August Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bgillisp, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Still running tests for balancing purposes. I also finally learned how to make character sprites appear "in front" of the star-passability tiles on the spot above them (because it looks weird having the upper few pixels of even the default sized characters be "cut off" by star tiles above their current location)

Vox Novus likes this.
  2. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @richter_h You are getting quite a bit done and the work looks great. Spelling and grammar issues are one of those things that just seem to pop up every time you play test or watch the game. You can think you caught them all and then surprise! you notice another one while testing something else. I sometimes try to do play-tests where I carefully read all the dialogues even if I read them thoroughly already. Having other people play definitely helps.

@TheoAllen Demos can be tough calls, you want to cut them off at a point where they are getting just a little taste of the game but you also want them to get enough to be invested in it. For a game in development you want something that feels indicative of the current game state but also want to get something out for potential feedback.

@AceOfAces_Mod Good luck, hope it works out okay.

@OnslaughtSupply Completing a game jam is a good goal by any means. I hope it proves a worthwhile experience.

@XIIIthHarbinger I'm impressed by the amount of goals you always set for yourself, it seems quite daunting to accomplish. You've still gotten a good chunk done it seems.

@Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Which game is that? I've thought about remaking my first ace project in mv sometimes so I understand the sentiment.

@DarlesLSF Excellent work!

@bgillisp Oh, I see that makes sense. Did you look to any inspiration to how you are going about your strategy guide.

@Engr. Adiktuzmiko Seems you are considering the little details on your project quite carefully.

No "direct" progress this time, I've been toying around with visual stuff; made a message back and window skin. I've also been messing around and checking out different plug-ins and thinking about what I want to do for the game. I'll probably use several of yanfly's plug-ins and I think I might incorporate crafting into the game so might use a crafting plug-in (depending on how I like it or possibly event it if I don't) since I wanted to encourage the player to explore the environment of the forest they will be in. I found a menu plug-in with a layout I liked so that visual element was decided as well. Looking at plug-ins took me longer than I thought it would to get familiar with some of what was available.

Next I need to do character art so I can do the introduction and really start to get moving with gameplay; little behind on where I wanted to be by this point though.

TheoAllen and DarlesLSF like this.
  3. XIIIthHarbinger

XIIIthHarbinger Part Time Super Villain Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Vox Novus
    I find that if I set a few reasonable goals for myself during a month, that I can accomplish in a few weeks, I don't push myself as hard, & merely content myself with "Okay I finished this month's checklist."

If however, I set the bar higher than I can possibly reach, I am motivated to see how close to that "bar" I can get within a time period. Put another way, when I would run, the further ahead my competition was, the harder I would push myself.

I tend to be a rather harsh taskmaster with myself, & very critical of what I create. If I was less stringent, & been willing to accept "good enough", I honestly would have already released two games by now, & be well on my way to making a third; instead of on the version whatever number I am on at this point of my "First Game".

Which has honestly changed & evolved so much overtime, that I don't think it's remotely accurate to call it my "First Game", as nothing of the original game remains, save for RTP assets. & most of those changes were due to a rejection of the idea of "good enough".

Dust and Vox Novus like this.
  4. Dust

Dust Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @XIIIthHarbinger I know that struggle with perfectionism very well. One has to try to keep a balance between reasonable quality standards and over-the-top perfectionism, wasting weeks on details nobody will notice. It's hard.

I just entered a closed betatest for my game Numina. I ported it from RMXP to RMMV and it's finally in a sort of testable state. Parallel to fixing bugs I've been working on a new town central to the second chapter of the game:
    [​IMG]
    A busy city in which a large part of the 2nd chapter will play out. Aqueducts flow through the streets occupied by traders where there will be a lot to discover.

Marquise*, slimmmeiske2 and Vox Novus like this.
  5. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Whelp, my goals for August are completely shot. Started a game jam and Monday morning 6am my time is the cutoff. I have about 75 percent done and could crunch it in this weekend but I have an emergency trip out of town to take.D:<

Vox Novus likes this.
  6. XIIIthHarbinger

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    While I would agree that there is the possibility of going overkill with the perfectionism.

