Autotiles in MV

Is RMXP better than RMMV for Autotiling?

• Total voters

Rishi Raj Jain

Pokemon MV Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
General Talk
After getting a very Negative Feedback from PokéCommunity about MV, I was forced to ask about Autotiles here.
As most of you might know I'm working on Monster Maker : Pocket Monster edition (a.k.a Pokémon Essentials MV), and as I shared this news to Pokémon Fans on PokéCommunity, they were not happy with MV tilemapping system.

Question
RMXP have Autotile, but what about RMMV, do RMMV have Autotiles by default, or is there any way to enable it?

Question 2
What is Autotile actually? Watched a few videos about it on YouTube but I'm bit confused?
There is one more Drawback suggested to me by the people on PokéCommunity, that the Layers system, and 48X48 Tiling restriction on MV, while on XP 16X16 can be used through Autotiling.

NOTE : I haven't used RMXP, and I'm not going to Purchase it to find the Answers. So, I'm expecting answers from someone familiar to both RMXP and RMMV.

JGreene

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1. Both games have autotiling.

2. It's how the edges of certain tiles form/mold together to create a smooth shape instead of looking blocky. There's a certain format for the tiles that the game is able to read and determine how to place them on your maps.

As far as layering goes, you have the option of parallax mapping in both games and/or Doodads in MV.

As with any RPG Maker engine, there are tons of possibilities if you're willing to edit/create resources to suit your needs. MV is definitely the most powerful in that regard.

You can get a trial version of RMXP from
http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/download/free-trials/trial-rpg-maker-xp

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Apparently the pokécommunity doesn't know RPG makers well enough if they can say this.
RMMV has autotiles by default, and it also has a customizable autotile structure with javascripting (but not an easy one).
Layers system, while not being the smartest, is not bad at all in MV. It allows overlays and up to three layers. And as mentioned, you can always opt for parallax mapping, which completely removes any layering limitations, but is time consuming. XP allows four layers, but you have to draw each layer separately, which can be kind of a pain sometimes.
And MV's tiles are limited to 48x48 in the same way XP tiles are limited to 16x16. In other words these limits can be changed, even though you won't see it in the editor.
Also, what exactly is the problem with tiles being limited to 48x48? I don't get their point.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Autotiles in MV are the A1-A4 sheets. They are designed to be able to quickly draw ground and wall layers with the appropriate corner/edging pieces.

I too am unsure of this criticism you are getting. Yes there are some benefits to XP's mapping. But MV has tried to compensate for that with some of the things Poryg mentions.

Further, plugins make it more flexible. For example, there is a plugin that allows you to use tiles that are not 48x48. Yanfly's Doodads plugin can make layering much more flexible.

Use what you want to use.

Seajiha

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also, what exactly is the problem with tiles being limited to 48x48?
Many pokemon-creators like the art-style of older pokemon games that are using tilesizes around 16x16px. However as you have said this can be changed in RMMV.

edit, my bad, ofc xp is using 32x32
--------------
OP: There is layering in RMMV. It is a bit weird. You have no explicit layers in the maker but can freely place almost all tiles above each other using a hidden layering. This needs some acclimatization if you are coming from RMXP but you can create anything pokemon games need with it. And of course you can use events, parallax mapping or import TileD-Maps to enhance the result.

For creating a pokemon-like game RMMV is really the better choice than RMXP - you will need some scripts changing core mechanisms. In xp are nearly forced to do this with events. In VX you must learn pseudo-Ruby and cant change everything. In MV you can use javascript and you can change every single line of code from the base-game. And javascript is easy to learn so users of your starter kit can easily add their own ideas.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Rishi Raj Jain
The official blog has a good tutorial on autotiles construction that should also help understand what autotiles are.
Click on the blog button top right of this site, then search for "anatomy of an autotile".

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Okay, why is everyone saying XP has 16x16 tiles? XP has 32x32 tiles. I'm not even sure it has a script that changes that either, meaning that anyone using 16x16 tiles in XP has sized them up to fit XP's tile settings. Something that's just as easy to do in MV, you just have to go 3x instead of 2x. The only legal to use RM engines that use 16x16 are 2k and 2k3.

XP does have one mapping advantage over MV, and that's the way it does autotiles. In XP every single piece of the autotile image is 32x32. In MV the edges are smaller than the middle, 24x24 in the corners, 24x48 or 48x24 on the sides. This is likely much more relevant to the Pokemon community, because this means it's easier to use rips in XP. The smaller sides makes it harder to look rounded instead of square too. Personally, I just work around that limitation by creating 48x48 tiles of the corners and mapping over the autotile ones.

How are you making a plugin for MV if you don't own it?

Rishi Raj Jain

Pokemon MV Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks Everyone for the Explaination, and @Andar the Blog you suggested ANATOMY OF AN AUTOTILE (VX/ACE) is not good for MV as MV Autotiling is much different as it have 48X48 Tiles.
Okay, why is everyone saying XP has 16x16 tiles?
I have seen some YouTube video showing 32X32 tileset subdived into 16X16 (quarter pieces)
How are you making a plugin for MV if you don't own it?
I said I don't own RMXP, I think you misunderstood.
NOTE : I haven't used RMXP, and I'm not going to Purchase it to find the Answers.

Last edited:

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the Blog you suggested ANATOMY OF AN AUTOTILE (VX/ACE) is not good for MV as MV Autotiling is much different as it have 48X48 Tiles.
No, it is exactly right for MV to understand how they are constructed. Only the dimensions are different so you just need to mentally think 48 where it says 32 and 24 where it says 16.

The youtube video may have been showing that the editor breaks the 32x32 sections of an autotile in 16x16 pieces, just as the blog above does.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, but those 16*16 are quarter tiles, not full tiles. If you followed the directions I gave above you would know the difference (MV uses the same structure for autotiles as VXA, the only difference being that VXA has 16 pixel quartertiles while MV uses 24 pixel quartertiles to construct the autotiles.
XP had a different 16-pixel structure on their autotiles, one that is not compatible with MV or VXA, which means that resizing XP-autotiles does not work in MV. Ace autotiles can be resized for MV however.

Rishi Raj Jain

Pokemon MV Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got a very useful video just to keep in mind that instead of 32 it's 48 and instead of 16 it's 24 for MV

Last edited:

sukoshijon

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
So it looks like you misunderstood us.

We said that MV was primarily autotiled, nothing about it not having them. We also never said anything about 48x48 tiles being a restriction, just that it would make the 16x16 tiles look chunky when scaled up to that resolution.
And MV's layering system is definitely not as good as XP's. To me (and the rest of PokéCommunity) at least.

Rishi Raj Jain

Pokemon MV Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
We also never said anything about 48x48 tiles being a restriction, just that it would make the 16x16 tiles look chunky when scaled up to that resolution.
But there is a high probability that a new community of PokeFan Artists grows, who like HD Tiles and make such for Monster Maker : Pocket Monster edition (i.e. Pokemon Essentials for MV)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Not easy to find DS resources, is it? I need to make a good compilation thread linking to all the artists that do DS...
Spent a whole evening planning Stats, Animations, Abilities of 24 different weapons.. Only to realize I was just Bloating the Game. In the end i decided to stick with only 6.
Haven’t gotten over a mentor’s promotion. He deserves it, but he was the first person to be nice to me at work. It’s been hard for me to let him go.
So its confirmed MZ will have tile size locked at 48x48. So thats extremely lame. Still probably going to get it for the assets but Im gonna pout the whole time.
A friend used to ask why I don't colorize most of my drawings? The answer: I'm colorblind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
studiojap