TalalAlgreby

Cupcakes Lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
Hello Everyone !

i was asking if there is an Auto Save function?

i know this was asked before, but people were asking for certain save to turn into "Auto-Save" function, and it will automatically Save in case the player forgets

What i want is the game to Auto-Save on the SAME save slot you chose

(You saved on Slot 4 - Auto save on Slot 4)

(You Saved on Slot 6 - it will auto save on Slot 6)

Basically it will Auto-save on the same slot you're playing with.

and i want to call it by command.

so that when the player makes a certain choice (that would change the story) the game would immediately Auto-save

so that the player won't be able to load and change the choice he made.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
There is an auto save script by Dr Todd, but it always saves in slot 0, not in the last slot used. Still, you might be able to edit it to do the rest, as you can turn off all the optional auto saving it does, so that it is only by command.

However, if I may speak frankly as a player? That sounds like a jerk move to save over the last save just because of a choice. I personally hate games that do that, and I think you are going to find *many* other players do. AutoSaving to slot 0, ok. AutoSaving and wiping the last save? Not cool.

Edit: I'm assuming this is a long game when I say that. If it is a 1 - 2 hour game, then I can understand the choice more. It's just frustrating if you accidentally hit the wrong button 20+ hours into a game, then learn you are locked into it as the autosave wiped your save. Just something you may want to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:

TalalAlgreby

Cupcakes Lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
There is an auto save script by Dr Todd, but it always saves in slot 0, not in the last slot used. Still, you might be able to edit it to do the rest, as you can turn off all the optional auto saving it does, so that it is only by command.

However, if I may speak frankly as a player? That sounds like a jerk move to save over the last save just because of a choice. I personally hate games that do that, and I think you are going to find *many* other players do. AutoSaving to slot 0, ok. AutoSaving and wiping the last save? Not cool.
i'm really bad at scripting, i totally know 0% of scripting so i might not be able to do that.

As for the Auto save, i am using it for a certain future and not for every choice

i will use it in battles, as in battles if the enemy's HP reaches 75% a cutscene will happen and it will ask you questions about the cutscene

like "What is the capabilities of your enemy?" 

and more choices will appear.

Overall, When the enemy's HP reaches 0% it'll Ask you to execute a finishing plan to defeat your enemy (in most cases, your enemies are stronger then you and you need to be smart to figure out what's their ability, how does it work, how can i beat it)

and if you choose the wrong plan (using all the info you gathered throughout the fight) and/or failed to execute the plan correctly, The story will progress and won't give you a second chance in that fight, ultimately i want the player to accept their loss, they can easily restart the whole fight.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ok, that makes more sense, I was thinking irreversible choices in a cutscene there. But for a battle you can restart, that makes a tad more sense.

Unfortunately the script I mentioned I don't think will let you save in a battle. I'm not sure any script out there does actually, as I don't know of any that save the battle data (enemy HP, troops left, etc). Might have to put in a script request for this one. Maybe one of the mods will know more on this and if a save in the middle of a battle can be done?

TalalAlgreby

Cupcakes Lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
Ok, that makes more sense, I was thinking irreversible choices in a cutscene there. But for a battle you can restart, that makes a tad more sense.

Unfortunately the script I mentioned I don't think will let you save in a battle. I'm not sure any script out there does actually, as I don't know of any that save the battle data (enemy HP, troops left, etc). Might have to put in a script request for this one. Maybe one of the mods will know more on this and if a save in the middle of a battle can be done?
it's not really a "Save in the battle"

but when the battle is done, and when you choose and CONFIRM that you want this plan the game will auto save by a command.

not sure if there is one like this, i'll wait a bit and see

might need to post it in script request

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hmmm...I think Todd's will work like that then, as long as it is after the battle is over. Give Dr Todd's script a try, see if it comes close to what you want. I can't copy/paste links (ie11 won't let me) else I'd try to find it and paste it.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here is the link.  One of the options is to have autosave before battles, so you might want to think about getting that modified with a script request, or turn it off.

Last edited by a moderator:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Beaten to the punch. I just changed browsers so I could try to post it. But yes, that is the one. If you use Yanfly's Save engine, make sure to scroll down to find the patch so it works with that script (its buried in the posts).

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Enemy stats will get saved, since they are stored in $game_troop. However, by default savegames are restored to Scene_Map and even if you were to restore Scene_Battle, you would need to persist the data stored in the scene and (especially) in BattleManager.

TalalAlgreby

Cupcakes Lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
@Ksjp17 Hmm This is the script for a Auto save in case the player forgets (before battle and such)

it also saves on a certain file, but what i want is to save on the file the player is playing on.

i think i'll get that modified with a script request.

@bgillisp Seen that, but it isn't exactly what i wanted.

@lavra that's some info i know nothing about XP but what i get from your talk is that the enemies automatically save under $game_troop

and the saves are restored to the original map the player saved on?

Thanks for the help guys, i think i'll go get that modified (hope someone modifies it for me)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've moved this thread to RGSS3 Script Requests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Brigg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Dr Todd's Autosave is pretty handy. The problem I've found with it is that the file isn't called Autosave like it says it should in the script. Instead, it simply says, File 1, which can be very confusing to players.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Look at the pretty pictures, they're so lifelike, touch them... Yes... Do so.... It will be fine... Promise. :LZSgrin:
The power of tutorials. This was fun to make,parallax lightning makes more sense to me now. Now comes the annoying step of doing stuff without a step by step show though !_!
With the new phone, I can now play a lot of old RPGs that my old phone just didn't have room for. Some RPGs definitely show their age even with updated graphics and quick saving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noahkw