I think there is a more pronounced trend of neglecting minor elements, that people assume "nobody will notice". For example, I've lost count of the number of RPG Maker games that usual default fonts, default loading & game over screens, default window skins, & their title screen is set to Theme 6.

I can understand budget constraints limiting purchasing options, & a lack of artistic or musical talent making it hard to produce assets variety. But even in a game where you only use RTP assets, there is a great deal that you can do, if you apply a little creativity. & you don't have to be someone that can draw battlers like Tyler Warren or Katakura Hibiki, to alter your base assets, & add some "personality" to your game.

For example, I just finished replacing the default loading graphic this morning with a custom graphic. All I did was use an image of blank parchment as background, an alternate window skin to draw the frame of the image, & used an alternate font to right the loading message, after I changed the wording. All I used was gimp & a little patience.

Granted it's "just a loading screen", but it contributes to the overall feel of the game. & when combined with other minor elements I am working on this week; replaced the game font, custom "Weapons"(derived from the basic assets with slight modifications), "GameOver" (parchment image, font change, & wording change), "Iconset" (largely derived from "weapon" images, "states" images, VX Ace RTP Iconset, MV default Battlers, & Animations).

Plus an original title image created by using a "world map" built mostly from default tile assets I was using for my own lore construction notes; i.e. so I have a visual representation of the areas I am talking about, when typing entries into my word documents; that I am still filling up with terrain features this month. That I resized to the dimensions of a standard title image; then I used a transparent background gimp file the same height as a title image, but eight times larger in width; coupled with the animations from the "fog" RTP file to build various cloud layers, to simulate shifting weather patterns. Integrated both image files into Mog Hunters Title Layers plugin, & put the "world map" image on a +0.2 X scrolling, & then the "Weather" image on a -0.5 scrolling.

The end result, a scrolling image of the world complete with changing weather patterns, with all of the images used in the creation built from default assets.

Personally, I think far too many people are inclined towards simply accepting, "I did my best", when in reality it's nothing of the kind.

(shrugs) Or maybe I am just a hardass.

Vox Novus likes this.
  7. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    @Vox Novus - somehow, but more like it just always bugged me that if I step on an O tile and a star tile is on the upper tile, the few overlapping pixels at the head of my character gets "cut-off" by the upper tile. I like making things like a small table which is placed in between two tiles instead of one so that you can move in front of it while also being able to go around the back of it, and as such the lower tile is an O and the upper is a star (with 4-dir limitations ofc) and this visual behavior is just making it look so weird. My artistic skill is only at the level in which I can edit tiles and mix them up so I need to be able to utilize all these little adjustments to at least alleviate the "boxy" feel of the default stuff (or most DLC stuff that still follows the boxy tile setup anyway).

@harbinger it reminds me that I still need to make a Game Over screen for my game. xD

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Marquise* and Vox Novus like this.
  8. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Seems I missed a few days again. Will have to only do a few replies.

@Vox Novus : Kind of. My update will say more on that.

@Engr. Adiktuzmiko : You know, I've never understood why that pixel clipping with star tiles even made it into the default code for ACE or MV, as I can see no practical reason you'd ever want that to occur. I just wish someone would update the default code with a script (or plug-in) that just says "Here, no more clipping. You don't have to go terrain tag everything (like Neon Black's script requires), let's just do things the logical way for a change."

(Sorry, little bitter about how something that dumb is still in the default code after all this time, after all the head-banging I've done trying to fix it over the last 4 years. You'd think just using Neon Black's script + set it to work on terrain tag 0 would fix it for about everything where it can occur, but nope, it still occurs).

8.25 Update:
    Finally got more progress on the Strategy guide. It is now complete for the introduction area and Chapter 1 up to the first boss.

9. richter_h

richter_h Eh? Sweetroll? Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

Recently I had no time to work on the project, although I managed to make some refinements on game mechanics as well as tinkering around the battle system. Caught some bugs, made some reworks like the one shown above, and whatnot.

That means I'm not ready yet for some storymaking and such...

Well, it's the end of the month already. Time to make another devlog, I reckon.

10. DragonVine

DragonVine May or May Not be Batman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My goals are rather simple, for the most part this month. Continue to develop the demo for my game, fleshing out stuff I wanted completed when I initially started the game. I'm nearly done doing this.

