Avy's Icon Workshop [new wind icons]

Aramis-IX

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First of all, I love your work! I admire your patience and attention to detail, and I'm so glad your willing to share the fruits of your labor with us! THANK YOU!!

Secondly, there IS a browser based SpriteSheet tool by Leshy: here. It more or less does the trick with the right settings and a bit of time and Photoshop... It can take any PNG image and define an underlining grid, identify each image/cell within the grid and add spaces between all of the individual cells... then export the new image. For example, your Iconset would require a "Grid Remap" of 24px by 24px; that creates the standard VX Icon grid and identifies all of the icons within the sheet. Then, you would have to set the "Padding" to 8px which adds spaces between all of the individual cells. PRESTO! You have a 32px by 32px grid... Almost...

TWO DOWNSIDES: In creating the "Padding" between cells, the tool reformats the image (i.e.: rearranges the icons to optimize space and filesize); this "feature" cannot be turned off... Also, the "Padding" does not extend to the outside perimeter of the SpriteSheet and thus an additional 8px must be added to both the x and y axes (in Photoshop) to compensate and the sprites must be re-centered in the new grid (in Photoshop) in order to create a true 32px by 32px grid...

Thankfully, I'm a ninja, and I've been developing a method that works around these downsides... It takes some time, but its entirely doable... the resulting SpriteSheet is a little jumbled (due to the rearranging / optimization of the tool), but that too can be mitigated by converting the original SpriteSheet in sections (the theme groupings on the original), instead of all at once, and combining the respective groups later... Anyways, I hope this helps! Cheers Everyone!!

Last edited by a moderator:

AlliedG

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey Avery

Hope you're doing well, glad to see you're still making great looking icons :)

A rather mundane request

I noticed there is no !Switch1 icons for the levers but you can obviously have them without the lever fitted. Would be handy for the puzzle on the map I am currently working on :)

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh... I totally missed to make a 100 likes special. Is it okay when I instead can confirm that I try to get an advent calendar done for this year as well? (Even though it might have different/less content than the one last year)

Here are by the way my icons for good vs evil:

And here's the lever:

I am still exhausted, I had a gread halloween but just waaaay too less sleep.

AlliedG

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Likewise and awesome stuff :D

radiantcross13

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi Avery,

If you have time, I would like to request some icons again, if I may.

Could please do a Crutch icon, you know, what you use when walking with an injured/broken leg, I would use it for the crafting system in my game.: Crutch

And I would also need a gun you craft with it. I found a pretty satisfying picture for you to use as a reference, although I really don't mind if you improvise on this one. The best would be a gun similar to this one with the crutch as the stock of the gun, but with a metal cannon if possible: Here's the reference: Injector Rifle

That woud be much appreciated as always...but of course go with it only if you like and after you get a well deserved rest! :)

KKNTheLegend

Tileset Crafter
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi! I posted a request for some icons but haven't seen any progress or update.
I love your work and would really like to have these in my game.
Do you think you could take a look at the request and let me know if you can help?
Thanks!

Here's the request if you need it:
 "1st: a pile of shining golden sand with some random spots of red and blue.
 2nd: light blue insect wings.
 3rd: a green scarab beetle with a sapphire painted on its back."

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
You just didn't follow the rules.

I have insect wings, the RTP has sand, I have several beetles. This is either a recolor job 

I won't do recolor requests!
or you want something that is really different form those existing ones, but ...

What do you need? - Good description and pictures! If there is no chance to find an image a good description is okay, but a image and just the title isn't!

KKNTheLegend

Tileset Crafter
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Okay, thanks. Sorry about that!

For the beetle, i have the picture and description.
 A green Scarab Beetle with a blue sapphire painted on its back.
 its wings are partly open

(there are currently no beetles with partly opened wings, or in this style).

For the sand, i made a terrible picture, but use your imagination and you'll get the point.
 Shining golden sand, with confetti-like blue and red sparkles and dots embedded in it.
 it shines brightly, and stands alone in a pile.

and finally, a description of the insect wings.
 the shell casing as well as the wing (shell is green, wings are blue)
 there will be two wings (one pair), as well as two small shell casings at the top corner of the wing.
 its shell glimmers in the sun.

i don't know what else to put for the description, please tell me if you need anything more.

