Bad RPG Maker Games

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Soulrender, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Soulrender

Soulrender Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Poland
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not so long ago, when I was looking for some cool tutorials and tricks for RPG Maker MV I found DustedUp channel where he is playing Bad RPG Maker Games.

I checked this forum for games made in RPG makers but there are too many of them. Do you have your types for games that are poorly made? I would play them, since TV doesn't air any good comedies and watching all of his videos about Bad RPGs I started to have better humour. Or if you have own video reviews on this subject I gladly watch / play them :)

Davox likes this.
  2. NinjaKittyProductions

NinjaKittyProductions Professional Murder Hobos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Seems vague and relies heavily on perspective. What necessarily counts as a bad rpg?

3. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Most people consider Gulpy Gulpy to be a bad RPG. I don't think you can find a copy of it anymore, but you can watch a youtube video of it.

Now if you mean non-RPGMaker games, there's quite a few from the DOS era that got pretty universally panned. Spelljammer (from 1992) is one of them due to the bugs or bad design decisions (it was panned by all reviewers I remember for using 2D flying combat after Wing Commander 1 and 2 had been released and showed you can do 3d space battles), and the game's plot is really short too and feels like it was written on a napkin and they just decided to go with it.

4. Soulrender

Soulrender Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Poland
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    - Mapping
    - Eventing
    - Storyline
    - Dialouges
    - Sprite cropping
    - Sprite design

Something like that - I recommend turn volume down due the noise in video.

Davox and TengHu like this.
  5. TengHu

TengHu Abscond Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    Holy crap! That..was awful.

6. Darth Equus

Darth Equus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    Land of Vruim comes to mind. Somewhat loud, turn down your volume:

I remember doing research before starting my project and looked up bad RPG Maker games to get an idea on how NOT to design mine. I remember seeing a video on YT playing a game where the main character's name was "Cack" (I kid you not), and it was about a demon kidnapping his friends and family during his first day at work.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Davox likes this.
  7. dulsi

dulsi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    While there are bad games I personally wouldn't start a video series that highlights them. While it might not start as mean spirited I've seen similar sorts of threads in other communities that have gone in bad directions.

atoms, Finnuval, Idiot and 1 other person like this.
  8. NoPiessadface

NoPiessadface Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  9. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I somehow knew this atrocity would have a video. While I'm not normally big on belittling other people's games, it's games like this that give RM games such a bad reputation:

This "franchise" is minimal-effort, buggy, unbalanced, is basically stock everything, and has more DLC than a Capcom game. WHHYYYYY~

Davox likes this.
  10. FleshToDust

FleshToDust Evented Madness Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Aesica Upon seeing the auto achievement unlocker, I assume that game is one of those games that people buy to get Steam Cards. They're not really games. People buy them for Cards which they can then sell for more money than they spent on the game. It's a scummy practice that lead to Steam Greenlight being closed.

Seacliff likes this.
  11. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, it's pretty lousy, but what sets this abomination apart from other achievement mill "games" is the fact that it's also loaded with DLC and buyable items:

[​IMG]

Note: That's about $20 when not on sale, and if that's not bad enough, one of the item store items (not shown) is $99.99.

Also, looking at the achievements, you only get about 37 compared to the literal thousands you can get from other achievement mills out there.

12. FleshToDust

FleshToDust Evented Madness Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I do wonder if anybody spent money on those dlc's considering the game is 1 dungeon long.

13. cthulhusquid

cthulhusquid Veteran Veteran

Here's the plot of my first and utterly terrible RPG Maker game that I tried to make. I never released it (still have it though, I play through it every so often for laughs). Lots of unbalanced stuff, broken and unfinished events, horrible maps, etc.

The first one I did was called "Magical Castle~Battle Knight". The title hardly has any relation to the actual game, it was supposed to be "JRPG-like" from the viewpoint of someone who never played a JRPG. Anyway, you start off as Ralph in an unnamed town. You talk with your friend Joseph, and do a bunch of complaining about how you want adventure. He brings up a rumor about some magic crystals that are "powerful and kingdom ruling", and are supposedly on another continent where a famous battle known as the "Tri-Battle" was fought. You need to get permission to leave the village, so as you are wandering around you find an elf about to be sacrificed in one of the village houses. You free her from the clutches of her captor, and find some magic crystal pieces in a crack in the wall. You then go to clan leader, Master Chung, and ask him to let you leave and search for the "Six Crystals of Power"*. After training with some of the village guard, he mentions you will be fighting the forces of Dragoth, who is some evil guy that wants to destroy the kingdom.*

He sends you to some place called the Wood Kingdom, with the main castle. On your way there, you can stop by a village full of random crap*. Inside, you talk with the king and the elf conveniently speaks up, mentioning the fact that she is an elf and that's important. The king tells you to go to the Snow Kingdom in the south* and the plot ends there as it was never finished. There is other stuff shoved in this tiny castle, like a guy who lets you hire more party members, a skeleton called Diablo, and a blond haired guy called "The WoW-God".* Both of them give you very difficult quests, sell overpowered and absurdly expensive gear, overuse the word "epic", and make all sorts of bad pop-culture references. The game basically separates from the established "lore" at this point, as this screenshot proves below.

[​IMG]

On top of all this absurdity, there is a tower on the world map that if you go in, you can't leave. Diablo traps you in Hell, which looks a lot like an Inn but filled with skeletons and lava. Ralph's ordeal and the tower are directly referenced in another one of the games I am working on, which took the good ideas from Magical Castle~Battle Knight and made them into something much better and cohesive. No matter how bad a project is, you can still find pieces that can get used.

* You didn't know the name of the crystals before, but now you do for sake of exposition.
    * The kingdom of what, you don't know.
    * There's a kid who's scared of a spider, a dragon statue comes to life and fights you twice in a row, and monster who is discriminated against and just wants to live in his house in peace.
    * You heard that right. Geography is no concern to magic kingdoms.
    * See above screenshot.