Background Picture gets stuck! What do I do?

Discussion in 'Visual Novel Maker Support' started by mardin, Nov 13, 2019.

1. mardin

mardin "...pretty please?" Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I have a problem with my game. I am using a hell lot of background pictures (currently more than 800), often times switching between them within' a loop.

From time to time after a solid amount of playtime, it can be that a picture gets stuck in the background. From there on, the picture is often times there when you fade to black or change the background again and disturbs the experience.

It can happen all the time, but it mostly happens when my players use the fast forward button.

How do I fix that?

2. Kentou

Kentou Admin Veteran

Hi mardin, you have 800 backgrounds in just one scene at the same time loaded? That would be a little bit too much. But from the description of your issue, I remember a similar issue. So basically, one of your backgrounds will also become visible when changing scene where it actually should be just black?

3. mardin

First Language:
    German
    I have 800 background pictures in the game, not in the same scene.

Yes, exactly. It also sometimes gets shown instead of a new background picture. Very weird. Restarting the game fixes it, but it cannot be the solution to restart the game every time.

4. MrNybbles

MrNybbles Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Have you tried clearing all the pictures?

This is really a shotgun solution to the problem if it works, but maybe you could do this between your fade-outs, fade-ins, and/or after exiting fast forward. I don't know if clearing the pictures a line before showing a new one will cause any flicker or other negative side effects.
    Code:
    $gameScreen.clearPictures();

mardin likes this.
  5. mardin

First Language:
    German
    that would be a lot of work, because I've quite a lot of fade-outs and fade-ins.

but I'm willing to try it if it could get rid of the issue. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it :).

6. mardin

First Language:
    German
    It did not fix the issue, unfortunetly.

It really is like a software bug!

7. Kentou

Kentou Admin Veteran

Hmm I think I can understand your issue but we would need a clearly reproducible case to figure that out. Maybe if you are able to get that bug again, maybe create a save game. Then when you load the save game if the bug immediately appears, if you send us your game and the save-game files it would probably help I think.

8. mardin

First Language:
    German
    Reloading and restarting the game fixes the issue. Don't think that a save would help narrowing it down.

Edit: Ok, so apparently, reloading doesn't fix the issue. I will try to get a save with the issue from one of my patreon supporters

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  9. Kentou

Kentou Admin Veteran

Hi, does that mean that this issue actually doesn't happen for yourself but only for one or more of your players? If the game is saved while the bug is present there is a chance that it will be immediately there if you load it. It is at least worth a try I think.

10. mardin

First Language:
    German
    Yes. For some of my players. I have had it happen to me as well, but only once and I didn't save. I remember that it did happen during a scene where I used "skip" (the control button) to fast forward the game.

The game is an adult niche game, and extremely popular, played by a large variety of players with different systems. But it is happening on Windows 64bit as well, and the game is exported and optimized for that.