Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oooh, crossbows!  I think they should be used in games more, they were a common tool and very easy to learn compared to the long bow.  Weaker strength though, since it had to stay strung and didn't have a very long bow spring.  Also took longer to reload.

I think my favorite of the weapon sets is . . . the one you haven't released yet.  BD  I think my second is the gold colored ones with the empty spots.  You've got a good range of stuff though, nicely chosen.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yay one of my characters of Escalia is finally getting a crossbow :D thanks Avery!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreadshadow

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like the fire crossbow and the last one. The last is actually maginficent.

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
 ​
 ​
 ​
When I asked what you wante to see for Big Icons I got some responses that modern ones would be useful and so I decided to choose that as topic for a day.​
I used my already done 24*24 icons as base to create them.​
My first thought was the modern equivalent of potions - health restoring icons. Second thing was tools, they make great key item and can also be used as weapons. And not to be missed, this yould also be an option icon^^ They key was essential for modern stuff and this one is just a very basic one so it could be used for any situation where you might need a key (or as Save option in the menu, you know^^) Next is a paperclip. It could be used as very improvised lock picking tool or to craft something (or if you need a piece of wire and this is all you can find or such). Then another thing that could be a menu option - status - oder just be what it is, an ID. The last two might be too specific for a base but they just are my favourites of my modern icons. I realized that now that the icon is larger it would be very easy to add an icon to resemble a game (pokemon or mario would be super easy) to it as kind of cameo.​
 ​
Thank you all for your answers <3 I just don't have the time to write answers every day, but you can be sure that I take notes to remember all the suggestions!​
 ​
1) Are you using Big Icons/considering using them? Why/Why not?
2) What else is needed to have the basic modern icons that would be used in a maker game?

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I love the detail on those, especially the ID and syringe.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I really like the big icons.  It always bugged me that in Ace when you look at something in your inventory it shows a blown up version of the icon.  I'd much rather actually see a nice picture of it.

1.  No, because I'm not making a game.  I will use them when I do, and probably request or make my own versions of every single item in the game so that I can see it nice and big in the menu.  Like it should be.

2. Communication items.  You've got some in the normal size but they'd be nice to have in the large size too.  For the normal sized icons, I don't know.  Glasses?

chalkdust

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I absolutely love every bit of this!

Day 1
What is your favourite option of the set?

I think my favorite item in the set is the skull. Skull key, skull necklace, skull earrings... it's probably the most versatile option that can fit in practically any kind of fantasy setting.

Day 2
Did your favourite equipment set got it's matching crossbow? Which of the missing ones should definitly get one?

It's hard to pick a favorite but I really like the green spiked set and the bone set. FYI, I've created an ABS that can use these crossbows and would be happy to make a little demo showing off how they'd look in game if you want to shoot some arrows at stuff?

Day 3
Are you using Big Icons/considering using them? Why/Why not?

Not presently. I didn't know it was an option, really.

What else is needed to have the basic modern icons that would be used in a maker game?
Forgive me if I overlooked it, but I didn't see a modern-style combat helmet. Something shaped like this (but colored to match your other stuff):
http://www.militaryuniformsupply.com/files/products/a/acu-mich-ach-helmet-cover.jpg

Looking forward to seeing more of your awesome work!

Dreadshadow

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
 ​
 ​
 ​

​
1) Are you using Big Icons/considering using them? Why/Why not?
2) What else is needed to have the basic modern icons that would be used in a maker game?
All of them are exccelent. But the key is really REALLY exceptional. It shines and it has a good metal feeling.

1] It depends. I am not sure where or when I can use such icons but since I have VX Ace with Luna Engine, they might be handy.

2] What would be useful... well... let me see...

Do you remember the desk and documents and files you made for the iconset? These seem a good add on.

Rations, tools like a crowbar, a lath hammer, wood planks and nails, a hammer, keys of any kind that unlock modern doors, a fire extinguisher, scraps of paper, written pages of paper, torn pages of books or notes, toys, old torn toys.

In general, in my opinion, what is needed is stuff you can use to support storytelling flow.

Like:

You found a key/keycard to unlock the next room.

You found a tool to break the next door.

You found a note that unravels a part of the past of a story.

Feel free to take these ideas also for the 32x32 sheet of yours, if things are not included. I do not request anything really, but if you find it fun to work on some of these suggestions, then why not?

For your reference, because lath hammer might be uncommon to you, it is a carpenter's tool, helful to cut wood planks in half, take out nails from wood planks and stuff like that.

Pictures that can help you design one, follow in the spoiler.

@Avery as always, you make incredible artwork! Can't wait to see the next day's posts. :guffaw:

Typical lath hammer

A carpenter who makes a a wooden boat inner chasis, holding a lath hammer.

