Previously it wasn't stackable which renders some of skills useless. Now it's stackable with many sources of echo, (buff, self buff, mark on target, or field effect). This will be going through balancing hell though.

4. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Progress Report #2

Immortal Sins:
    -Northbridge is fully functional with MV.
    -Fixing some bugs in the game.

Vox Novus likes this.
  5. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Now that I got some time off of work (10 days) and have caught up on sleep (slept 11 hours last night) back to game development.

8.10 Update:
    -Tweaked balance of the endgame of The Book of Shadows a little. Mainly I made the ultimate weapons a little less OP, then nerfed the bosses HP to make up for the reduced stats of the ultimate weapons. Should prevent the problem I was running into of grab the ultimate weapons then do 9999 damage to the bosses every time, and initial testing of it shows it does indeed do what I wanted.

Vox Novus likes this.
  6. richter_h

richter_h Eh? Sweetroll? Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The golem is now officially included into the game, and it has its own hard-hitting moveset.

Did I mention the golem can shoot laser beams before?
    [​IMG]

Also yeah, those are the characters whom will make an appearance in the second arc.

7. TheoAllen

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    New game balance seems to be working better than before, no regret scrapping almost a half of system I've made in the past.

Vox Novus, Marquise* and Rabosion like this.
  8. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    @Theo - lezz make an echo that causes an echo that causes another echo *continue until tired* XD

Progress is going nicely

-adjusted some early scenes due some text problems I've noticed
    -added some recovery after story fights and time gaps
    -added a rest option on the base camp
    -made my shops have conditional items so they add new items depending on story progression
    -added more guidebook entries
    -balancing money drop of enemies since it feels so small right now

Vox Novus and Rabosion like this.
  9. TheoAllen

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Engr. Adiktuzmiko this is the longest echo damage so far that u could manage in my game, but getting at this point is really hard without dying :p
    [​IMG]
    Current progress, reworking menu. So far looking good
    [​IMG]

10. Rabosion

Rabosion Retro Pixlr Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @TheoAllen : that animation looks entertainingly awesome.

@richter_h : stellar progress on the golem and battles

My progress in my resource thread went much smoother then expected. Instead of the expected 100 icons, I ended up making more then double that amount. It was a stressful but satisfying week for sure.:kaojoy:

Vox Novus likes this.
  11. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Sorry guys my mortal enemies have returned ... that means... ugh a lotta halts. -_-

Vox Novus likes this.
  12. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    @TheoAllen - that is an AWESOME skill, I like the way the animation was done too, simple yet effective

Currently modfying the shop scene to give more information regarding parameter comparison. Since the window is pretty small, Im just gonna make em switch "pages" to view the comparison for other actors.

PS: Somehow I cant upload the image here, it always fail.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Vox Novus and Rabosion like this.
  13. TheoAllen

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Final design of the skill menu.

[​IMG]

14. Markus I.

Markus I. Master of None Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I plan on finishing a technical demo of my project including just the first chapter, sadly I don't intend to release it publicly yet, I'll send to a couple of friends that simply LOVE to give nitpicking yet constructive feedbacks.

Vox Novus likes this.
  15. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @TheoAllen that skill menu is... :thumbsup-right:. The level up system is giving me some nostalgia.
    All right, so I don't think I even posted my goals here as of yet, but that is OK, they basically haven't changed since last month, so let me just show the progress aspect. This menu took weeks to complete. Also, don't mind the music. I haven't put the updated versions into the game yet.

16. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Forgot to post again, here's more of an update.

8.11 - 8.13 Update:
    -Finished off the skill system update. Now it might change more in balance testing in the next game, but I now have 16 classes where it used to be 10, and there is less repetition of skills. Though, each class went down in their number of skills too as well.
    -Started the strategy guide for The Book of Shadows.

Rabosion and Vox Novus like this.
  17. bigcalsworld

bigcalsworld Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Had a productive week or so, getting most things done I wanted to do. Decided to give it a play test and... realised I really need to work on the enemy stats lol. By the time my character got to level 3, nothing in the game I've done so far could even land a blow on him, never mind do damage lol. That was as a Warrior, so I need to try and find a balance between things able to be somewhat of a threat to the Warrior while not utterly destroying the other classes. Fun times ahead! :p

Marquise* and Vox Novus like this.
  18. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Looks like I got behind again, hope I caught everybody! If not my apologies.
    @richter_h The game is looking nice! I like the portraits and sprites a lot, Is there a purpose to different colored writing on items? Stands huh? A JoJo fan are you?

@TheoAllen The intro vid looks interesting, I liked near the end how the terrain seems to change; is that part of the area or was it a one-off thing?

@Engr. Adiktuzmiko I like getting short projects done myself; you get to experiment more with different ideas and get to reflect on your sooner. More stat information in shops is always really useful by default it can be difficult to always tell which one is genuinely better.

@Dankovsky I like to come up with my main characters, beginning and ending segments first. Usually I'm unsure the exact nature of the middle sections of the story; I guess my advice is try figuring out where you want to go with your story (the ending you want to build up to) before you begin. That aside, each person sort of has there own development style that works for them so you might just need to try some things out and see what works for you. Don't be afraid to try either, development is very much a learning experience, each project you learn something new from; especially so early on.

@bigcalsworld Good luck tinkering around with your classes!

@Markus I. Your friends seem like a pretty good source for initial tests before widening the testers.

@Rabosion Wow that's a lot of icons! Happy belated birthday as well and thanks for your contributions to the community.

@AceOfAces_Mod Sounds like you've done quite the amount of hard work if you moved it over to MV.

@HexMozart88 That looks quite nice, I look forward to seeing more of the game.

@bgillisp are these changes based on feedback from your testers or just your own observations?

Haven't done too much ended up taking a bit of a break and also spent some time resource gathering for things I might use; things like generator parts, icons, sprites, etc...I'm fairly happy I guess with what I have for the first few areas so I'm going to move on to more functional elements now and start making more of the game aspects (should be okay til the third or fourth map before I need to make a few more tiles; although I haven't decided on making my own treasure chests yet). I have to make my main character as well, Harold is just a stand in yet.

Here's a little bit of everything I've made more or less on a map; its the second map of the game in actuality but the first map I finished.
    [​IMG]

Marquise*, Rabosion and HexMozart88 like this.
  19. TheoAllen

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Vox Novus since I consider it as a spoiler, so I hide them here
    The story was all about to get out of that world. It is similar to interdimensional rift from FFV, but with some twist. In the lore, that world, the shape of the surrounding keep changing. Backtracking or remembering landmark is impossible. So if you've been thrown there without a sort of guidance, you lost forever. The map transition is to show the lore.

20. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    @Vox Novus - yeah, the default shop behavior of only showing changes to ATK/DEF (it doesnt even show MATK/MDEF) is so limiting so I decided to make it show all parameters + some of the X Parameters that Im using so the player will know exactly how stronger/weaker he will be if he buys it. But now I realized I would also need to do the same for the equip scene (at least add the X Params to it) since it would be weird that X param changes are shown on the shop but not on equip scene

I made a script yesterday to add on_death/on_kill capabilities to my game just in case I will need it (probably gonna have some enemies that do on_death thingies like exploding and such). Progress has been stopped at just that coz we had a brownout.

PS: I just now also noticed that the equip scene does not show changes to Max HP and Max MP so I added that to my changes.

Now my equip scene has the following
    - Shows Max HP/MP and some X Params
    - Turned the item list to 1 column instead of 2 to accomodate the longer status window
    - Added actor graphic before the name on status window
    - Removed optimize and adjusted columns to 2 instead of 3 coz I never liked that command

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018