Avoid ‘boring-ness’ while RPG making

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KayZaman, May 7, 2018.

1. KayZaman

KayZaman Brother-Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, sounds kinda weird but yeah. I was RPG making but suddenly I felt bored and sleepy. About around 30 minutes, I was game-making and my eyes wanna close shut. Could happen to you guy.... maybe.

So, how to avoid boring-ness while RPG making (or VN making). Or maybe there was previous post before this. Thanks.

2. TheMutantSpaceDancer

TheMutantSpaceDancer Maker of Goof 'ems. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Try listening to a silly Twitch Stream or a Podcast while building your game, it'll keep you're ears busy and might even inspire some ideas. But that's what I do at least.

KayZaman likes this.
  3. IguanaGuy

IguanaGuy Developing I.C.B.M. :Unleashed! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you are looking for a quick break - go to the character generator and hit random a few times. You'll get a laugh or two and then go back to project making. I always try to envision everything I do in a real life game scenario. So if I'm making characters, I imagine them in a real movie the way they talk or act. if I am making skills or items, I try to envision what they would really look like in action.

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    get up and move around a bit. If you try to push through it, you'll make it worse.

5. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @KayZaman I do the same as @TheMutantSpaceDancer except with Yugioh The Abridged Series (the humor there is slightly adult, but still gets a smile from me anyway), or turn on a music playlist to listen to.

Finnuval and KayZaman like this.
  6. Isabella Ava

Isabella Ava Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Punch yourself haha :- D try it, it work, punch as hard as you can

Acetonide and KayZaman like this.
  7. Rehjul

Rehjul not a good person Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How exactly do you design your project? Do you plan in out beforehand or create the design on the fly?
    You might want to try scripting out your design beforehand, so that implementing it is that much quicker. Having something playing in the background can also help you focus.

KayZaman likes this.
  8. pandadodod

pandadodod Wannabe of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I also feel sleepy whenever my self feels bored. But I think it's something that we game makers must overcome and be aware that not everytime in game making would be fun ( realistically). There will a point in gam mak like bughunting/ repeating playtesting that will become somewhat boring IMO.

Anyways, it starts with being aware how your body reacts to stuff. And then developing willpower to push through boring-ness.

KayZaman likes this.
  9. Kuro DCupu

Kuro DCupu Responsible for Kitten Mita development Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    IMO : Don't treat it as work. Try to remember why you are doing this, which is probably "because it looks cool and easy". RPG Maker is a game about making an RPG anyway. It's fun.

10. Shikashi

Shikashi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What Shaz said. Try to work for short bursts and take breaks, it helps you keep your concentration. That's what seems to work for me anyway. Otherwise... some loud music might stop you from dozing off ;)

KayZaman likes this.
  11. Tiamat-86

Tiamat-86 old jrpg gamer Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    critical role playing in background

KayZaman likes this.
  12. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

KayZaman likes this.
  13. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Take a break and play a game instead. I tried to work on my game 24/7 when I started out, and after a few weeks of that I found I needed a day off from it as well. So I now take Sundays and just play games instead of work on my game, regardless of what needs being done in my game.

14. shadefoundry

shadefoundry Is Sinistar Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If I get bored with what I'm doing, I move on and work on something else. For example, the majority of the work I've done on my project of late has been database entries, and speaking as someone who's job entails database management as well, it makes me want to cease my existence after a while. So when I start to hate looking at the database, I move on to working on some maps, or dialog. When that's boring I go back to my story work and make sure it all makes sense, refining what does not.

Long and short of it is that if you're bored with one aspect of design you can always move onto another aspect instead. If you're finding you're lacking the motivation to work at all, you should probably take a break.

15. DarkHyudrA

DarkHyudrA Actually I'm Enzonaki Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Remember to never push yourself trough it. Don't have unnecessary stress with your project.
    Take breaks, plan what you want instead of just doing them and when you good to go, get back to work.

KayZaman likes this.
  16. KayZaman

KayZaman Brother-Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    .....wow, that”s a lot of advices. Okay. I’ll try to take a break when I’m getting bored of RPG making. Or make something fun after I get bored or sleep.

Thank you everyone.

17. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I actually tend to find the opposite happens: It's going on 4am and I should sleep, but oh ffs let me finish working all the bugs out of this dungeon, first!

Finnuval likes this.
  18. Countyoungblood

Countyoungblood Sleeping Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ironically avoiding things that bore you and changing to something else is why youre bored so quickly in the first place. Breaks are good but after 30 minutes is pretty soon. If you want to get things done train yourself to focus.

19. D.ray

D.ray Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I somewhat agree with this.

The most important thing is the amount of work you can get done in a period of time, rather than the actual length of time spent on a task. So if you can accomplish a lot of work in 30 minutes and then need a break, that’s fine. It’s better than spending 2 hours on something, but then only getting about 30 minutes of work done in those 2 hours.

However, I still think everyone should train themselves to stay focused on a task for as long as possible. This way you can get even greater benefits.

Here are some other tips to avoid "boredom."

- Drink Coffee. Helps with that energy boost , and I love the taste of coffee anyway.
    - Listen to music, whatever type you enjoy. This can keep you motivated, get you in the zone or further inspire you.
    - Have something to motivate you. Be it another game, your accomplishment, a motivational speech, or whatever you like.
    - Use a clock and set a time limit for a certain task. Nothing motivates you like being on the clock. And it gives you the advantage of staying on task and not wasting time.
    - Splash cold water on your face. If you're feeling sleepy, or lethargic, this will wake you up.
    - Take breaks. It’ll help you from burning out, and keep you fresh.

Other tips

- Be satiated. .Meaning not dying from starvation. It’s hard to focus when you’re hungry.
    - Get sleep. In fact, get as much sleep as possible. Sleep plays a important role in productivity, efficiency, memory , creativity and overall general health. Basically don’t cheat yourself of it, even if you think you can go without it. It doesn’t work.

20. johndfg

johndfg Game Dev Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    When I start getting bored of making my game (usually because I can’t think of any new ideas), usually I’ll take a break from sitting at my computer for a few days. Maybe I’ll watch a few YouTube videos about rpgmaker, check out some past forums, or draw/write out ideas in my head, but I’ll spend way less time thinking about my game during these days. It really helps me get excited to sit down and start working again.