If you put the lath this way, and rotate the handle to the left, the iron lath part will lift the nail out of the plank. ;)

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
 ​
 ​
 ​
Full set including all previous parts:​
 ​
Back to basics^^ Swords are by far the most use weapons in RPGs and because of that this is the weapon that needs the most variation, especially when you have different cultures and such in your game it is weird if all of them uses the same sword type (and your party buys them in local stores). This set was create to fill those needs and its expansion allows an even wider variety so you can easily create a sword for any culture​
The last rows are some rapier parts that were requeste here a while ago and I fogot to add to the sheet.​
And as you can see, two more options per row compared to the other day, so you get 10 blaes and handles instead of 8 today \o/​
 ​
Put together your favorite sword(s) and show them here in the thread! (The no repost rule doesn't affect this)

gloopmaster

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
For the crossbows (I know this was a couple days ago): I'd say the "spooky" wooden set above the water set and below the black-and-red set should get one.

And for something a bit more recent: Swords! You say to add our favorite sword combos to the thread, so here are mine:

Really like the two blades with the gold bits. The larger one reminds me of a holy greatsword from some game, but I can't quite place it...

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Those swords are so neat; I'm liking this modular idea a lot. It really is giving you more icons for your time.

Dreadshadow

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, that means 31 x 33 = 1023 different possible swords. Wow.

It is fantastic how modular sets have such exponentional increase of possibilities as you add stuff to them. :)

This modular set is a GREAT tool for us.

Thanks Avery! They look fantastic and indeed blades are really in demand! :p

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
So, that means 31 x 33 = 1023 different possible swords. Wow.

It is fantastic how modular sets have such exponentional increase of possibilities as you add stuff to them. :)

This modular set is a GREAT tool for us.

Thanks Avery! They look fantastic and indeed blades are really in demand! :p
And that is ignoring coloration. It is extremely cool and useful. I haven't actually gotten around to using them though (Icons can always be added at the end of a project, and I have only finished one game and it was in a different art style).

Busy day today, but I will try to see what I can do do with the new ones tomorrow.

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
 ​
 ​
This day should be called "modern stuff I failed at before", at least the first four. Really xD I always wante to make such a phone but I ever failed at the keys and deleted it again. I already made an USB stick, but when I looked at it again I just wanted to try to do it better, same is with the pills^^; A dollar note was also tried (and failed) several times, but hey, sometimes it just isn't the right time and not I got it (I hope so). My old cam also was "not the yellow from the egg" how you'd say in German, not the best way how that icon could've been made. So I made a simple Digicam that could be used and afforded by any tope of modern character^^ The bags are more random, just more variety so you can easier add bags to any type of modern char (in fantasy a normal bag is okay, but in modern everyone has a different style xD). The last one is a ammo box. I wanted to make a shotgun version, too, but I am not even sure if this box looks legit enough^^ Again, this is a Resident Evil inspired item^^​
 ​
What type of game in a modern setting would you make in RM/do you make in RM/would you love to see maden in RM?

Answers:

@BonBon:

Day 1:Ah, it was supposed to be a sword, but at that size you can barely tell, it could be a dagger or just a random shape as well ;3 I think the classic key is also the most useful part of the sets, there are more games with keys than with many accessoirs^^

Day 2: I always forget about the time gap^^ I am posting at 0:00 here right before I go to sleep because I never know how much time I'll have during the day^^ Ah, the demonish set. Well well, maybe...

@Nio:

Day1: Thank you^^

@Sharm:

Day 1: Ah, that's a nice combination^^

Day 2: Aaaah, how could you know that there is a set in one of the days? D: ;3 I tried my best to balance the doors a little, also sorted them in the end so that there are not too similar things in follwing days^^ Well, maybe now we see more games with crossbows?

Day 3: I have the same problem, I have no project to use them. I had one, but then I started doing icons for it and never continued^^; Communication is a good point, I think that will be fixed soon *looks on her calendar overview* I'd be highly interested to see what kind of project you'd some up with^^

@MsLittlefish:

Day 1: Thank you very much x3 If it wasn't so stressful December would be my favourite month^^

@Vox Novus:

Day 1: Really? I haven't played Kingdom hearts so far, so I have no idea that something in the set might be close to any items there xD

Day 2: Well, at least now there is enough variation so you can change it ;3 Is this project still active?

Day 4: They take longer than normal icons but it is worth it. The main reason is that people can easily put together somehthing that matches any situation without having going through hundreds of swords to find the perfect one^^

@Kyuukon

Day 1: Yeah, the heart is also one of my favourite pieces^^

@Dreadshadow:

Day 1: You can imagine how hard it was to come up with things in that size that actually can be shaded a little^^ I am glad you like the set.