I wanted to add an option for people to dive a little more into the lore through interacting with various books found within the game. I reward the player for reading them with a trophy if they read enough. None of the information in the books will be necessary for understanding the story, but it will help in giving the player a taste for the world as a whole and provide a deeper look into some of the history that lead up to it. With that being said, even then, it's not really an info dump. Most are just 1-2 message boxes, and just give enough to keep you wanting more, I think.

It's a hard balance to find, but I think I'm striking it.

Vox Novus and Marquise* like this.
  11. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    @bgillisp - Maybe they simply thought that since the default RTP tiles are boxy and almost always occupy full tiles, no one would have a problem with the clipping..

I can share the code I did for Ace but it will only work perfectly if the character is less than 2 tiles high since I only made it check the current tile and the tile above it. So if someone uses a 2-3 tile high character and you have a tile setup of 0 0/X * (from bottom to top) then it will still be clipped on the last tile

I can make it check more tiles depending on character height though if its really needed, but right now its just not needed by me so it will only add an "unnecessary" check for me

Edit: Oooh wait, I think I thought of a better way to do it. I can just make the character always be above "everything" unless the current tile is *. Why didn't I think of that before??? Imma test it later when I get home.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  12. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Seems that somehow all of my secondary goals have been met...

Now, I know this is late, maybe I can sit down, ignore being sucked dry alive, and finish the Pangofly Dragon. ugh...

BTW, all my admirations to you folks out there who can cope with the adversity of life and progress on your work.

Vox Novus likes this.
  13. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  14. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    @bgillisp

I'll do it once the tests do give me positive results :)

15. DragonVine

DragonVine May or May Not be Batman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Engr. Adiktuzmiko That sounds very helpful. I'm very interested in seeing what it practically looks like, (and if it's a plugin) looking at the code so I can learn more about it.

@richter_h I love the look of that battle system. Are you coding it from scratch? If so, I'm in awe. I wish I could learn JS well enough to do things like that. I'm seriously considering taking an actual course in JS eventually.

Vox Novus likes this.
  16. richter_h

richter_h Eh? Sweetroll? Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @DragonVine It was coded on the base Enu/Tankentai (the sideview part of it), everything else is coded from scratch. And thanks; also, credits to my friends who helped me in shaping the battle system to be like it is today.
    To date, there's no similar thing made in MV; the Row Formation plugin might be the closest thing, but it's totally different. Yeah, I encourage people to make the similar thing like I've made. I'll be glad to see one in the future...

17. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    @DragonVine - its basically just a check of the flags (properties) of the current tile the character is in (all character type objects), if it matches my check (right now its current tile isnt star and tile above is a star), the character in question needs to be drawn above the upper layer (above Z 200, so I set it to 201) instead of its default (Z 100). Take note though that this is for Ace.. iirc, MV has a different approach to Z values

Vox Novus and DragonVine like this.
  18. XIIIthHarbinger

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Update #3 for August.

Item 1) Complete the mechanical components of my revised character creation suite. COMPLETED.

Item 2) Complete all of new variations of my player characters images. COMPLETED.

Item 3) Retune the TP rates for my physical & hybrid skills to account for the new balance, & give my skills new "prettier names" instead of the function descriptions I've been using. COMPLETED.

Item 4) Build the enchantment system.

Item 5) Finish random loot generation system, by populating the components that will provide runes & glyphs.

Item 6) Finish shop inventory system, by setting up the inventory for my enchanters.

Item 7) Finish lore "World Map", by assigning terrain features to the remaining territorial regions. W.I.P.

Item 8) Rebalance my various enemies & troops.

Item 9) Continue polishing the placeholder graphics. W.I.P.

a) GameOver, Splash Page, Window, Weapons1, Weapons2, Weapons3. COMPLETED.

b) Title Screen & Iconset W.I.P.

Item 10) Set up initial party banter system.

