Yappy Monoxide

The Yappiest Yap Yapp you will ever Yap
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi everyone. So since I've been asking for help with quite a few scripts recently I thought I'd show what I've been using them for.

Awaken Class 217

pls don't judge

Plot

You think that High School or even Elementary School hold the craziest moments of your life? ha ha well you're wrong.

Awaken Class 217 takes place in Northstar Middle school a place where a everything is in complete chaos. Grab your pencils, your paper, your computer, your sports gear and join your friends in an epic battle against the staff....or...something else? Perhaps the School isn't the thing you should be the most worried about.

After defeating most of the school our characters, Marc, Tyler, Roosevelt, And Skylar make their way to their end goal. Only to find out that their adventure is FAR from over. Discovering a long, tucked away curse hidden in their school. They let loose their worst nightmares and fears. And even more insanity.

Features

SideView Battles

Combinations to get you out of sticky situations

An Original Story

An Original Cast

Underground Secrets

Proving your Worth

Side Quests

Journal System

Mouse Support Convenience

Epic Title/Gameover Screens

Character Development

Multiple Endings

The NotsoGreat Outdoors

Zero Safety!

And More!

Screenshots (UPDATED!)

1.jpgAwaken Class 217 Alpha 8_18_2016 9_15_51 PM.pngAwaken Class 217 Alpha 8_18_2016 9_17_45 PM.pngAwaken Class 217 Alpha 8_18_2016 9_22_59 PM.png5.jpg
Improvments.jpg
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 4.jpg
Screenshot 5.jpg

Last edited:

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there, congrats on starting your first project!
I know how hard it is to get started on a game - it's even harder to finish one!
I love the idea of being a student at school uncovering a dark secret XD that lends itself to a lot of cool ideas and mechanics.
However, your maps leave a lot to be desired. The more you work at it, the better you will become!
Try not  to have too much empty space, get rid of some of the tall grass tiles, add more flowers/trees.
The screen where the 3 party members are standing inside the school is very strange - I can't really make out where you're supposed to be, and the way the tiles are set up is disorientating.
I hope you don't take these criticisms harshly - I am no expert myself, just wanted to leave my comments.
I'll be following this topic - I look forward to see you finishing your game! If you need help playtesting, just let me know =]

EDIT: Just saw the really tiny text "Please don't judge" XD

Last edited by a moderator:

Yappy Monoxide

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I know how hard it is to get started on a game - it's even harder to finish one!
@GoodSelfTRUE

I love the idea of being a student at school uncovering a dark secret XD that lends itself to a lot of cool ideas and mechanics.
Thanks! I've had the idea of having a game take place in a school for a while. A long time before I got Rpg Maker. Honestly I thought the plot I wrote down was terrible XD. But I guess it wasn't. As for Mechanics, You are very right. I have a SO many ideas and mechanics to implement. So far so good. Except I am having trouble finding scripts to do a certain mechanic I need. 

However, your maps leave a lot to be desired. The more you work at it, the better you will become!
Try not to have too much empty space, get rid of some of the tall grass tiles, add more flowers/trees.
I'm still working on the maps quite a bit. Going back alot and tinkering with things. Think of the grass area you saw as like a first draft of a story. It's good, but you could do alot of things better.

The screen where the 3 party members are standing inside the school is very strange - I can't really make out where you're supposed to be, and the way the tiles are set up is disorientating.
 That's the front exit which, Unfortunately, Is blocked off. Could you explain how the tiles are disorienting so I can fix it?

I hope you don't take these criticisms harshly - I am no expert myself, just wanted to leave my comments.
OMG YOU CRITICIZED MY WORK OMG YYYYYYYY? Jk XD I'm ok with criticism, it good to help me improve things. Just don't a complete Jerk about it. Which thankfully you weren't. :)

I'll be following this topic - I look forward to see you finishing your game! If you need help playtesting, just let me know =]
YAY! And I'll certainly keep you in mind for playtesting. Once I finish up a few things I post a demo on here.

EDIT: Just saw the really tiny text "Please don't judge" XD
XD Its ok. :p

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Interesting idea. I do agree the maps need some work, though, is the reason they are so empty is you are leaving room in case you need it later? If so I say leave it, just maybe post the less empty maps in the screenshots.

Anyways, curious how this one ends up.

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here are my thoughts and tips for that scene you posted, once again, please don't take this the wrong way! =]

BLUE: I'm not sure why you're using the carpet texture - it doesn't appear anywhere else on this map, and throws me off a little.
YELLOW: Again, another tile that doesn't appear anywhere else - I'm assuming this is the the floor used right before the gate, but it clashes with the wood and stone.
RED: Another type of wall that doesn't match other walls on the map, which is somewhat confusing.