Day 2: The ice one? It was really fun to come up with the designs, even though they are all close to the matching bows as you can imagine^^

Day 3: Oh wow, that is a lot, thank you!

Day 4: You forgot to add the colors, 31(baldes) * 33 (handles) * 6 (gold, contained in every handle) *6 (silver, containe in every blade) + even more because some of the parts also contain red = far beyond 37.000 possibilities ;3

@radiantcross:

Day 2: Awww, thanks^^

topar:

Day 2:oh stop it you ^//^

@BCj:

Day 2: Wow, I say there are too few games wit Crossbows and instantly there is one :D Cool thing I'm looking forward to that^^

@Ralpf:

Day 3: Thank you^^ The syringe is also one of my favourites of that day.

Day 4: You just ninjad me^^ I was writing the answer to dreadshadow when you message popped up. And yes, I'd also highly encourage to use placeholders if you don't find the perfect stuff in time, I heard of so many projects that were given up just because of few missing resources.

@chalkdust:

Day 1: Somehow nearly all of my sets get an skull option :D And yes, that's something really basic for fantasy, I guess that's why it's like that^^

Day 2: Oh yes, it would be really cool to see them in game!

Day 3: Well, it wasn't an option until last Febuary^^ And yes, that was really something I did't think ybout before

@gloopmaster:

Day 4: Hehe, some of those parts are also my favourites^^ I don't know, I don't play that many games so I can't recall any with such blades, but I am glad you liked them^^

@Foxy:

Day 4: With different colors the last option was also one of fine favourites :D Thank you for showing them <3

The Infamous Bon Bon

Executive Geek
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Day 3 - I just haven't had a need for big icons yet, but it's nice to have the option.  :)

Day 4 - I love the new modular sword pieces.  The sixth one reminded me of the sword you made for the members plus pirates set.

Day 5 - Really digging all the new modern icons, though I'm not much of a gun person so I don't know if you got the bullets looking right.

As for modern games I'm going to start working on a game for my kids that is set in modern times to teach them math, so it will have school stuff and festivals and maybe some other things.  I kinda want to use that pirate ship so maybe I can come up with some excuse to have pirates in a math game.

I'd like to see a RM game that is reminiscent of the Percy Jackson books, but not the movie because I hated that or a game like the Cassandra Claire's Mortal Instrument series.

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Avery

Day 1-The main character uses a large key as a weapon (keyblade) and you customize it by changing the chains attached to it. The pairing of the heart with the old style ring key kinda made me think of it; a different thing though to be sure.

Day 2-Not currently active, no although I have about five hrs of gameplay on it done which is roughly half way. I'd like to go back to it at some point considering what I've invested in it. A lot of the art I initially did for it is poor to what I can do now as it was some of the first digital art I did. I've been keeping this in mind as I've made battlers re-doing some of them to save me from doing them later when I go back to it. I'll have to switch to your icon set when I do as those crossbows are perfect for my engineering/technician archer guy.

Day 4-I imagine so, but the combinations pay off for it in spades. Got to figure out many! Let's wrangle Bgillisp to do some permutation or combination mathematics up in here!

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just wanted to say that I never can answer what's your favorite "X" question, because I really love all of your graphics!  They always look awesome and really inspires me to work even harder on my graphics.

radiantcross13

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I really dig the new modular swords (even though I'm not really into fantasy stuff anymore)...the modern icons are again a boon for my current project and always quite appreciated!

I would like to give feedback that is actually useful for once, but it's hard when I'm at a loss for words!

Once again, thumbs up to you Avy! :thumbsup-left: :thumbsup-right:  

cygnus flamel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses

A Little late to the party. I know that my swords seems a Little uninspiring compared with the ones already posted but this ones are intended to be part of the "generic" weapons. I also added a small recolor of the cameo and a key necklace created combining the keys modular icons and the jewelry one. In my game the main protagonists uses a key necklace and it is a small but nice detail that is part of her character, i tried to créate it this way but it obviously doesnt fit and i tried simply reducing its dimesions but it looks awful so i suppose that i will just put the necklace behind the key.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've just checked my account balance...
Here's the graveyard area I'm currently working on for another small project! (This is actually an RPG and not a puzzle game for once)
In the strangest turn of events, my animations now live in the characters folder, and my character images now live in the pictures folder. It's a complicated world, but weirdly a more resource efficient one. :LZSexcite:
Did you know that we use robotic spy animals to learn about how different species behave in the wild? We're only a step away from robotic spy humans, and then Terminator. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AikoKurasu