cwush

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi, I'm trying to setup an event having a repeating balloon icon playing above them to indicate to the player that they can be interacted with. Upon interacting I want to stop the balloon icon. I've tried a few ways and my main issue is getting both to be working at the same time.

Attachments

• RPGMZ_u6DX3Z9kEQ.png
    RPGMZ_u6DX3Z9kEQ.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 8
  • RPGMZ_BUG10lzmJ7.png
    RPGMZ_BUG10lzmJ7.png
    86 KB · Views: 8

Rubescen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It appears you're using the same switch on page 3, so the parallel event isn't ever running (since page 2 is lower priority than page 3). I would probably make a separate event to run the parallel bubble action and then you can have the switch turn that off when the player interacts with the blacksmith.

cwush

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It appears you're using the same switch on page 3, so the parallel event isn't ever running (since page 2 is lower priority than page 3). I would probably make a separate event to run the parallel bubble action and then you can have the switch turn that off when the player interacts with the blacksmith.
So I'd need a new switch and event? Is that the best way to do it cuz my OCD gets to me when things aren't neat and that'd definitely create some clutter when I've done this a lot

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
NEVER run a parallel with the balloon event on an NPC as it will NEVER
be activated when interacting.

you can however set a balloon event above the player head and bound
that to the npc when interacting.

I believe MOG-Hunter has a plugin exactly for that, but not sure if he ported
to MZ engine yet.

name for MV = MOG_EventIndicator,
if he port it to MZ, it should have the same name.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I'd need a new switch and event?
yes and no.

if this is part of a quest, you'll need switches per quest anyway to store the current step of the quest. and then you have multiple events reacting to that.
So in that case you should not use new switches, but utilize the switches (or variables) already used for the quest correctly.

but yes, this does require documentation or very correct naming. This is one reason why I always say to name switches and variables when they are used - and to name them in a good way.
"indicator 1" is a BAD way to name things, because in six months you'll never know which event is using "indicator 143" and which one is using "indicator 482".
Always use a name that tells you what the switch or variable is about without having to dive into a three-hundred-page documentation.

that said, most people use variables as step-counters instead of switches when the quests go beyond simple fetch-quests. Like "QC M23 wolfclaw" for "Quest Counter on Map 23, Quest to fetch 12 wolf claws", and then count step 1: quest received, step 2: not enough wolf claws, step 3: wolf claws collected, step 4: reward received"

For simple quests that have a low number of steps and do not leave a specific map, you can also use self-switches instead of variables - that is up to the developer. Self-switches do not clutter your switch list, but they have other limitations.

cwush

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I already had a hunch about the correct naming of things to stay organized and that variables are used in that way, I'm in really early stages of learning the program so haven't been bothered with actually doing any of it since at the moment it's all just experimental test quests and events etc, but it's good to have the confirmation that it's definitely a good idea to do in the future!

Essentially what I picked up from this is, clutter is unavoidable, and I should instead use a combination of variables and switches to get things working right.

So I've tried this out and it's working, I just want to double check I've done it well though and that there's not a better way.
So I have the quest starter which interacting with her starts not only the blacksmith variable but also any relevant switches for this variable stage
RPGMZ_YaDbAUOE7J.pngthen just a quick door indicator basically telling the player hey, the quest target is in here (or in this direction) since my experience with these games is if they dont tell u exactly where to go, it can be a little frustrating having to guess which direction you need to go to advance the story/quest. I imagine this would cause issues if doing 2 quests at once, but quickly skimming over the idea in my head makes me think 1 quest at a time wouldnt be so badRPGMZ_zpazmUrRuu.pngthen the blacksmith himselfRPGMZ_rRwN4RVLKG.pngand a separate event serving as the bubble icon located directly above the blacksmith event, its parallel because I didn't understand what ShadowDragon meant above but it seems to have worked fine for what I was looking forRPGMZ_rdWv0fkYV0.png

TSR

The Northern Frog
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello, anotherway to do this is use the autonomous movement to persistently call the balloon.
This way the ballon will stop while the message box is open, and resume once you close the message. (That will also avoid the use of a parallel just to call a balloon)...

See screen shots:
Capture d’écran, le 2022-07-05 à 17.55.03.png
Capture d’écran, le 2022-07-05 à 17.54.32.png
* the second argument of the requestBallon call is the balloon Id.

Regards.

cwush

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oh wow this is exactly what I was looking for! I suppose this means they'll need to stand still whenever it's setup like this but if the situation ever calls for it I suppose I could then use the other technique, thanks :)
Hello, anotherway to do this is use the autonomous movement to persistently call the balloon.
This way the ballon will stop while the message box is open, and resume once you close the message. (That will also avoid the use of a parallel just to call a balloon)...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm in really early stages of learning the program
then I suggest you follow the link to the "starting point" in my signature, it was written for exactly people like you.

some of the tutorials linked there are older, but they are still valid even for RMMZ because the changes between VXA, RMMV and RMMZ are only on the more advanced functions and added options.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

no I did not just have to write a song three different times because my music software doesn't support tempo changes!!
I WILL defeat this demonic USB connection notification bug
ScreenShot_8_15_2022_6_22_24.png
Mike trying to dodge the Memory Pawns invading Bantam Street. I like how the filters I used on the map almost make it look like the street is wet in a sense.
Come watch as Studio Blue plays OMORI live on the final RPG Maker Critiques stream!

The only way I can get my cat to exercise is by throwing cat treats across the room so he will run after them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goonfuture