Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Babel
A dialog system for RPG Maker MV

Babel is a dialogue system made to program cutscenes without even opening RPG Maker!
It allows you to keep all your dialogues in a text file, and to spruce them up with commands like "show this picture" or "change the value of this variable".
You then call the cutscene through a simple script call, turning a script like this...
1579717138048.png
Into an in-game cut-scene:
1579717331628.png
Basically it's Ren'py, but it's also RPG Maker.

File structure
I want this plugin to be easy to use for writers, so I decided to use the same terminology of choose-your-own-adventure books.

Each cutscene is called a Book.
Each book can contain an infinite amount of numbered Pages.
Each page can have an infinite amount of dialogues and/or special commands (show this picture! change this variable!)

The plugin act as a librarian of sorts for your library of cutscenes. When you call it through a script call, it fetches you the book you asked, and starts reading the commands in order from the page you want.
Page numbers are used to handle show choices commands. Do you choose to help this stranger? Jump to page 6! Do you choose to ignore him? Jump to page 10!
This system allows you to create complex dialog trees without the need to create events with a dozen pages.

I originally made this dialog system for my own game, Selling Sunlight. Babel currently exist as a mess of common events and script calls, but I have been working to transform it into a proper plugin and to make it usable by the general public.

The plugin currently supports the following commands:
  • Display text
  • Show picture
  • Show choices
  • Select Key Item
  • Change Items
  • Control Switch
  • Control Variable
  • Controls related to Galv's Quest System (mark a quest as completed/failed/etc)
My next steps include:
  • Adding more event commands
  • Add support for facesets
I'd love to know which dialogue-related plugins you folks consider a must, so I can add support for them as well.
Other thoughts/requests/comments are also welcome.

\m/​

standardplayer

Keeper of Kitties
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ohh!! This is really cool! I'm actually programming something like this for someone else, and that was one of my first 'must haves'- make it so you can edit it outside of RPG Maker. This is really cool, good job!

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
will you consider to add in sound command
because I use it a lot a long the cutscene

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is really creative. Nice work!

ImaginaryVillain

Obviously the "Hero" of Light!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Event Gibberish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This excites me greatly, MV's message system is well.... Terrible. And this saves me having to mess with something similar I was doing with events. :LZSexcite:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

World Of Final Fantasy Livestream~!
(Ft. Kaliga)
So my office building has 8 individually rented offices in it; 3 of which are social workers and 2 are marriage therapists... Unsurprisingly it always sound very angry out there. Glad I have my own private entrance. :LZSexcite: :thumbsup-right:
I wonder if there's ever been an art challenge that involves drawing faces from the generator.
I'm sorry about earlier. I have the most hate and the most love for my art at the same time. Felt bad about my thread because I wasn't listening, and because I made it out of a bad mindset to begin with. S'another Thursday for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scrollstorm