Automatic dialogue whilst player walks

thepsyche

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hi there everyone,

Right now I'm trying to have a few lines of dialogue that plays out between the player and a single follower while they talk around on a map. The execution is no problem (I'm using GALV's timed messages plugin), but if a player was rather quick, he / she could enter another map while the conversation is ongoing.

I don't want to limit the player from doing this, but it would be ideal to have the conversation to continue where it left off when the player enters a new area. Is this too much trouble than it's worth, or can it be sorted easily using common events?

Thanks!

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Probably more trouble than it's worth as conversations that occur without interrupting game play are by definition, not important enough to interrupt game play. But I have an idea if this is a rare occurrence, at least. Create a variable that increments each time a new line of dialog appears. While you are running through the conversation, wrap each line of dialog within a conditional branch and skip over it if your variable is at the appropriate value. Copy and paste your conversation event to any map that the player may be able to reach and you're good to go.

So what might this look like as an example? Create a variable called conversation. Then make your dialog with each one wrapped in an if condition.

IF conversation < 10
Actor 1: "Hey, what you got going on tonight?"
Actor 2: "Not much. Just smashing brains in with my hammer."
conversation = 10​
END IF

IF conversation < 20
Actor 1: "I know right? My axe is getting hungry. Hasn't sliced off a limb in far too long."
Actor 2: "Tell me about it."
conversation = 20​
END IF

IF conversation < 30
Actor 2: "Hey, you remember that girl we met back in town?"
Actor 1: "The one with the purple hair?"
Actor 2: "Yeah, that's the one."
conversation = 30​
END IF

IF conversation < 40
Actor 2: "She was telling me about a Frost Giant down here."
Actor 1: "You don't say?"
Actor 2: "Yeah. She said he's got a ton of loot from killing would be adventurers that come down here."
conversation = 40​
END IF

IF conversation < 50
Actor 1: "I think we should go pay him a visit."
Actor 1: "My hammer needs a few more brains on it."
conversation = 50​
END IF

You can keep this event exactly how it i and copy and paste it to your other maps. It'll reference the global variable and skip over the blocks that have played and start right about where you left off. If you're wondering why I incremented by tens instead of ones, it's because you might need to add in some extra blocks of dialogue in between at some point and it gives you a little breathing room. You can add in a 15 or 25 if you need without having to adjust all of the numbers like you would if you counted up by ones. You could even count by 100 if you wanted to give yourself even more room to work with.

Hope this helps. Have a good one!

thepsyche

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yes, I see @Frogboy . This will work, good idea. As far as conversations not being important enough, essentially you're right, but it comes down to coloring between the lines. It's snippets of characters, it's building atmosphere and tone, and it's not interrupting anything other than pushing arrow keys.

hainsay

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Interesting, is there any way to make conversation increment if all the text is printed, but not require you to actually press the button to close the text box?

thepsyche

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yes, they're timed messages. I think their primary purpose is to be used with cutscenes, to have multiple messages pop up at once (say - in some kind of crowded sporting event), to run in parallel with the main dialogue. I wanted to experiment using them as a way for the characters to talk about some of the sights / events / objects they pass on their journey though, to see if that would work. If it had a meaningful enough use I might keep it.

hainsay

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Gotcha. What I was meaning though, was that if your character goes to a new map, and all the text has loaded but the message box hasn't disappeared yet, then on the next map it would show the same message again. I was thinking though, if you run a "wait" in parallel, you could time the conversation == conversation + 10 to coincide with the end of the message. A bit tedious to do but easy enough to test. Would have to be changed any time you change the text though.

thepsyche

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I see. Yeah, it depends on the frequency of the messages as to what length of work you'd have to go to. This could definitely work though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

stock analyst lady
Well, since I'm in lockdown, I guess it's finally time to get serious into rpgmaking... almost 20 years later.
Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FIL