One more, don't hate me XD

PINK: What is the purpose of these bricks? I'm assuming you're using them as walls or pillars, but I can't really make out what their purpose is.
GREEN: These are the locked gates I'm assuming?
ORANGE: A lot of empty space here - maybe you're planning on adding more later?

After looking more closely at the map, I believe that the red bricks are the walking pathway that leads to a room with the beige carpet.
However, since there are a lot of different tiles, It's hard to tell at first glance.
Might I ask why you use the stone tile? It's normally used as a walking tile, and it looks odd to me.

Once again I want to say that you're doing a great job here - posting your project and receiving bad feedback can be a real bummer, believe me, if you saw my first game, you would laugh! But I see a lot of potential here, and I hope you keep at it!

Yappy Monoxide

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Interesting idea. I do agree the maps need some work, though, is the reason they are so empty is you are leaving room in case you need it later? 
@bgillispWhich maps do you consider empty? The one @GoodSelf mentioned? Or another?

Here are my thoughts and tips for that scene you posted, once again, please don't take this the wrong way! =]

BLUE: I'm not sure why you're using the carpet texture - it doesn't appear anywhere else on this map, and throws me off a little.
YELLOW: Again, another tile that doesn't appear anywhere else - I'm assuming this is the the floor used right before the gate, but it clashes with the wood and stone.
RED: Another type of wall that doesn't match other walls on the map, which is somewhat confusing.
Blue: The Carpet is meant to signify the transition to the outside areas.

Yellow: I don't really remember why I put that there. It does look odd, I'm removing it. 

Red: This game is inspired by my real life middle school. (Except for all the crazy ****) So the maps are designed to be a bit similar. The reason you see that, is because that is part of the main office in the next room. 

One more, don't hate me XD

PINK: What is the purpose of these bricks? I'm assuming you're using them as walls or pillars, but I can't really make out what their purpose is.
GREEN: These are the locked gates I'm assuming?
ORANGE: A lot of empty space here - maybe you're planning on adding more later?

After looking more closely at the map, I believe that the red bricks are the walking pathway that leads to a room with the beige carpet.
However, since there are a lot of different tiles, It's hard to tell at first glance.
Might I ask why you use the stone tile? It's normally used as a walking tile, and it looks odd to me.

Once again I want to say that you're doing a great job here - posting your project and receiving bad feedback can be a real bummer, believe me, if you saw my first game, you would laugh! But I see a lot of potential here, and I hope you keep at it!
XD I don't. 

Pink: As you stated in your edit. You are correct. But It always felt a bit weird to me. Its gone. I don't know if i'll put something else there or just the basic floor tile.

Green: Yes. They're screwed. 

Orange: As I stated, this is inspired. But I never really attention that space. I just thought of it as a normal space. Where you could either go to other parts of the school or outside. But you did make me think and It did look a bit dead. I added a couple things. Hopefully that spruces things up. Maybe I'll add more. 

Stone Tile: THE SCHOOL ORDERED TO MANY FLOOR TILES AND THEY'RE ON AN EXTREMELY LOW BUDGET. 

Xd all jokes aside. I felt that the ceiling tiles just didn't fit the scene very well. So I thought. "Hey! Maybe I can re-purpose some of the floor tiles!" 

I will keep at it.

Version 2: 

Showcase.png

Do you think its better? Or is it missing something? EDIT Just realised I made an error with coloring.

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Do you think its better? Or is it missing something? EDIT Just realised I made an error with coloring.

Yeah it's look a lot more cohesive now! I can easily tell those are doorways now, and seeing the same path tile helps me visually see that I can walk through there.
Nice job editing this.
Another thing to keep in mind, a big wide open school might be great in real life, but in RPG Maker, empty space is a turn-off. There's nothing wrong with being inspired though =] 

Nice work Yappy - I can't wait to play the demo my friend! PM me anytime!

Yappy Monoxide

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah it's look a lot more cohesive now! I can easily tell those are doorways now, and seeing the same path tile helps me visually see that I can walk through there.
Nice job editing this.
Daniel_Bryan_YES.gif

Another thing to keep in mind, a big wide open school might be great in real life, but in RPG Maker, empty space is a turn-off. There's nothing wrong with being inspired though =] 
Duly Noted. I have a couple of maps to resize now. If you thought that map was big. You have no idea.

Nice work Yappy - I can't wait to play the demo my friend! PM me anytime!
Gotcha.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Don't feel too bad. My first attempt at my project I had the *brilliant* idea to make the first house a 90 x 90 map. Let's just say it didn't work out well, and the biggest complaint I got on my demo was how big that house was.

