Liandra Aura

Game Director
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there one? I know you could do it with Yanfly scripts in RMVX/ACE but it doesn't seem like hes transferred Active Battlers over to the new engine yet.

For those who don't know:
Basically your characters are just above the status window at the bottom, facing the enemy crowd. When you take an action, the character sprite takes a step up and performs their action before returning to their original location. This battle setup was used in games like Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and Legends 1-3.

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I have a plugin that lets you fake a back view system using the side view system, basically it just overrides the step directions and allows you to reposition the actors. Should be compatible with Yanfly's Battle Engine Core, too. You'll still need your own animated sprites to suit the new perspective. Link in case you're interested: view/download Cae_BattleStepY (Google Drive).

In case it helps, this post has a couple of suggestions for position formulae:
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/caethyrils-plugins.106255/#post-976172

Last edited:

Liandra Aura

Game Director
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I actually installed yours and I like it but I haven’t done extensive testing with yanfly’s battle core yet. Thank you for your response! I was thrilled when I saw your thread!

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Great, hope it works out! :kaothx:

tiabuni

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Banana
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a plugin that lets you fake a back view system using the side view system, basically it just overrides the step directions and allows you to reposition the actors. Should be compatible with Yanfly's Battle Engine Core, too. You'll still need your own animated sprites to suit the new perspective. Link in case you're interested: view/download Cae_BattleStepY (Google Drive).

In case it helps, this post has a couple of suggestions for position formulae:
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/caethyrils-plugins.106255/#post-976172
Hey! I am using your plugin, and was able to position the playable critter exactly where I wanted her by editing the default X and default Y anchor settings in the YEP_BattleEngineCore plugin, as pictured below (I am refering to the critter sitting atop the menu ^-^) :

XbEDu09.png

So, I wanted to ask if there is a way to make the critter disappear when attacking, casting magic, etc? Hm... Kind of like how it works in Phantasy Star 4 (never played the others)? So I can make animations including the critter's sprite.

Also, this is less important at the moment, but the animations of attacks coming from enemies target the HUD (which can be seen at the bottom of the monitor thingy in the screenshot), which makes sense since front view battles usually don't have sideview sprites, but it looks odd nonetheless. If there is no solution, that is okay, I can roll with it.

I was going for a side view perspective instead, having the critter positioned in the actual level the player was currently exploring, but positioning her precisely in different X and Y coordinates in every single different fight is proving to be way, way more troublesome than it could ever possibly be rewarding.

Thank you and sorry to bother! :x

Last edited:

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

@tiabuni, please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

So, I wanted to ask if there is a way to make the critter disappear when attacking, casting magic, etc?
This is a separate request. Cae_BattleStepY simply repositions battlers and changes move directions. :kaoslp:

I think Yanfly's Action Sequences can affect battler opacity/visibility, so that may be a solution:
Otherwise you can start a new thread to request a plugin with the appropriate features, that is compatible with Yanfly's Battle Engine Core~

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

aww man, color hex code #C4C4C4 doesn't work for the tint value in this scene I need something darker, which stinks just because I liked that one it was my favorite plastic explosive three times...#696969 (nice) should work better (WHY IS MY BRAIN LIKE THIS)
Tell it to me straight, doc. If I've been trying to piece together a "shorter" game to learn stuff outside of game jams... am I just running away from my WIP? :v
Well, I've got a party tomorrow, and my friends are coming over. I wanted to work a bit on the Fandom Scouts assets so I can be ready when that update arrives... in other news, Pizza Time Horror is getting a second teaser, and it shows Cabaret Helen's last performance before the location closed.
Also who used to be scared of Chuck E as a kid? I was! Now I love him!
The new cards and what they do:

(I am clearly not a youtuber... Haha)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gaato