I'm trying to follow the rules, sorry for my mistakes. Please let me know if this doesn't qualify for/meet the rules. I'm really grateful for your help.

Liak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Hey Avery!

I resized your IconSet with a method that I think is similar to the one Yanfly used to resize the RTP IconSet. Have a look:

[Link removed, 'cause Avery wanted it.]

I don't know if it's okay to post it here, though. If you want me to remove it, I will. If you happen to like it, well, here you have those awesome icons resized. :)

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
There is also a rule for waiting if your request was refused - because I want the people to read the rules _very_ carefully and I had a lot of trouble and discussions here about that.

Liak, on the last page is my statement about that, no, I don't want that. And I am really going to explode if the MV questions keep being asked after I said so many times that I don't want to support that size at the moment.

I love doing icons and I like to help people, but I clearly say what is okay for me and what not. Why should I force me to things that I don't like doing? And I don't spend so many love and time on those icons to get them blurried by scaling and whatever. Who want to use them in MV can put them in the center of a 32*32 square or on an empty MV icon background and it's fine.

Liak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Avery, I'm sorry to bother you once more with a MV-related question. :( But are we allowed to use upscaled icons ourselves? Because I don't find them blurry at all, and I would love to use them upscaled like that with a proper upscaling method. No pixel of yours is wasted, you see, each one of them is run through the algorithm. :) It's more painty, but not blurry.

Kyuukon

主人公
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm too planning on using the properly re-sized Avy's icons for my project on MV. I can't find the variety and quality for icons elsewhere xD!

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
They don't really need to be re-sized, a border would be good, but even without that they can be re-arranged to fit the new grid without any changes to the graphics at all.

Liak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I don't want to use 24-pixel icons when 32-pixel ones have room. I think it looks bad. Much worse than upscaling them with a proper software. I mean, seriously, look at the Yanfly icon set. Do you really find that blurry? It looks awesome!

Liak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Sure. But I doubt many people are willing to use 24*24 icons in MV. Thus, Avery may render all her hard work irrelevant in about, like, half a year when almost nobody uses VX Ace anymore. And that would be a real shame. :/ The icons are awesome, and there's a GREAT number.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sure. But I doubt many people are willing to use 24*24 icons in MV. Thus, Avery may render all her hard work irrelevant in about, like, half a year when almost nobody uses VX Ace anymore. And that would be a real shame. :/ The icons are awesome, and there's a GREAT number.
People still use RM 2003 and XP today, Ace stuff will be needed and used for many years to come.

Pixel art just doesn't work like it can be upscaled and keep the same look/feeling/aspect.

It may be good enough for you, but that won't be the same as pixel art made specifically in 32x32.

Don't worry about resources. MV is a newborn. There will be new icons made somewhere, sometime.

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Advent calendar information:

(better too early than too late)

I am super busy this year (no comparison to last year), so it seems like there will me definitly less icons in the calendar then last year. Don't be disappointed, I am doing my best.

Besides that, I am trying to make also Big Icons and modular icons for this year.

I have many rough ideas, but I am not sure about everything, so

You are allowes to drop any inspiration here. Themes, Images, everything you'd love to see. Please remember that I can't do everything!

There is no limit, write down what you love to see. Just put your post in a spoiler if it's too image heavy and mark that this isinspiration and no requests so I don't confuse anything.

I am still open for requests, but really slow until the calendar is out. From Decmber 1st to 24th I won't take requests since I bet there is too much mess and I have to keep up with my daily posts.

(For the big icons you can also suggest things of my sheet/the RTP that could be resized)d:

And: The sheets in the startpost won't be updated until December 24th, I am for example completely rearranging the big icons and adding the calendar stuff when it's done because it is a horrifying load of work to do that on one point.

(Who writes about MV icons will be ignored and might loose any chance of asking me for icons. It was more than enough, sorry guys.)

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
More modular icons are always awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Yet another custom skill animation, sometimes i waste too much time on details people will barely notice :kaocry:
Time flies by... already 1/6th of the calendar released :o
Realizing that 2020 is the only year since 2015 that I haven't made a RM game. Maybe I should do a tiny one to keep the streak?
grief... lol... I keep seeing request for MZ versions of MV plugins. this is why I haven't moved over and just MZ for my MV project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACon87