wonderjosh3000

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As a player I have found out that having two attackers and two supports breaks just about any game, throwing the entire game off balance. Way too little amount of games have well balanced gold economy.
Yeah that's a good point. I suppose that's where efficient testing comes into play. I wouldn't want to be able to breeze through a game, myself. If there's not even a bit of a challenge, you don't get that sense of fulfillment/achievement when beating that boss or completing that dungeon or puzzle or whatever. And you're right with the gold economy! I find if I have to grind for gold just for the next level of equipment, even after completing the previous dungeon and boss, that really irks me. But on the flipside, always having way more than enough gold that your characters are always geared up to the teeth in the best gear, that's no fun. If that's what you meant by gold economy, haha.

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As far as having an OP character, I was musing once over what a Sailor Moon RPG would look like. Basically only Sailor Moon would actually be able to defeat the enemies, and the other scouts would just have to be decoys or cover for her until she decides to actually use her overpowered move and finish the fight.
There already is one. And it's completely broken, and it's not because of Sailor Moon, but because of Sailor Pluto's Time Stop :)

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Actually, it's not just about having the latest items. Manx games can be finished with pretty obsolete gear. But you can just stock up on healing items and use two characters to throw them around while your two hitters take out the enemies. It's even easier if the game has enemies with mana, you just deplete their mana and then they're punching bags.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One of my games had a 4-man party with these roles:

-Battery. Main character focus was mostly on dealing high single-target damage and refilling party MP to allies.
-Healer. Second character, like the main character, also dealt high single-target damage. Healing was mostly heals over time, rather than single bursts.
-Tank. Third character dealt multi-target damage, and had strong survival skills to endure incoming hits.
-Damage. Fourth character dealt multi-target damage, and providing offensive buff support to allies.

After that, I shifted down to 3-man parties. It just feels better, in my opinion.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't balance characters by stats, but rather, by their ability sets. Going by the OP's formula of "good in 2 stats, average in 2, bad in 2" might sound reasonable at first, but any supposed balance that achieves goes out the window when you give one a more useful set of abilities than the others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just had a stranger SPRINT away from me in the grocery store. Talk about overreaction...
...I don't think I'm that ugly! ^-^
I wonder if I can go outside ye-

Government: lemme stop you right there
Alright, who's playing Jumanji? And whose turn is it?!
*Buys all the PVGames assets, ends up creating his own ground tiles.* At least I used the other types of graphics? Right? :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrOrgazm