"Back Buttons"

DogeWorm

That Insomniac
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So in RPG Maker VX ACE, I've been working on a guild system, and it has a bunch of "show choice" commands. The problem is, I don't work with loops that often, so I can't figure out how to make it so that when I press the back button it goes to the previous choices. Can anyone help me with this?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've moved this thread to Ace Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Can you show us screenshots of one of your events? Its a bit difficult to guide if you don't know where the person wants to go.

For example I wouldn't use loops for this, but labels in most cases - but which solution is best depends on how many options there are and what the structure is in general.

Loops are better for simple choices with limited options, labels are better (but also more difficult to use) for multi-level-decisions.

Dark_Metamorphosis

What a horrible night to have a curse.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
I think Yanfly has a script where you can set button presses to call common events: Its pretty easy and possible to event that with keypresses and loops, but it steps over that boundry so you dont have to. I'm not sure if you can customize so that the keypresses are only available at a specific event, but I guess it should be possible. 

If you have no problem with setting up the keyfunctions then I agree with Andar, that labels seems to be what you want to go for. Add conditional branches for the keypress inside the common event and add labes on each sections of the choices, and add jump to labels accordingly.

Edit: Also realised that my statement was pretty stupid... If you use the choices commands adding keypresses to act as a back button function is not necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

DogeWorm

That Insomniac
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm sorry but I think you misunderstood. This is using the "show choice" command and I have a choice named back. What I want this to do if you select it is to bring you back to the previous "show choice" command. I'm wondering if I can use loop to do this but so far I haven't progressed. :(

Or it's just that I'm too noob to understand what you're trying to say. 

Dark_Metamorphosis

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
I'm sorry but I think you misunderstood. This is using the "show choice" command and I have a choice named back. What I want this to do if you select it is to bring you back to the previous "show choice" command. I'm wondering if I can use loop to do this but so far I haven't progressed. :(

Or it's just that I'm too noob to understand what you're trying to say. 

Yes, It was I that got it wrong, didnt realize first that you are using the show choice commands.

What you need to do, for an example:

Use the show choices command with a branch (Its listed in the "when cancel" list to the right. All the way at the bottom).

So if you add a label before the choice commands you want it to jump to lets name it: Jump to Choices 1.

Then add a jump to label, and chose the specific label in question in the when cancel branch on the other show choices command.

Input your choices like normal, and then when you get to the specific choice command and press cancel the label will trigger and take you back to the start of the other show choices command.

I could make an example for you if anything I say is pretty confusing.

DogeWorm

That Insomniac
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'll try doing what you recommended and if I can't get it well then I'm too stupid

Dark_Metamorphosis

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
I'll try doing what you recommended and if I can't get it well then I'm too stupid

Nah man, it takes some time to get used to dont worry about it. 

I do however embrace that you try to work it out yourself, cause you will learn much about it in the process. If you can't figure it out I'll try and help you further :)

DogeWorm

That Insomniac
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Alright I just tried it and it actually worked!!! Thanks so much!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is using the "show choice" command and I have a choice named back. What I want this to do if you select it is to bring you back to the previous "show choice" command. I'm wondering if I can use loop to do this
No, you shouldn't use loops in this case

If the back option is inside the show choice, then using a loop requires a lot of logic design, because different loops can't cross themselves.

In such a case, the labels are a lot easier - make a label before each choice command, and inside the back button place a go to label to the correct label.

orochii

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
This is the basic idea. Also I'm sorry, even if I don't want/care my editor puts itself in Spanish.

But let's learn some basic Spanish! (?).

"Mostrar elecciones" = Show choices.

"Cuando [option name]" = When [option name]

"Ciclo" = Cycle / Loop cycle (I don't remember how was it called in English)

"Romper ciclo" = Break cycle/loop

Technically what I'm doing is using cycles. The other way to do this is by using labels. More basic spanish!

"Etiqueta" = Label

"Ir a etiqueta" = Go to label

I prefer using labels because of personal taste, because they always behave as I hope them do (also I don't know if you can nest one loop inside another, label loops on the other hand can). But cycles are a little easier.

I hope this helps you, salut!

DogeWorm

That Insomniac
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks to all of you, I only felt the need tot use loops because I heard it on an unreliable source (looks at the internet) so I thought that was how you were supposed to use it.Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've been experimenting with improved memory management again, which allowed me to include items to increase player path length. These are both 44 grid spaces long, and stable. :LZSexcite:
I FINALLY DID IT! 5 years making my very first game and I just officially released it on STEAM..... OMG..... I can say I finished a game! The feelings!!!!!
Stream will be live shortly! I am going to be playing some Among Us! Feel free to drop by!
Ami
tv program always get the ratings (it's the reason why drama series has 1000+ episode),also full and nonsense of censorship (weird blur, a scene getting cut because the unconvenient viewer,but it unconvenient to me either. you never see what the original is)

i know the reason is to take cover the viewer from the negative thing,but i just laughing and mocking of them that they're always suck :guffaw:
Star Chart Idea - Just something I am working on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kleik