Part Time Super Villain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update #1 for August.

I am definitely not going to complete my ten item list this month, but I am making progress. Frankly I would be happy just being able to mark off half the items on the list.

Item 1) Complete the mechanical components of my revised character creation suite. COMPLETED.

Item 2) Complete all of new variations of my player characters images. COMPLETED.

Item 3) Retune the TP rates for my physical & hybrid skills, to account for the new balance.

Item 4) Build the enchantment system.

Item 5) Finish random loot generation system, by populating the components that will provide runes & glyphs.

Item 6) Finish shop inventory system, by setting up the inventory for my enchanters.

Item 7) Finish lore "World Map", by assigning terrain features to the remaining territorial regions.

Item 8) Rebalance my various enemies & troops.

Item 9) Continue polishing the placeholder graphics.

Item 10) Set up initial party banter system.

It took awhile, to set it all up, as I rebuilt it a couple times to be more efficient. However, my craziest character creation suite yet is finally done, mechanically speaking. Specifically the player creates their entire party of four adventurers, via choosing each of the characters respective sex, name, one of three starting armors, one of twenty four starting weapons, one of one hundred and forty five starting skills, one of one hundred & eighty starting attribute combinations, & one of forty starting images.

Why do I do this to myself?:dizzy:;_;:guffaw:

I am still trying to decide on a stylistic presentation though. As I can't determine whether to use a more neutral voice narrator, versus a more interactive comedic/sarcastic narrator. Because the length of the character creation scene, along with the gameover consequences & epilogue, all of which I intend for the same narrator to do, will heavily influence story tone. I almost tempted to leave it alone for now, & let how the tone of the story overall feels, influence my decision.

However, the problem is that each faction campaign will probably have a firaly different feel, based on the different goals & aspirations of those factions, rather than them all seeking a singular McGuffin they are all competing for. I.e. a more solemn narrator blends well with the holy militia the player can join, while the more comedic narrator would blend better with the more "mercenary" inclined factions.

I think in the end I am just going to have to write up both versions, & leave them both in place until I have everything established, & I can determine which feels more tonally consistent with the story at large.

I also used the character generator to create all of the image variations of each of my characters, forty one in total for each sex; & integrated them into my appearance component, of my playstyle eval & parameter growth system. So now each of the player characters can potentially change from their starting appearance, based on how the player uses them.

Of course their appearance is an identifying mark for their class, or determinative in what skills they can learn or anything like that. But instead just a visual representation of how they are choosing to play their characters. It's a rather subtle & largely only cosmetic mechanic granted, but I rather like it.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Vox Novus : It's just my own observations more than anything. I didn't mind the slight repetition of skills in The Book of Shadows, as you eventually had a party of 11 and only 4 fought, so sometimes having a backup with that same skill was useful. But I needed to set up the class system to work better in future games, so I took most of the 11 classes and split the skills into 2 sets, and after duplicates were deleted (or some sets were just discarded), ended up with 16 total skill sets.

8.16 Update:
Minor work on the strategy guide. Got slowed down though as I need to prep a lot of things for the start of the school term on Monday, so might not be able to post much of a game update until after 8.20 or so.

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Vox Novus , indeed. Most of it was getting replacements for anything I needed and scaling the assets as well. I did have to do some re-designs as well.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Not much progress (considering 2 days passed or so) due to busy work and boyfriend duties. xD

I added an Item Pool module and modified the drop creation for enemies to allow usage of Item Pools. Basically, item pools are arrays that contain an item and a corresponding weight. When I call a random item from an item pool, using the following call,
Code:
$itempool.get_random_item(key)
it randomizes an item from all items inside that specific pool (defined by key, I actually have a hashtable containing all item pools) using the weights (higher weight = higher chance to be picked). For enemy setup, I can set as many item pools as I want via notetags along with the chance for that item pool to actually be used via

Code:
<itempool:key,chance>
I saved the module inside a global variable because my module setup is
Code:
module ADIK
  module ITEMPOOL
  end
end
and writing ADIK::ITEMPOOL is so long haha

Thinking if I need/want to add an amount parameter to the items inside the pools so that some items can drop more than 1

Also modified my battle popups since I learned that I forgot to make the effects "Recover HP, Recover MP" to show pop ups.

Also realized that I mistook TRG (TP regen) for TCR (TP charge rate)

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Engr. Adiktuzmiko I could use that item pool idea I guess.

My progress went quite smooth. Mostly just doing animation and game balancing.
I'm still undecided to go which animation inside this spoiler

Also finished story journal. Because contents gets cut too much (might be a spoiler, might be not).
Screenshot_416.png

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I personally find them useful when needing random drops in a game and an idea that I've actually first used back when I was modding wc3.

I like the first animation coz it has the summon part which makes more sense I guess.

