ImaginaryVillain

Now A YouTube Cool Kid! =D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh I might release it for the Game Jam or something. I have to sanitize it of everything related to my actual game. It was after all a status menu mini game in my actual game.... Well back in that version of it. Still story bits, character models, secrets. Can't leave that in.

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
my bad decision is avoided to learn js and try to do complicate thing with event and rely on already exist plugin only
and look at me now... rework all of that waste time again when I learn js...
Happen to me a lot when I want to use shortcut that lead me to nowhere I want to go...

LVGames

Welcome to Sword Swinging Super Slashers®
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I learn focusing on my main game to much actually prevented me from trying out new ideas. I say its best to always have your main game you wanna work on. At the same time little side fun projects that are very small and you can do things on there you normally wouldn't do on your main game.
This allowed me to get better ideas going for all my projects in general.

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Making an open world game for my first big project with a team.

I've been working on it for four and a half years now. When it's finally done I'll consider it a crazy feat, but I've spent way too much money and time on it for what is essentially a first "real" project. Luckily, I've been working with RPG Maker long enough to know how my work ethic goes and how to work around stuff but the whole team aspect is completely new and that's held back the game quite a lot.

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think my main mistake for much of my career has been making whopping huge maps. First thing I did in RMXP was create a 500x500 map and start building towns and cities with nothing inbetween.

Since then I have learned to map using a game-frame sized window at all times. If it doesn't look good in-game there's no point.

You might get a beautiful, realistic river with meanders and all when zoomed out, but if the player in game just sees a mass of straight lines it's no good. Sometimes to look "real" in the game-frame, your maps look "unrealistic" when zoomed out.

In short it's about micromapping not macro.

Basileus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I had the same problem with massive world maps in the context of projects that were way too big. When I was starting out, the first thing I did when starting a project was to make the starting map massive and begin making it a giant world map. I thought it would be as easy as drawing the continents, putting down cities and dungeon on them, adding the interior maps, and then making dialogue boxes and stuff.

But then I need interior maps to the interior maps, with multiple interiors for anything with multiple floors. Then creating dungeon-like forest zones and things so it wasn't just walking from town to town to cave to town again. Then actually creating events to be NPCs and treasure chests. And somewhere around the 10th massive, failed project it really dawned on me just how much work it was to do even the basics, even with the RPG Maker software doing the heavy-lifting on a lot of things.

So I around that point I just made a simple quest that led to a big boss fight and ended the game, and pretended that the other 5 continents and assorted islands on the world map just didn't exist. I ended up making my first "proper" game as a single map murder mystery. Now I'm a lot more cautious about project scope and I'm just hoping to make even a simple 10 hour game that is enjoyable to play with good writing. Still working my way up to that (and trying to get better at the writing part) even after all these years.

Philosophus Vagus

The drunken bird dog of rpg maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My worst mistake was trying to fashion tactical battle system resembling a hybrid of fft and xcom. My programming skills are...well they aren't terrible, but they're also far from inspiring. More importantly I find coding to be incredibly dull and tiresome. In the beginning it wasn't so bad, but as I expanded from the baseline stuff, cursors, movement, direction etc and into more complicated stuff such as the enemy ai itself (especially in regards to using a cover system and all that), well what started as a hobby for me quickly ballooned into a constant slog through the most unfun aspects of said hobby and overtime it just killed my interest in game making entirely.

Now I'm kind of wedged into the sunk cost fallacy, in that I know that I'll never finish that game at this point, that it is beyond the scope of my interests to continue but at the same time I'm reluctant to move onto something else because I mean, the thing encompasses hundreds of hours of my life at this point, it's hard to let go of.

Moral of the story, ambition can be a great motivator, but to much ambition can poison the well of motivation until you've nothing left to draw from.

Former_Sky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My biggest mistake (which a lot of people fall into) is making a big first project. It was so hard to learn both how to make a story and use rpg maker. Then once you've spent years working on the game, you realize it's garbage. So you have the tough decision of polishing a turd or starting it all over, either one will be a huge blow to your confidence and ego. It took me years to get over that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Finally figured out how to make a signature with a pic that leads to a link, it's so cool! Click the image to check out my demo! :kaopride:
When you are very focus making a game on a Monday morning and doing your very best to make it perfect for your players. Than smile to take a break and realize it is Friday... o_o
Are there any vocalists on RPG Maker Forums that would want to sing together in a group, duet or make a whole channel together?
Here it is in all its leggy glory! I apologize in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skaethe