Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

August

(Pretty picture coming soon :p )

Hey guys, it's August already! Let us know how you hope to finish out the summer months of game dev and how it's going for you! My challenge for you this month is to post screenshots so we can see what awesome things you are working on!

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I can't set my goals to be too ambitious, because I have ongoing graduate coursework, but I'd nonetheless like to get a good start on my first serious MV game such as:

• Designing class skills and stat curves for the party
  • Installing appropriate plugins for my game
  • Work out some of the backstory in more detail
  • Design the main town and the first dungeon area (and maybe a boss)
  • Come up with a proper name for the game

Since I've just started, I don't have any meaningful screenshots yet.

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Thanks mlogan

No game planned, but I do have a goal.
Getting the prototype up and running at work. This includes

• Finalizing the embedded code where the basic functionality works and can be continually used
  • Create an app which is workable for the testing
  • Setting up the back-end server infrastructure for collecting data
  • For stretch goals there's adding agents for processing information and serving that information to the app

So much work, but also lots of good fun within that work :D

Edit: Oh yeah, and this months I plan not to cause any meltdowns nor burnouts,.

*hugs*

- Zeriab

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackRoseMii

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Since I've been able to get quite a few things done last month, this month will mostly be about little bits and pieces that are still left undone.

-Add new facesets/skit graphics/cutscenes into the game

-Test the gameplay once again

-Test the events once again

-Put everything together

Depending on how things will go, I'd like to practice some pixelart again. I'd love to make a game with my own graphics one day.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
August goals. Hmmm...let's see:

-Finish mapping the locations I need for the last Chapter.

-Implement a way to get to the final boss, and beat it.

-Start work on the side stuff the party is *supposed* to do before confronting the final boss (but is optional).

Some of this depends on how much I get done this week, because school is about to start soon for me and I have a lot of prep stuff to do too for my classes. Might lose a full week in middle of the month depending on how much I get done before then.

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I am wanting to  incorporate more atmosphere into the game (sfx, overlays etc.)

I also want to start to add a large amount of maps to expand the game further (mapping is my favorite part)

I will also begin to incorporate my own take on a morality system, custom tailored to my game, various variables etc, (I am looking to fully draft this out first so I know what different outcomes I can play with - so this will be a lot of work but will lay the story ground work to my game in terms of structure)

Today though, I am going to chill and do nothing after work, since it's my birthday today B)  hehe 

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Goals this month

• Finally get characters #3 and #4 into the game, with all their basic stats and first draft skills in place.
  • Find a few more music tracks.  This one always takes me forever.
  • I'll need to create or edit a lot of tiles.
  • Play test and implement what I hope will be my last new scripts.

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Goals:

-Finish the optional scenes.

-Ready the enemy's army.

Progress Report #1:

-Adding more enemies and attacks to the game. First up, a mercenary gunner. These use multiple types of ammo, along with providing support.

-Adding elemental based ammo. I've done the flame shot. These cannot be used again and again, as these can break rifles.

-Polishing Crystal Cave. Adding some cosmetic changes.

-Looking into using Google Drive to use as a host for update files. I can get direct URL links, so I might be able to build an update system.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@BigToastie Happy level up!

3tk4UFO.jpg

Since we are actually starting our new school year today, my goals this month are not too lofty. My main goal is to write, write, write. I think it's the next biggest step in getting on my way to getting this game done. I've only done some general outlines and such, but I really need to dig in and get details and dialogue done.

I'll also keep working on some graphics. I need to finish converting the sci-fi doors, I've got some POP! style stuff I've been working on that hopefully Vexed will be able to approve for sharing and I want to do some more modern sprite work.

I did get stuff done last month despite not posting. Like, ever. It wasn't much with everything else going on but it got there. Hopefully now that I'm not spending so much time planning school stuff, and as we get into a routine of doing school each day, I can get into a more consistent game dev routine.

Yappy Monoxide

The Yappiest Yap Yapp you will ever Yap
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Basic Goals:

Remake some character graphics

Finish First Dungeon

Add Complete Side Quest

Find a Script to add a Menu Bar for one actor.

Resize big maps

Add a Chicken Somewhere

Add More Enemies

Nanaki_Fan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Finally reached my July Goals. Got a new Demo up.

August goals are:

Make a Game Control Scene. (Done!)

Finish all interiors for Port town map. (25ish interiors!!)