Ooh a story journal, thats nice and really helpful to players, I was doing something like that too on a previous game that I stopped working on..

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Finished a script to make my weapons/armors unique when you get them to allow easy manipulation in-game while still taking changes made in their base items (at least changes to params and features/traits) even if I wont actually be needing/using them in the game. Talk about random ideas hahahaha

Now for game progress:
-Added a new map and built up some more tiles for use
-Created some "mini-boss" fights along the way that has some really fatal moves and still trying to balance it out so that it dont die right away if you fight it with both characters ready with their ultimate moves (it can also come as balancing the ultimate moves themselves)

So far I seem to really need to balance out the ultimate moves as they seem too powerful right now compared to the other actions my actors can do, albeit using them is super costly

Working thru my mini boss AI made me realize how bad my default AI setup was (for my custom battle system). I built it in such a way that if my enemy has a scripted move set (read as: does anything other than attack), it should also have a custom target selection AI (to select the right target for each action) else its target selection is practically same as for basic attack (which is pick one random enemy). So I edited it to at least know how to do target selections for skills that target "all enemies" and "all allies" to save me some time from making scripted target selections for a lot of simpler enemies.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ok... so I;ve given up on character art, just too much stuff going on, so I've decided to redo one of my vxace games in MV, so I'm in the process of redoing all the maps. having a great time at the moment. I'm hoping to get all the maps redone by the end of the month so I can start on new maps in september!

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Sorry I am kinda DOWN for the month sorry... The invasion just is doing the pull on the bad direction now to be both attacked at my computer and create.

Again... sorry guys.

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Went for a vacation, got some feedbacks for my demo (which will be put in the development branch later), and made some more drawings for the project.

Meet Nella and Terra.
Could be said, these are @TheoAllen's girls drawn in my style. They'll make an appearance in the project as a cameo.

Yep, Terra is that girl with menacing [STAND], and she's the main character in Theo's current project.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sorry I am kinda DOWN for the month sorry... The invasion just is doing the pull on the bad direction now to be both attacked at my computer and create.

Again... sorry guys.
I hope you get through all this fine.

@richter_h I like your style, I wish I can make art like that

I've made the "boss scene" for chapter 2 where the third and final character to join the party makes quite an entrance. I still need to test things out a bit to ensure that the fight isnt too hard or too easy, so I think I need to play the game a bit more amd gain some levels and money to buy equipment. I'm playing it rather than giving equips or levels directly coz I also want to have an initial gauge of how long players might take when playing though ofc mine would play a bit faster vs normal people since I know my way around the game already. So far I'm 39 minutes at the beginning of chapter 2. Maybe I'll hit around 1.5 hours or so hopefully before it ends.

Most of the game would be for chapter 3 (and if I decide to add chapter 4). I dont want people to spend too much on chap 1-2 since they dont have the full party yet. Only the MC at that point has access to a certain mechanic that is also quite central to the game which is another reason.

My goal for this game would be that it takes around at least 5 hours to finish by normal people. Hopefully I can make those 5 hours worth it. :)

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
@Engr. Adiktuzmiko Me too! We kittysat Friday the fat big white cat of my SOLI and after they returned home DC started puking blood. I felt dead for a bit... SOLI got my bedbugs and DC's health down too felt like the final nail. I shouldn't get so stricken by this as DC celebrated her 15th B-day last early July and since birth she is supposed to be dead. Seems the more she age the more we grow found and worried to one another.

DarlesLSF

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Im finishing my battle system on rm2k3 (almost done) and want to start mapping and add some stuffs on database.

Edit: I lost my project, because I formatted my computer, saved the files in another hd, but idk why I lost all the settings on database and map events. So my new goal its start again my game haha
Battle system done, finally!

XIIIthHarbinger

Part Time Super Villain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update #2 for August.

I am definitely not going to complete my ten item list this month, but I am making progress. Frankly I would be happy just being able to mark off half the items on the list.

Item 1) Complete the mechanical components of my revised character creation suite. COMPLETED.

Item 2) Complete all of new variations of my player characters images. COMPLETED.

Item 3) Retune the TP rates for my physical & hybrid skills to account for the new balance, & give my skills new "prettier names" instead of the function descriptions I've been using. COMPLETED.

Item 4) Build the enchantment system.

Item 5) Finish random loot generation system, by populating the components that will provide runes & glyphs.

Item 6) Finish shop inventory system, by setting up the inventory for my enchanters.

Item 7) Finish lore "World Map", by assigning terrain features to the remaining territorial regions. W.I.P.

Item 8) Rebalance my various enemies & troops.

Item 9) Continue polishing the placeholder graphics. W.I.P.

Item 10) Set up initial party banter system.