As for the empty maps, I thought they all were a tad empty (the restroom's a hair big, the outside map seemed bare, couldn't tell in the dungeon due to the shadows). One thing that might help is to decide early on what dimensions a interior tile is. Most people I know consider one inside tile to represent 3 feet x 3 feet (this is based on the size of the default bed being 2 tiles high and 1 tile wide, and most beds are at least 6 feet long). If you use that and compare it with most schools you know, that should help you size the maps better. From there, fudge it a few tiles depending on how many events you have in it.

Still, just remember it's a learning process. We all make this mistake at least once I think.

Yappy Monoxide

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Don't feel too bad. My first attempt at my project I had the *brilliant* idea to make the first house a 90 x 90 map. Let's just say it didn't work out well, and the biggest complaint I got on my demo was how big that house was.

As for the empty maps, I thought they all were a tad empty (the restroom's a hair big, the outside map seemed bare, couldn't tell in the dungeon due to the shadows). One thing that might help is to decide early on what dimensions a interior tile is. Most people I know consider one inside tile to represent 3 feet x 3 feet (this is based on the size of the default bed being 2 tiles high and 1 tile wide, and most beds are at least 6 feet long). If you use that and compare it with most schools you know, that should help you size the maps better. From there, fudge it a few tiles depending on how many events you have in it.

Still, just remember it's a learning process. We all make this mistake at least once I think.
Ouch. Its a good thing I posted this on here. Thanks for the advice.

Now for the empty maps. 

The Bathroom: I don't exactly know how to make it look smaller. That's the smallest size Ace can do.

Outside: I updated it. Hopefully it feels a bit more alive.

Showcase v2.jpg

Dungeon?: That was actually just a testroom I decorated. Don't want to show off too many maps. xD

Yappy Monoxide

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Unfortunately, I have been thrown off track because of mapping issues. Sorry guys, the demo is going to take longer to put out. :(

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unfortunately, I have been thrown off track because of mapping issues. Sorry guys, the demo is going to take longer to put out. :(

I'm sure your new maps will look great!  :D

Yappy Monoxide

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I should update the screenshots...

Yappy Monoxide

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have updated the screenshots.

Yappy Monoxide

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So, It's been about, I dunno 6-7 months since I've last updated this thread? ...yup...quite a while. Well, I feel like I should talk a little bit about the game's development. For the most part, the story has had a huge change made to it, which has caused major setbacks. I guess I should mention what exactly I changed, and it's really just one big thing. Characters from other games being inserted into the story. Let me explain. This game has been an idea for approximately 3 1/2 years and an actual game in development for about 2 years. It actually first started out in Stencyl as an ambitious game waiting to be developed by someone who had absolutely no experience in code or game making at all. A couple months come by and I notice that this game making engine called Rpg Maker Vx Ace. I downloaded it to try it out and I loved it. I loved how easy it was to use and the vast amount of free resources that were available for me to download. I realized that this could be a huge opportunity for me so when Rpg Maker Vx Ace was on sale for $7 I had to pick it up. And so since then, the game has been in development since then. Mostly going slow with and occasional pick up in speed. There were times that I didn't work on it all for months and the game slowly began to rot. Then, recently I started working on it again and I was creating cutscenes and forming the main cast's personalities I realized that this should be its own game. There were many plans to have characters from other games make an appearance or be heavily involved in the story. I won't name them since remembering the old plot makes me cringe and it would probably make you all cringe as well. Thinking about the story more and more, I decided to remove these appearances from the game. The game already had a lot of originality to work with, I didn't have to ruin that originality by adding in characters that didn't even need to be there in the first place to tell a good story. The cost of doing this however, has drastically slowed down development. I now have multiple plot holes I have to fill, text I need to clean up, sprites and dungeons I have to remove or revise; It's quite a chore to do. But, I'm staying with my choice and I'm pretty sure I can work these problems out. And, since I haven't shown anything on the game in awhile. (Mostly because I've been prepping to release a demo in the next coming months. That's if school and my family don't eat me alive.) I'm going to post a few more screenshots and maybe a tech test demo that I have on desktop. Of course, I need to clean it up a bit but I should get it up shortly. My thanks goes out to my friends and the people who have provided support and suggestions to make the game better. I will make sure that that doesn't go waste. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So I have a lighter work schedule next week. Is that a sign to move on to MZ?
I got a new rpg idea yesterday, titled "The Hero We Summoned to Save Us is a War Criminal from our Past?!"
Work on Yanfly's MZ plug-ins is coming along nicely. Looking forward to getting them: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Core_Engine_VisuStella_MZ
so uh variables can only be used for num lol? I guess I gotta fix that once MZ come out lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BM_ANDERSON