Here is my Game Control Scene that I made. It appears at the start of the game. I also made an in game Key Item that calls a common event showing this picture. I considered making it part of the menu but I found using an item was more unique.

Game Controls.png

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Looks like some nice progress plans! Let's keep it up!

8.1 Update: Evented the game up to the 2nd boss now of Chapter 9, now you can play the chapter up to that point. Also used GIMP to edit some tiles for one of my up and coming dungeons, and mapped all of it but the entrance, as I still need to map the town that leads to that entrance (and wanted to leave some flex room for that).

Next up is to map the town that leads up to this dungeon. At that point I'll be in the 3rd to last dungeon of the game (and the 2nd to last dungeon is almost all mapped, as it is a dungeon you return to, but can finally access the last area).

YEEART

Super Highschool Level...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I altered the resolution for my game (was too big at first, so I made it smaller), so now I'm stuck with the tedious task of literally fixing:

- the images I've used 

- fixing my battle hud 

- and checking plugin incompatibilities (the smaller hud may cut off some things)...

However, my goal for this month is to make at least an hours worth of game play, and post a demo on the "Early Project Feedback" board.

Feenick

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I want to get a demo of my game done by the end of the week, which will entail:

• getting events squared away 
  • drawing out the last npc and converting it into a sprite along with the two others I still need to do
  • making the main screen borders not quite as boring
  • grabbing some music and sound effects to throw in
  • some last-minute balancing of enemies

@ZServ: I am, but as it's in a non-RPG Maker program I don't think all the trickery I've done to make it happen will be of use to you. I'm pretty sure I've seen some scripts that deal with 3d mazes for VX Ace around, though.

ZServ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
New month! Time for new content.
Current hope for this month is to finish the next major build. Changes that will include:

- Aldsea remade. Writing is almost done, with 2 major cutscenes left to cover. Then, I'll need to implement the new gameplay scenarios and cutscenes. But, before I implement the new gameplay and cutscenes, I need to finish a draft-map of the new Western Woods. The Eastern Path (shown in the last thread) has significantly been polished since then, but remains at an unsatisfactory level. However, as it's playable, it's a lower priority.

- Two new bounties (sidequests). With Babel, I'm trying to follow a design idealogy of "three tiers" of content. More on that later. One of the bounties is actually being worked on right now (yay! alt-tab). It involves a young man who is infatuated with a young woman, and asks you to collect a special flower for her, in the hopes of winning her heart. Sadly, our love-struck employer will not be successful. But, through that, it allows our party to tell a joke in a hidden way. He'll ask you to collect 7 for her, as 7 is her lucky number. Afterwards, he'll reward you, and leave for a bit. Once he is turned down, he'll return, although a bit sad from his failure. If the party then presents him with 13 flowers (without being prompted to), he'll laugh, and reward you a second time for making him feel a bit better. Mechanical jokes are fun, and I hope players will enjoy this bit of tomfoolery, even though it'll be a tad hidden. :)

- Finalizing the "iconography," talked about in the last thread. Mainly picking a color for consumable items, and making all the relevant icons.

I may remake one of the bounties in the first zone, Aldsea, however, as I'm not happy with it. All in all, after these changes, the game will have 6/9 playable bosses, 2/3 playable dungeons, 6/9 bounties, and.. I don't even know how many sidequests there are. I think there are 8 in Aldsea (including 3 bounties), and.. 7 in Transyl? So 15 sidequests, out of probably ~20 total. With any luck, this build will last players 8-12 hours, but we'll see.

Touching back on the "three tiers" thing! The first tier would be the basic story, mandatory content. Second tier would be the bounty system, which is more or less sidequests that you're brought to, and it's up to you to determine whether or not to do them. Finally, the third tier is obscure content, or hidden content. For example, the second dungeon utilizes a color mechanic throughout the dungeon, finally capping out at the boss of the dungeon, who uses a color-based mechanic. Should the player do the dungeons mechanics in a particular way, and then replicate that during the boss fight, it will cause a hidden trigger, opening up a new path in the dungeon. From there, that leads them to an item, and through that item, a sidequest that will reward a powerful piece of equipment. By following this rigidly at first, you allow yourself to clearly define what is mandatory, and what isn't. From there, you can blur the lines. Like in the new bounty, outlined above, the main part of it is strictly in the second tier. However, as there's a second part that is triggered through the player.. well, trying random stuff, that would fall into tier 3.

The hope is that by blurring these lines in certain areas, I'll be able to provide an experience where people see their friends save file and think "wait, how did you get that?!"