Spent the week reworking my various skill TP consumptions rates for various skills, to offset the changes I made to armor & weapons regarding TP regen penalties, simply put the heavier your armor & weapons the slower you regain your TP. So plate armored bruisers swinging warhammers hit harder, but spend more stamina to do so, & gain it back slower; while a rogues in leather wielding dual daggers doesn't hit as hard, but can hit more times, & regains their stamina faster. I decided I liked this method better than the skill cooldown mechanics I was using.

Along with changing the traits of the variants of poison to make them feel more tactical in their applications, i.e. along with damaging health having secondary status effects, that make the "best" poison to use, very situationally dependent. & I added some "blood magic" skills to be fueled by player HP, to add an option for casters to play a more risk versus reward playstyle, rather akin to berserkers sacrificing defense for overall DPS.

Then I finally renamed all 1124 player skills to something that sounds "pretty", rather then the technical descriptions like "Warhammer single target double strike" & "Dual Short Sword Fire Damage Two Opponents" I've been using up till now. Thank you internet Thesauruses.

I am probably not going to get anywhere near my enemies & troops this month, AGAIN. Not to mention I haven't even started on the enchantment system or eventing the party chat mechanics.

For this week though, I am going to focus on two things.

First, the "Lore World Map", I think I want to turn it into a the title screen once I finish the damn thing. Maybe use an animated title plugin to rotate the image like a scrolling parallax, then overlay a "weather" image as a secondary parallax layer, either going in the opposite direction or at a different scrolling rate. Like you're seeing the world from orbit.

Second, continue working on replacing placeholder graphics. I haven't been working on face/character/battler graphics so much this month, as I have been altering the system components to add "flavor" for lack of a better word to my project. So I've replaced the fonts & the windows. But I still need to replace the "weapons1", "weapons2", "weapons3", "loading", "Damage", "Gameover", "Splash page", possibly make some alterations to "States", & most importantly update my "Iconset".

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My August update, I ain't making any progress. Joined a game jam late but making good progress. Hunger system done on it, plugins good, writing about 3/4 done, maps 30percent. I feel like this is going to be a good one

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Progress Report #3:

-Re-working the tutorial. Since the MV version's combat system works differently the old one, I need to re-write it. Trying to make it naturally integrated.
-Waiting for the nwjs team to fix the loading mechanism of binary files. 0.32.x have an issue loading them. it was acknowledged and a fix is coming soon for it. I mainly want to use the latest version so I can use the latest version of ANGLE (Chrome's WebGL renderer).

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Created a new script that disables regen effects on map (coz it makes my TP regen accessory much more OP) while allowin me to define custom map turn end effects.

But really, my TP regen accessory is so OP even at 2 TP per turn, given that turn in my battle system means each battler's turn. The more enemies there are, the more regen I get from the accessory since more turns pass before my characters next turn. Maybe I should make it cost more money.

Im testing and testing the game contents so far and adjusting as I see fit, until maybe Im satisfied with it.

EDIT:

Added the functionality for "instant actions" in my battle system. In my battle system, when you select an action, your character does it when his next turn comes. Instant actions are actions that are done right after you select them instead of the next turn. I basically added it so that I can re-apply the Guard action into the game. I removed guard before because it doesnt make sense to select guard now, but to have its effects given to you later. When I first made the system, which is for another game, I was supposed to have some guard-like commands that does way more and made sense even with the delayed effects. But after my tests in the current game, I felt like I need to have guard command/s, especially since I wont have special guard-like commands in this one anyway.

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Finished second boss of my game, at this point I could release a demo, but some other things need to be polished in order to release a demo. I'm lazy for that so let's continue a bit further.

Three more bosses remains, or maybe more if I somehow decided to put secret encounters

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Had watched someone playing my game. So many grammatical errors noted after a session which makes me consider hiring a proofreader or two some time later...

Anyway, here's the list of what I've done in a week:
  1. Noted down some plots for Arc 2. It would be as massive as I've imagined, which will be broken down into smaller bits later;
  2. Made half of Sanctuary's new area. The area is meant to be a vital site and the anchor point in the continuation of the story;
  3. Cleaned up some codes and finally managed to crack down and fix some hidden glitches;
  4. Revamped some action sequences. Some characters and monsters severely need some fresh moves; and
  5. Fixed the Male Scout's skill interaction... wait, that one is a total rework.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So I have a lighter work schedule next week. Is that a sign to move on to MZ?
I got a new rpg idea yesterday, titled "The Hero We Summoned to Save Us is a War Criminal from our Past?!"
Work on Yanfly's MZ plug-ins is coming along nicely. Looking forward to getting them: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Core_Engine_VisuStella_MZ
so uh variables can only be used for num lol? I guess I gotta fix that once MZ come out lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BM_ANDERSON