Gluoner

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi,

do you know if it is possible to launch hundreds of battle test without graphic output quickly and just store the results (who won). I would like to do some Monte Carlo simulation to analyse paramater sensitivity.

So the ideal tool would let me
1) choose parameter range
2) pick random combination of parameters within that range
3) run x battles (around 100)
4) write parameterset and % of wins to file

Any idea where to start
Thanks

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The main issue with this would be ensuring a logical iteration of ability uses on the part of the party. You're not going to get much useful data in a battle where everyone tries to buff and heal themselves a bunch of times with full HP and buffs.

Gluoner

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The main issue with this would be ensuring a logical iteration of ability uses on the part of the party. You're not going to get much useful data in a battle where everyone tries to buff and heal themselves a bunch of times with full HP and buffs.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
It is an exercise for my students, so I can live with "artificial stupidity", my main problem is how to make sort of a batre file to launch many simulacions.
How can I make a script that sets the parameters and computes the battle outcome quickly.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd probably code a separate app in like C# or something that just loads data from the .json files to figure out the numbers and whatnot, and then just duplicate the function that tests items/skills on a target.

Gluoner

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
It is an exercise for my students, so I can live with "artificial stupidity", my main problem is how to make sort of a batre file to launch many simulacions.
How can I make a script that sets the parameters and computes the battle outcome Quick.
I'd probably code a separate app in like C# or something that just loads data from the .json files to figure out the numbers and whatnot, and then just duplicate the function that tests items/skills on a target.
Yes, but then I would have to reprogram the battle logic... It would be somehow nicer if I could provide the students a solution within rpgmaker.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm. Well the function to test skills/items is there...couldn't you just call it a bunch of times passing in the enemies you want to test out as targets?

Gluoner

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm. Well the function to test skills/items is there...couldn't you just call it a bunch of times passing in the enemies you want to test out as targets?
The problem is that for the kind of analysis I want to teach them we need thousends of simulacions...
And somehow I feel that the hard works in rpgmaker is already done, I can run the individual simulacions, but each run takes around 10 seconds, mainly due to the animations which we don't need in this specific case...

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Don't do it in the actual battle, just call the same functions the battle system uses. You don't need any animations.

Gluoner

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok, I dived a bit into the code, I guess the entry point would be DataManager.setupBattleTest and BattleManager.startBattle. But where are they called from? I can't find the code for the battle test window...
Thanks again for your help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My app store submission for Knight Bewitched 2 got rejected - I forgot that Google's not as fond of scantily clad girls as Steam is. I'll have to replace my cover art...
I have just restored the Pelican Town Community Center in Stardew Valley. Somehow I feel like I've completed a rite of passage as a gamer.
Just a heads-up that Slip into Ruby and Jump into Javascript might be a bit slow for now while I'm on the team porting the YEP plugins to VisuStella's MZ suite.
So I managed to build a teleport skill. You can see the progression in the development topic
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/in-dev-multi-hit-target-selection.125049/

Here's how it looks:

But the real question is, can I pull off FF8?

I love these little slime battlers. Really wish I could find more animated ones :'(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gothsorrowsuffer