I love discovering secrets in games, and hope that by hiding plenty of them, players will be able to get something unique to them out of it.

With that out of the way, is this thread also fine for like a "general discussion" regarding progress? For example, if there's a technical trick that I'm trying to pull off that relates to the progress posted in this thread, is it fine for me to ask about that here, or should I keep it to its own thread?

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
@BigToastieHappy Bird Happy Bird Happy Birtday to you!Happy Bird Happy Bird Happy Birtday to you!Happy Bird Happy Bird Happy Birtday to you!Happy Biiiiiiiiiiii Happy Birtday to you! (imagine it on a classical tune that pretty much imitates a horse running.  I could do it on Pop Corn too!  :p  )

All right new goals;

• $Eg heads (plus one bonus!)
  • non-totally RPGMaker related but...  Busking more so I can have some peace in mind in the wallet section because of all the money I owe the vet for Daughter cat.
  • kinda tetris out the lab and apartment, since the bedbugs are supposed to be gone for good *knocks on wood**crosses fingers**prays the Lord*
  • Getting more of my stuff done to be on-line and attempt to tame once more my net nervousness.
  • getting more trough tutorials

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Progress Report, 8/1/16:

So my first game, which I have now begun formal work on, is inspired by the Etrian Odyssey series and other dungeon crawlers such as Demon Gaze. 

Working Title Screen.png

Obviously, that's just a working title until I think of a proper one, which is one of the month's goals.

Chose a name for the main town of the game - Gildenburg.  It's German for "Guild Castle", in reference to the various adventuring guilds operating out of it.  The similarity to "Gild" as in gold also suggests how these adventurers hope to make their fortune.  

Wrote short profiles for the main cast.

Worked out the HP and MP stat curves for the playable characters and modified the core damage formula.

Character Stats Screenshot.png

Character Stats Lvl 99.png

Noticed that there seems to be a discrepancy of +10 ATK and +10 DEF for the characters in battle testing beyond what I'd expect from equipment.

Also, obtained more potential music for my game from Wingless Seraph.  They have lots of good battle themes.

Speaking of which, I suppose I will have to add choosing fitting music for the game as a monthly goal, as that will do a lot to influence the game's feel.  Currently I've chosen the main battle theme (Battle 6), and I think I'll be using Wingless Seraph's "Beast from Hell" for stronger encounters.  

By the way, what's the syntax for inserting spoilers into posts?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@ZServ "How do I...?" questions should always be in the Support forum for the engine you are using.  Not only would that prevent this thread being derailed, but also anyone else with a similar problem would search that forum to see if the answer already exists, they wouldn't think of looking here.  In addition, you would be drawing from a larger pool of potential helpers, as this thread, by definition, is read by fewer people.  It tends to be just those who are posting in it.

VideoWizard

Dragon Kingdoms Series producer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hello all! I haven't been posting much, I know. Sometimes it's about getting started.

Goals for August:

Get something done in all my projects. Yeah, I know it sounds simple.

Best bet: August 1-5, 19-25. So-so: August 11-18, 26-31. Worst: August 6-10 (post-vacation blues? Also Back to School sales, so busy)

Another Ned

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Lots of motivation, energy and other useful things usually ending in -tion for everyone working toward their goals!

Had a planning session yesterday and decided to go with weekly goals again instead of monthly, so

Goals for week #31:

• Figure out the overall story of the project (a rough outline will do, it's just for planning purposes)
  • Decide on the two or three areas the game will have and write down some high concepts for those
  • Do some quick studies everyday (failed that yesterday already, but there's still six days left : D I deem the goal not-failed if I manage five days out of seven)

Non-RM goals:

• check if InDesign's still working
  • plan what I want to use for the application in October so I can prepare some of the things I don't have to create first
  • also, I need tea. I'm out of tea. How did this happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Artists out there, is there something RPG maker related you wish your graphics software had but doesn't? (Something like automatically transform a wall tile into a cylindrical tower). I want to give a boost to WecTools, but I'm dry of ideas right now...
having anxiety during all this virus stuff is the absolute worst. I'm the only one missing out on my friend's wedding in Sept. because I can't be in large groups of people anymore due to anxiety.
Well... I just spent most of the day making something I cant even use xD

Hero_1.png
The idea was to look at the original but at a medium distance.
In hindsight, I might as well have just edited the original lol... I didn't intend for it to end up so similar.
does anyone else feel tired after completing a sprite?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aks2279