redmedved2

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Belarusian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Firstly I'd like to say that I do use such system, where you can encounter a lot of similar enemy parties on the map. It's fine system for my game, but still I'm trying to improve it and make less boring and more worthwhile. For example, I made a system where on each map at the beginning there's a lot of enemies, but when you fight them, their events disappears from the map and will reappear only with small chance. So, that way the player have the reason to fight them, to make the map cleaner so then he can move through the map without enemies. It's like building highways in Death Stranding, you are struggling at first to make your life easier later.

But still, these fights are repetitive and pretty boring. I usually try to give the bosses unique memorable mechanics, and I don't think much about the average enemy. And typically players are annoyed by these frequent encounters when they are already leveled up and can easily kill the enemy, but still have to enter the battle many times. So a couple of hours ago I had an idea that I'm thinking about and I want to share it with you so that we can develop it together.

Player has a level, and so does the enemy (enemy level is just a fixed variable). In the beginning of each enemy encounter, there is a small initial event, when the system compares the levels of you and the enemy, and then, with some math and a bit of random, decides what will happen next.

If the level of the enemy exceeds the level of the player, the battle takes place with 100% probability. But as soon as the player's level exceeds the level of the enemy, the player has a certain chance to finish the battle without a fight and get all the experience and drop from the enemy. At the same time, if the battle is definitely not going to happen, the more the player's level is higher than the enemy's, the more chances he has of not taking damage at all. By taking damage, I mean that if the battle doesn't happen, with different probabilities, the player's party members can be damaged automatically and then just rewarded with what they would have received during the battle. I quickly drew a schematic so you can better understand this.

And now I'll also give you examples:

Enemy level - 5, Player level - 4:
Battle will happen 100%

Enemy level - 5, Player level - 6:
Battle will happen 60%, 30% chance of auto battle and 30% damage to party, 10% chance of auto battle and 15% damage.

1651013543611.png

Enemy level - 5, Player level - 10:
Battle will happen 10%, 10% chance of auto battle and 30% damage to party, 30% - 15% damage, 50% - 0% damage.

1651013425201.png

Percentage are random, but in the actual system it will be combination of math and some random spread +-.

So far, as I said earlier, this idea is only a couple of hours old, so I'd love to get your opinion, your ideas, or even better, if you could try to think of the actual mathematical formulas.:LZSsmile:

LordOfPotatos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
my question is, why use RNG at all?
if the point of the system is to let the player skip fights that would require no effort why not just do that?

as in if the player's level exceeds the enemy's level by a wide enough margin guaranteed instakill happens.

in fact, that what a lot of RPGs do. persona 5 lets you run weak mobs over in a bus and atelier instakills weak mobs instead of giving you first turn if you wack them in the overworld.

on a different note, why exactly are that many mob fights necessary?

freakytapir

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if the point of the system is to let the player skip fights that would require no effort why not just do that?

as in if the player's level exceeds the enemy's level by a wide enough margin guaranteed instakill happens.

in fact, that what a lot of RPGs do. persona 5 lets you run weak mobs over in a bus and atelier instakills weak mobs instead of giving you first turn if you wack them in the overworld.

Padding run time I guess is the reason for that many fights.

Now, to add to the persona 5 thing, the killing lower level enemies, it is an unlockable ability that does require a bit of effort to aquire, but also grants the battle's full rewards.

redmedved2

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Belarusian
Primarily Uses
RMMV

For me, it's like a way to show a player his progress. Rng so that the player does not have a certain threshold, after which all enemies are automatically killed, but so that gradually, as his level increases, the player notices that he less and less often has to engage in battle with certain enemies. In general, this whole system is aimed at giving the player a sense of progress.

It is clear that each game has its own specific gameplay, some games have only strong and rare enemies, each battle with which is a challenge. In my case, a lot of enemies is caused by the nature of the gameplay, so I want to diversify it. I think that the player will feel his progression while fighting regular enemies with the possibility of skipping battles over time, so it does not get boring. And all his actual skills and abilities will be required in the rare battles with bosses, or in fights with new enemies whos level is higher than the player's.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Oh man. IGMC's finally back. I really want to participate, but I'm not sure if I have the time.
It is DC's turn to be celebrating her leveling up and starts her 20th year. We were many to think she wouldn't live that long. Starts your cats motors and make 'em purr!
why_hello_mira.jpg

I made myself a cult leader, and a concept scene for him as well. :LZSexcite:
SpaceBot wrote on DoctorMolotov's profile.
I miss you :kaocry:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sm0ll