Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
So i'm having trouble with a parallel process, yet again. Go figure.

So, what happens is, the player talks to a particular NPC, and then the NPC heads off to another map through careful use of switches. However, on the next map you encounter that NPC, it's frozen in place, despite the event being scripted to starts moving to a door leading to a different map.

I've tried having it as both an autorun and a parallel process, fiddled with certain conditional branches, all that, still doesn't react in the least.

I'll link the project file. No doubt it's some stupid small mistake of mine..

Scintillation.zip

Attachments

• Scintillation.zip
    323 bytes · Views: 4

seita

Donn_M
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Looking at the project right now. What map are we talking about here, and which NPC is the problem?

Vexed

Malibu Darby
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
OK! I've taken a look at the project file and it's fairly simple and easily done mistake - one I've been guilty of a bunch of times.

On the event for Lady Anna in the ChurchSubHallA Map, you have both pages there set to the same switch [switch: 006]. If more than one event page has the same switch as a condition, RPG Maker will always process the highest numbered event page, ignoring any lower numbered pages even if their conditions are met. In fact the highest numbered event page always takes priority if it's conditions are met as far as I'm aware.

Removing that second page would fix the problem you're having and allow you to run the first page as a parallel process event [or however you would like it to run - just remember if it's auto-run the player character will not be able to move until that event page has run it's course].

Last edited by a moderator:

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Looking at the project right now. What map are we talking about here, and which NPC is the problem?
Vexed found the problem.

OK! I've taken a look at the project file and it's fairly simple and easily done mistake - one I've been guilty of a bunch of times.

On the event for Lady Anna in the ChurchSubHallA Map, you have both pages there set to the same switch [switch: 006]. If more than one event page has the same switch as a condition, RPG Maker will always process the highest numbered event page, ignoring any lower numbered pages even if their conditions are met. In fact the highest numbered event page always takes priority if it's conditions are met as far as I'm aware.

Removing that second page would fix the problem you're having and allow you to run the first page as a parallel process event [or however you would like it to run - just remember if it's auto-run the player character will not be able to move until that event page has run it's course].
Okay, but at the same time, I kind of need the contents of the second page.

Vexed

Malibu Darby
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, as it stands now even if the first event page ran as expected, the second page would be redundant. There would be no way to run it as the switch that activates it is turned off at the end of the first page. And even if the switches were altered, you still have it set up so that Anna disappears [enters her room] at the end of her move route.

Let me know exactly what you're trying to accomplish and I'll see if I can give an example of how to do it. :)

seita

Donn_M
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've gone ahead and fixed your problem and added my own best practices that I'll detail. First your problem:

I assume you wanted the player to be able to walk while she walked to the door, the same as the first room you meet her, so I've simply mimicked that by moving the autorun into a separate parallel process, giving anna that single page.

I also changed the door to her room so that you can't enter unless she enters first, which will stop any bugs in case you need the parallel process to complete.

Things I've changed:

1. Revamped first cutscene to make sure it works using only an autorun. Reduces the back and forth you might do otherwise.
  2. Name all events that are important. This will keep your headaches at bay when youre using a single autorun to dictate everything and using multiple move routes.
  3. Added a door animation for when Anna enters the room. This is nice to see so that she doesn't just disappear into thin air.
There are a lot of things I could improve on in your project but these are some of the quick ones I could get to while fixing your problem.

edit: I forgot to attach your modified project file. Here it is~

edit 2: Don't forget to make backups of your project folder whenever you've done enough work (I do it daily regardless of what I get done).

Scintillation.zip

Attachments

• Scintillation.zip
    323 bytes · Views: 4

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Well, as it stands now even if the first event page ran as expected, the second page would be redundant. There would be no way to run it as the switch that activates it is turned off at the end of the first page. And even if the switches were altered, you still have it set up so that Anna disappears [enters her room] at the end of her move route.

Let me know exactly what you're trying to accomplish and I'll see if I can give an example of how to do it. :)
Well, if the player is allowed to walk around with Lady Anna, then the player might think to use the action button. Want to have a small piece of dialogue appear if the player does such a thing.

Vexed

Malibu Darby
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
seita's awesome edits have done more than I could probably explain here :)

If you want the player to be able to talk to Anna while she walks simply set the new event seita has created [Event ID:004] to parallel process. I've tested it out on seita's edited project file and it works.

seita

Donn_M
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oops, did I set it to autorun? ;x my bad.

seita

Donn_M
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Did you just double click on the Game.rvproj2 file? It won't open it, it'll just open the last project you had on. You need to open it from the menu File>Open Project or Ctrl+O

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Did you just double click on the Game.rvproj2 file? It won't open it, it'll just open the last project you had on. You need to open it from the menu File>Open Project or Ctrl+O
I did use Ctrl+O.

seita

Donn_M
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I re-downloaded my attachment and the changes are there. Vexed was able to see the changes as well, so chances are you're just opening the wrong project file. Make sure you're opening the correct one, I'm assuming in your download folder.

If you're positive it's the correct one, check to see if event 04 named "autorun" is in the CHURCHSBUHALLA map in the upper left corner, close to the red shield. If it's not there, you've opened up the wrong project.

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Found the problem. Same name+Steam cloud sync=fail

The move routes should not have the wait command on them, I think. Yeah, the player needs to be able to move during the move route in CHURCHSUBHALLA also.

EDIT 2: Okay, I think I could probably find a solution to my problem if I could get a conditional branch script for the event being at a particular place on the map. So, basically, IF event "Anna" is at tile X, then/else.

EDIT 3: Found a script that can indeed do that for me. Unfortunately, now, yet again, I have run into the strangeness of not being able to walk onto an event that is listed as "Below Characters" and "Event Touch". DAMNIT.

IvcJ1a3.jpg

EDIT 4: The script name is "Custom Event Triggers" btw.

seita

Donn_M
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I see what you're doing. You don't need a script, I already solved your problem, except I forgot to make event #4 a parallel process instead of an autorun. Re-download my edits and just change event 4 in the hallway into a parallel process. This will let the player walk while the event leads him, you don't need special scripting for what you're trying to do.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
People who stick with it to help other people are what makes the internet a great place!

Thanks, all you helpful folks.

Other people learn stuff by reading the helpful things you post.

Silent Darkness, good luck with your project!

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thank you for the words, Grandma.

Well, i've already decided to change how the scene will work out, but I will DEFINITELY use this as a good learning experience. Thank you, everyone. You helped :3

Alright, i'm done here. Thread can be closed now.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Silent Darkness, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Spent all day writing code, only for it to result in an endless loop...sigh.:kaosigh:
So um what is the deal with rpgmakerofficial.com ,why are there two rpg maker websites now? Is it any different from the current one rpgmakerweb.com??
ScreenShot_7_1_2022_11_41_55.png
When the Panic gauge is full, Mike will turn into Omar in a state of actual panic. his move list changes and until the meter depletes completely, he'll be able make use of this alter ego.
So unbelievably excited for IGMC this year! First public game was for the original one and I'm just so pumped!!
Sometimes I am amazed at how relentless spam bots are. I would clear the que and then see 800~5k more depending on their mood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chinhugo