Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm making a Sci-Fi Futuristic Survival Game where Survival and Exploration are the main aspects, Battle is a just a side feature. Since Survival and Exploration already requires a lot of attention and effort, I'm considering make Battle encounters easier for the Player, By making the entire Battle system Auto Battle based.

Items will be used at random , Ex : Healing Items used automatically at Low Health. Players will buff themselves, Automatically. There are no Abilities in my game, Just basic attacks and Status Afflictions linked to Gear. Much of Battle will be about combinations of Gear and Gear Stat and Weapons which deliver Affliction effects and Gear that prevent Afflictions, Which will play a Huge role in Battles.

Would you play such a Game where Gear Combinations decides outcomes of Battles and everything is Auto Battle based so that you could put more effort and time into Survival aspect of the Game ?

Last edited:

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would prefer to have option to play auto battle or not, sometimes auto battle leads to defeat

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would prefer to have option to play auto battle or not, sometimes auto battle leads to defeat
That's the whole point of this Game, Players needs to learn to Survive and Gather Gear and equip them in a certain combination on their Character, Depending on the Situation they face and Environment they are in. If they don't, They will end up being dead in Battles.

It is because of this Hardcore Survival aspect, I plan to make it an Auto Battle, So they don't get tired doing multiple things all at once. Battle Difficulty will be raised slowly though at a comfortable pace, Where it feels not too hard but not too easy either.

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
While the concept itself is fine, this kind of battle system will be entirely based around trial and error as well as RNG, both are bad difficulty options, plus I wouldn't feel fun having to watch battles play on their own while I'm playing a game that requires me to put in effort anyways.

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If the game's focus is on battle preparation and then it "plays out" (where essentially your role in battle is to equip your characters in the most efficient way possible and "send them to war") that's fine. If it's just to make it easier, then no.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you missunderstood my point. So I rephrase my answer
I would give option either trough game options or before battle to choose I want an auto battle or battle manualy.

There was a mobile game I played with auto battle option during battles and that system was I think the best way, to toggle auto battle during fight. But that's just my opinion.

To give you a better impresion what i mean - https://prnt.sc/t6so3w

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Items will be used at random , Ex : Healing Items used automatically at Low Health
The two halves of that statement contradict each other. If items are used automatically when the player is at low health, then they are not being used randomly. If they are being used randomly, then a healing item could be used when it is not needed, or not used when it is needed.

Unless your AI is absolutely superb, you could still end up with the player being defeated when they know (or at least could reasonably believe) that in a manual battle they would have won.

But let us suppose, for the sake of discussion, that you manage to get round that one. It sounds like the only strategy required from the player is picking the right gear. I don't think I would find that particularly engaging after a few battles. I think I would be left wondering something along the lines of "If this game is really about survival and exploration, and battles are fully automated - why are there battles in this at all? It's not a test of my use of skills (there are none) it's not about how, if at all, I can pull myself back from the brink of defeat, it's not about devising a battle strategy which I enjoy using. So why am I wasting my time with them? Let me stick with survival and exploration."

