Balancing a game with only one party member?

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by MechScapeZH, Jul 18, 2019.

1. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    About stun and berserk type of states.

If an enemy can stun the player, and the player can't move for a turn, even being the only player, I think that's acceptable as long as the enemy can't spam it and the player doesn't keep getting stun non-stop by other enemies. If it happens regularly or just slightly frequent, then yes I'd agree then it becomes more annoying. But I think otherwise a stun state could still work.

Berserk is more tricky but can work. If it lasts a single turn and doesn't happen frequent, or it's the player choice to add the state, then I think it can just about work and may be of use in the game.

About class skills, customizing skills and skills upon level up.

I'm not sure if you want to do this either, but since you've got a single player you could either give that player the ability to change classes or give that player many muti-class skills and let the player customize them. A player could equip skills through equipment or gain many skills upon level up but can only skill-equip some of them.

You can mix or match it too, I.e. For example, the player learns some skills upon levelling up (I recommend this, having level up skillsets) and then the player can equip more skills by purchasing certain accessories. (Personally I like that type of idea).

Just trying to find some suggestions and thoughts for you there.

MechScapeZH likes this.
  2. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I don't have much to contribute, I just want to say that I was about to make a thread on how to make a good RPG where you are basically a playable boss who fights hordes of enemies by himself, but in a way, this is kind of the same question. I might have to take notes from this because I have a feature in a game I was making a while ago where character is could turn into Big Boss versions of themselves, and I eventually realized how poorly this feature was handled, and I am trying to make a new RPG to get a better idea of how would I handle something like that.

MechScapeZH likes this.
  3. MechScapeZH

MechScapeZH Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Re: turning into a boss- I actually had the same feature in an older project of mine that has since been lost. Here's how I handled it: the transformation lasts only a certain number of turns, and if hit with a certain element (depending on the form taken, the element the player is weak to changes), the transformation is automatically canceled. Some late-game have their AI programmed to hit the player with the element they're weak to.

I hope this helps. :)

4. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I don't know, that sounds like it would make the feature more trouble than it's worth. Besides, in the one I'm making right now, you are a big boss monster the whole entire time.

MechScapeZH likes this.