Froggo32

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Im struggling with making balanced class stats and attacks. I dont want a certain attack to be too strong or too weak, or have a lvl 5 character having 200MP. Idk how to keep the damage and stats balanced, any ideas?

Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
RPG Maker Stat Balance

I usually just google it xD A lot of people have already discussed it and there is alot of useful information in those threads.

There is no simple solution afaik though. Gotta do a lot of testing.

The stat amount isnt that relevant, just ask yourself ''how many hits do i want my characters to endure before dying'' and then divive that number on about the total HP you would have at that point in the game.

So 5 hits, and character has 1000hp. well 1000/5 = 200. Enemy does roughly around 200 damage.

And then a mage can have 600 hp so it can only take 3 hits etc.

Same method with MP, how many spells do you want the character to cast before going empty?

Last edited:

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, Personally I prefer small numbers in my Game, Mostly single and two digit numbers. I believe smaller numbers are easier to fix and work around.

You can start with a damage formula like a.atk * 0.5 - b.def * 0.25. With a damage formula like this, Your 2 Digit numbers are converted into Lower numbers. So it doesn't matter even if your Stats are High, It will all average out sooner or later.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Without context, I would say the easiest way would be not increasing the stat on level up, or get rid level all together. So, all you have is a fixed number to play around.

G-G-Games

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've seen other threads which suggest using damage formulas like 2*a.atk/(a.atk+b.def) rather than subtracting defense from attack so that zero damage doesn't crop up (while also allowing defense to be zero).

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I personally dislike the stock/default RPG Maker formulas. It makes it so that ATK is valued more than DEF. You should aim for all stats being of equal value.

nankada

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also keep in mind the advantages and disadvantages of each class when planning stats and skills. It helps confine to a tighter balance and brainstorming.
e.g. For each class that is good/bad in certain stats and strong/weak against certain elements, and there is a class with opposite traits. Then remove the excess/repetitive ones.

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Create a nuetral baseline for all your balancing!

Good day human.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Best ways are to either dive into spreadsheet city or do trial and error. Lots of trial and error and lots of stat/skill adjustments.

LightBorneX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Like someone else said- establish a base-line ahead of time. I often start with "How long do I want it to take for a person to reach the end of the game?" and "How fast do I want a person to level per hour?" From there, I can determine how long I want each battle to last, and that determines how much damage a player's team should be doing each round depending on level. From there, you can determine how much an average player should be doing per turn per character. If at lv. 10 you want a character to be doing 200 a damage a round, you might make basic attacks worth 50, medium skills worth 200, and then uber skills doing 400-500 with a turn of cool down.

Of course, because you would know you want toons to hit 200 damage a round on average, you can add a lot of variety to how different characters do damage- one toon could do more and more damage each turn with combos, but have a risk of the combo breaking and starting back at 25 or 50 damage. You could have another toon that does 50 dam in an area of effect to hit 4 enemies for 200. You could have one toon that sacrifices HP to do extra damage, but it increases their chance of dying soon. Just depends on how you want to roll. This is why I love spreadsheets. I'm working on my average defense per level calculations right now, and figuring out how much base def vs armor def I want my characters and enemies to get.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The three big things to remember;
A) How does Attack work? This is the baseline. Do actors go down in 5 hits? 10 hits? 2 hits? It doesn't even have to be "Attack" but whatever the system uses for your consistent or reliable move (and if you don't have anything like that, then you have a far more unique game that has different wants).
2) How long do you want encounters to last? I go for a 'two turn' rule where a player can take down random encounters in two turns with minimal resource loss if they know what they are doing. Longer than that can feel like a drag, and I know of at least one user here who aims for one turn. Bosses are different, but I like the eight turn rule I heard somewhere, which is much longer than regular encounters and avoids HP sponge problems. But the important thing is to know what you are aiming for.
C) As long as you aren't using numbers as %, then they are entirely arbitrary. There is often no difference between everyone having average stats of 5, 50, and 5000. So instead you want to focus on the feel of numbers, which mechanically translates to "what difference in power or size of numbers do you want between the beginning and end of the game?". Not to undermine the other side of things because some people really like the crunch of small numbers or the power of large numbers or the absurdity of enormous numbers.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Introducing the premium bagel
I have a micro economics midterm tomorrow. I'm not worried.
Should be a...small exam :kaojoy:
While was working on one of the monsters that will appear in my horor game I may have made harold a Lovecraftian monster. (I used his head to keep things aligned.)
Finally got my website fixed and the security sorted so it's been a productive day. Can I go to sleep now? I mean... I don't need to work right?
It's always a good idea to refresh yourself on what your plugins do. I'm working on a map with opening walls, and I was about to tear my hair out over how much image editing and hand-constructing of autotiles I'd have to do, when I looked again and saw @Shaz 's Tile Changer could copy areas from another map.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ricansuave