JMsoup

New guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
I think if you do an auto battle besides gear, you would need a system similar to FFXII's gambit, where you can set the if/else to a certain extent for your party. Either that or give an option for the player to take over if things get bad. Nothing sucks more than bad AI causing your loss.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
But let us suppose, for the sake of discussion, that you manage to get round that one. It sounds like the only strategy required from the player is picking the right gear. I don't think I would find that particularly engaging after a few battles. I think I would be left wondering something along the lines of "If this game is really about survival and exploration, and battles are fully automated - why are there battles in this at all? It's not a test of my use of skills (there are none) it's not about how, if at all, I can pull myself back from the brink of defeat, it's not about devising a battle strategy which I enjoy using. So why am I wasting my time with them? Let me stick with survival and exploration."
I mostly agree with @Kes about this point. I don't know whether I would go so far as to say take the battles out completely if you're thinking about turning on Auto Battle, but I would say you would definitely want to focus on:
  • Making sure these battles play out very quickly (no more than 2 turns for most battles) - after all, the player is just sitting there watching, so you want to minimize downtime, and you also want the effect of every single action to feel very clear and present.
  • Avoiding dynamics where any single battle (except maybetwo or three boss battles throughout your game) have the potential to completely wipe out a full-health party, even if the party is poorly set up for that particular combat - since you are robbing the player of the ability to make adjustments once battle starts (via your auto battle system), this would be massively unfair.
    • Instead, since (as you said) Survival and Exploration are the main aspects of engagement, make a poor setup result in taking more damage (but not lethal amounts) or extra status conditions that, if not corrected over multiple battles, will put a serious drain on your resources and your ability to Survive.
  • Creating battle mechanics which allow for a fairly large divide between good setups and bad setups (assuming similar stats and overall equipment power levels) - as this is the main way that the player engages with the battle system, you want to make sure their decisions can really be felt!
If you can nail these, I think your game will be not only unique, but very engaging. If you can't, then your game's just going to feel dumb and frustrating, and you'd be better off leaning one way or the other by giving the player manual control over combat (and just keeping encounter rates low to focus on exploration) or removing RPG combat entirely (maybe abstracting enemies into events with a couple of decisions you can make).

I assume you'll be using a plugin like Yanfly's Actor Auto Battle AI or similar (and spend a lot of time making detailed AI sets) if you're going to create this in RPG Maker, as the default Auto Battle AI can't do anything clever like use items. I think with enough work, you could create something pretty good, especially if you give the player a few options they can set outside battle (like how low the party should be before using consumable items, and whether characters should gang up on low targets or spread their fire out), and implement those options as Switches that are checked in the Actor AI conditions.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Would I play a game where battles were entirely automated? Probably not, because to me, part of the fun of good battle systems battles is reacting to a given situation. If you're going to have forced auto battles, then you're better off not having any battles at all or having your battles instantly play out without entering a battle screen. Otherwise, you're just forcing me to look at an annoying and repetitive cutscene every time my player sprite collides with an enemy (or worse, at random)

Rayhaku808

Chubbizard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I see what you're going for overall. Attaining survival equipment and gear for combat IS the game. So will these be acquired in the overworld and not through combat? The battling is the side stuff as you say. However, how punishing is losing battles? What about rewards for winning? I believe these are actually the keys in what determine the main and side features rather than what you simply say.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I feel like playing ATB is already too slow in some cases, auto-battle would only be far worse. I've learned to accept auto-battles in some grindy mobile games, but those are very different type of games. They're played while on the go as a daily routine and for the longterm grind.
For any other type of game, auto-battle would feel like a waste of my time. I mean, you could maybe (that'd be a huge maybe) get it to work, if the preparation stage is engaging enough and the battles are fun to look at on their own. I just prefer to play my games, rather than watching them.

Raths Rants

Lord Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I went with a combination of auto and manual battles. The main protagonists of the story are set to manual. The guest characters are set to automatic.

Joe The Smith joins the party from time to time. He's set to automatic. Whereas John our hero is set to manual.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Explorer's Log:
September 29th
Silent Hill 4pm, 91F, air quality forecast of 301 AQI

The mask upgrade appears to be working great, I've had less hallucinations of weird fleshy creatures today... Some even look like people. Though I remain unconvinced of such. Still in hindsight, I probably should have treated previous "weird fleshy creatures" better, just in case.

Still no Pyramid hat though, I'll keep searching.
Rocket League - Streaming once more! - 30 Followers Goal

30 Followers and I'll stream a game while using a voicechanger
Was liking Genshin Impact ok.... then T.T .... *sniffle* then..... TWWWT MICRO-TRANSACTIONS!!!! BWAAAAAAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAAAA!

Would you be brave enough to explore an ancient dungeon filled with treasures?
Uh, and skulls; don't forget the skulls.
I can't believe that there are streamers playing my game! This is so amazing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thecooked1