Last week was fairly productive, set up just about everything I wanted to for the system folder, save for my improved Iconset, which I still have another six state icons, & another six hundred skill icons to finish putting together. & I added more terrain features to my "Lore World Map", & integrated the improved image file, with my title mechanics. & I did some more work with various animations, though I still have a great deal that I need to create for my weapon sequences, as well as my weapon & element combo sequences.

So the goal for the last week of august, is to finish the improved icon set, integrate the new icons into the database, & then add more terrain features to the "Lore World Map", so that I can put the improved version into the title page.

I sincerely doubt I'll get to any of the other items on my list before the month ends though.

Vox Novus and Engr. Adiktuzmiko like this.
  19. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    @bgillisp - Here are two versions of it

Take note that both of them resulted to a new glitch which happens while moving because of the fact that the engine handles graphics on a per tile (for tiles) / frame (for characters) basis while handling locations on a per-tile basis too (once you move, its all about your next location right at the first step). Because of this, when exiting star tiles with either scripts ON, your character might show "above" the star tiles immediately during movement (the instance of when this happens is different for each script). This is something we can't really circumvent perfectly without changing the drawing of the graphics into a per pixel basis to properly put each pixel to the correct Z layer (instead of the whole sprite having just a single Z value), which would cost a lot of changes and/or performance issues.

Writing this down, I think now I realize why they never tried to actually fix the clipping issue that I tried to fix here. A "simple fix" would cause a different glitch while a "perfect fix" would require a big revamp of how graphics are drawn which might also cause a lot of slowdown in processing. Given how the engine is already a bit slow, that would just make things worse.

Version 1 - works perfectly for sprites that are normal sized to about a few pixels less than 64 pixels in height (could work for higher sprites but your tile setup should be correct), but the glitch will only happen if you're moving from a star tile, into an O tile that has a star tile above it. So if you use this, it's easy to avoid the new glitch thing. I do recommend using this one.

Code:
    class Game_CharacterBase

alias screen_z_star screen_z
      def screen_z
        return screen_z_star if @priority_type != 1
        upstar = false
        nonstar = true
        #Check if tile above the character is star
        tiles = $game_map.all_tiles(@x,@y-1)
        tiles.each do |tile_id|
          flag = $game_map.tileset.flags[tile_id]
          next if tile_id == 0  #First B-Tile which is always star, skip
          if flag & 0x10 != 0
            upstar = true
          end
        end
        #Check if the tile the character is on is not a star
        tiles = $game_map.all_tiles(@x,@y)
        tiles.each do |tile_id|
          next if tile_id == 0 #First B-Tile which is always star, skip
          if flag & 0x10 != 0
            nonstar = false
          end
        end
        #If character is on a non-star tile, and the above tile is a star
        #set character z to be above star tiles so that the upper few pixels
        #of the character which overlaps to the tile above it will not be
        #"under" the tile above
        return 200 if (upstar and nonstar)
        return screen_z_star
      end

end

Version 2 - should theoretically work for any height character, but the glitch will happen every time you go from a star tile to an O tile

Code:
    class Game_CharacterBase

alias screen_z_star screen_z
      def screen_z
        return screen_z_star if @priority_type != 1
        #Check if the tile the character is on is not a star
        tiles = $game_map.all_tiles(@x,@y)
        tiles.each do |tile_id|
          next if tile_id == 0 #First B-Tile which is always star, skip
          if flag & 0x10 != 0
            return screen_z_star
          end
        end
        return 200
      end

end

Last notes:

They are not meant to work with sprites that use a larger width, so I cant guarantee that they will work with those nicely (Im almost sure they wont)

This would most probably not work if your map uses parallax mapping, unless your upper layer uses Z 200 and you still set up star tiles in your map

As for my actual progress in the game, I'm still playing it a bit and adjusting. I don't want the boss fights to be extremely preparation based but I don't want them to be too easy too.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  20. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Well, I did get five playtesters to try out my demo (which was my goal for this month). Unfortunately not all of them has filled out the feedback form which I attached. The reason I chose this goal was to get a good data pool to get feedback from so it is a bit frustrating that my goal was fullfilled but the actual reason why I chose that goal was not.

Well!

Next months goal will be more ambitious as I will have plenty of time to work on my game since I will be between jobs that month (already got another one lined up and saved money to see me through, so no worries there).