CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sorry to add another topic to the chaos (Shaz, Zalerinian, Archeia - you guys are doing great!), but I'm having some trouble with the Autotile system in MV. Basically, I've got a nice 4-frame water animation with a railing. In RPG Maker XP, there's no problem - nice and simple. But in MV, I have two issues.

Firstly, there's only 3 frames of animation, which doesn't look as nice and smooth. So is there any way I can use a 4 frame autotile (I know there's a plugin for character animations)?

And the other issue is the size of the autotiles. In XP, they were 3 tiles wide and 4 tiles high, which provided adequate room for everything you might need (like the railing outline I mentioned). But in MV, they're only 2 wide and 3 high. It almost works, but there is only enough space to make things work one way (the horizontal works in the example below, but the vertical doesn't). Below that, you can see the way I've organised the autotile - just in case I've made a silly mistake XD

295097.png

So if anyone knows a way to fix this, I'd really appreciate it! =)

Felix Trapper

old fogey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
XP was the last maker to feature detailed autotiles.

In 2000, 2003 and XP you had a 3x3 square with 4 dedicated corner pieces.

They decided (much to my dismay) to simplify it in VX, VXA, and MV. They make the corners and the straight sections each share a half-tile resulting in the blocky look that began with VX.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Unfortunately you can't do 4 frame animations for autotiles and have to be 'work around'  :(

Last edited by a moderator:

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the information! =) That's always been one of my biggest problems with Enterbrain. I have to say, while the new features (resolution, plugins, release platforms, etc.) are really nice, I am amazed at some of the things that Enterbrain have removed (although I think a lot of them were changes made when VX came out)...the tileset configurations and lack of a straight-forward layering system are driving me mad XD

Would the autotiles (at least the frames of animation) be something that a future plugin could theoretically address?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Absolutely, now that we have full access to the source.

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Okay, that's great to hear at least! Thanks Shaz =D

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Absolutely, now that we have full access to the source.
This could been a better selling feature :p

West Devs have the entire source code and we can make some changes in the future :p

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Completely open source code WAS a selling feature ;)

They just didn't start listing all the things we could do with it, because it'd be a long list!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

The full estate map(include 1F,2F,3F and backyard), yes the backyard is a small labyrinth as well as an entrance to a real labyrinth!
Sometimes you Just need to realise someone is beyond help... Still hard to walk away tho :(
100 Horror/Tragedy Sample Maps, Penguin Mech Sprite, & TileD Templates | RPG Maker News #70

Continuing working on abs. So far I have done the workout twice. I am excited to see the results after a couple of weeks. How is everyone doing? :)
MZ: oh boy imma work today
Me, excited: Really?
MZ, doesn't do what I tell It too
Me: I Thought-
MZ: I am Working!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ollieoxenfree95